freestyle advice

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by nutwheel, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. nutwheel

    nutwheel Guest

    Tags:

  2. Goatman!

    Goatman! Guest

  3. jsm

    jsm Guest

    I'm planning on buying the second one as soon as I collect the necessary
    funds. (Probably six months to a year.) The long neck frame, from what I
    have heard is great for freestyle, especially stand-up tricks.

    --
    jsm - Unicycle-less and Desperate.

    Jonathan Miersma - Unicyclist, Violinist, and Juggler
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  4. UniBrier

    UniBrier Guest

    If your Torker seat and wheelset are in good shape you can just buy the
    'Semcycle Long Neck Frame'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=696) and a 'GB4
    Universal Seat Post'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=608) and use your old
    uni parts and upgrade later.

    You can also buy the 'Semcycle Longneck Standard'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=685) to stay within
    your budget.

    My Andrea is riding a Sem Longneck, Miyata seat & post, and Torker
    wheelset. Someday I'll get her a nicer looking wheelset.

    The 'Longneck with Kovachi Wheel'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=697) mentioned by
    Goatman is a little above your stated budget but one nice setup.

    --
    UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

    Steve De Cuckoo

    "Only an idiot would try to ride a pointed stick with a wheel on the
    bottom." - ‘tiped again’ on the early stages of mastering the uni.

    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

  5. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    For a muni rider basically just dinking around on a freestyle uni, I've
    found the KH 20, at 215 bucks shipped, to be a perfectly good unit to
    break my neck.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  6. caw89

    caw89 Guest

  7. jsm

    jsm Guest

    The KH freestyle would be good for most freestyle, but I don't think the
    crown is right for stand-up tricks.

    --
    jsm - Unicycle-less and Desperate.

    Jonathan Miersma - Unicyclist, Violinist, and Juggler
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  8. well, no. It wont be ideal for stand up tricks, but I dont think it
    would be terrible either. Sure, it's slanted, but theres a pretty big
    foot patch to work with.

    --
    Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

    BLAH!
    Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

  9. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    jsm wrote:
    > *The KH freestyle would be good for most freestyle, but I don't think
    > the crown is right for stand-up tricks. *

    If the sloped crown of the KH freestyle uni doesn't work well for
    standup you could wrap a lot of hockey tape around it to level it off.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

  10. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    caw89 wrote:
    > *You should get the torker Dx it works great fo freestyle and if you
    > want to do trials or street it works for that to
    > http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=764 *

    The Torker Dx is a great uni (from what I heard) but i don't think it's
    ideal for freestyle for several reasons.
    1 the frame is wide at the top
    2 the cranks are splined, they are great for strength, but they are only
    available in 2 sizes, 127 and 52mm. Freestylers like shorter cranks
    3 the frame isn't as light as others
    4 the frame doesn't have a long neck so the clamp is closer to the
    crown

    I'd say a good option is to get the sem longneck frame and put it on
    your Torker LX wheelset. The LX uses a square taper hub so you can get
    almost any crank length you want for it. If you need a stronger
    wheelset, look at the fully buit up unicycles using the semlongneck
    frame on unicycle.com.

    Hope that helps,
    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My Xanga' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  11. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    caw89 wrote:
    > *You should get the torker Dx it works great fo freestyle and if you
    > want to do trials or street it works for that to
    > http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=764 *

    The Torker Dx is a great uni (from what I heard) but i don't think it's
    ideal for freestyle for several reasons.
    1 the frame is wide at the top
    2 the cranks are splined, they are great for strength, but they are only
    available in 2 sizes, 127 and 52mm. Freestylers like shorter cranks
    3 the frame isn't as light as others
    4 the frame doesn't have a long neck so the clamp is closer to the
    crown

    I'd say a good option is to get the sem longneck frame and put it on
    your Torker LX wheelset. The LX uses a square taper hub so you can get
    almost any crank length you want for it. If you need a stronger
    wheelset, look at the fully buit up unicycles using the semlongneck
    frame on unicycle.com.

    Hope that helps,
    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My Xanga' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  12. jagur

    jagur Guest

    daino149 wrote:
    > *I'd say a good option is to get the sem longneck frame and put it on
    > your Torker LX wheelset*

    been there, done that. get the Torker DX 20" its a better freestyle uni
    from the get go.

    --
    jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

    -Forget_Your_Life-
    --------------------------------------
    || ----- * MUNI MILITIA * -----||
    ||-*One Wheeled Death Squad*-||
    --------------------------------------

  13. nutwheel

    nutwheel Guest

  14. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    The Torker does look like the best deal. Its got alot of very good
    parts/placement things that makes it look like it would be great for
    Freestyle.

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!

    I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^=