Freeway Bike Hike Haiku

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by byron27, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number" were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the early morning sunrise:

    " A1083,
    D4385,
    stickers litter the bikepath."

    ah so :p

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
    > racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
    > the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
    > everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
    > were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
    > early morning sunrise:
    >
    > " A1083,
    > D4385,
    > stickers litter the bikepath."

    is not true haiku
    five seven five syllabal
    not five five seven

    haiku hippy

  3. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    doh!

    "A1083,
    is the call of the bike hike,
    number of freedom"

    is that better?

  4. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    It should also have some reference to the season...

    I dreamed one up a while ago, on the first ride of my Audax bike:

    "Cycle made by hand.
    Heat from torch infused in steel.
    Springtime wanderings."

    It's corny, I know.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  5. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    stick number on frame
    ride in group on freeway road
    bike hike free like wind

    SteveA

  6. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    "sitting on the wheel,
    calm, hot morning, perth autumn,
    riders drop like leaves"

  7. byron27 wrote:

    > As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
    > racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
    > the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
    > everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
    > were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
    > early morning sunrise:
    >
    > " A1083,
    > D4385,
    > stickers litter the bikepath."
    >
    > ah so :p

    Not the freeway bike hike, but it is the freeway:

    Ride by the freeway
    Bumper to bumper traffic
    A Schadenfreude

    DEF

  8. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    Brilliant!

    And they say the Simpsons aren't educational. Homer is the master of Schadenfreude, as ashamedly pointed out by Lisa.

  9. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Duncan Farrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > byron27 wrote:
    >
    >> As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
    >> racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
    >> the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
    >> everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
    >> were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
    >> early morning sunrise:
    >>
    >> " A1083,
    >> D4385,
    >> stickers litter the bikepath." ah so :p
    >>

    > Not the freeway bike hike, but it is the freeway:
    >
    > Ride by the freeway
    > Bumper to bumper traffic
    > A Schadenfreude
    >
    > DEF

    hehehe...I'll pay that one. :)

  10. Quokka

    Quokka Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > "Duncan Farrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>byron27 wrote:
    >>

    >>>As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
    >>>racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
    >>>the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
    >>>everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
    >>>were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
    >>>early morning sunrise:
    >>>
    >>>" A1083,
    >>>D4385,
    >>>stickers litter the bikepath." ah so :p
    >>>

    >>Not the freeway bike hike, but it is the freeway:
    >>
    >>Ride by the freeway
    >>Bumper to bumper traffic
    >>A Schadenfreude

    This will be going through my head as I do the morning
    commute tomorrow...

    Schadenfreude.. one of my favourite words...

    Paul

  11. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Very good, Duncan.

    This thread suggests some very deep questions -
    Does cycling lend itself to the rhythm of the haiku?
    Or does the intellectual dimension of cycling parallel that of the haiku?

    Or perhaps just one very simple question -
    Why aren't we working instead of composing Japanese poetry at our desks?

    SteveA:eek:

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    SteveA wrote:
    > Or perhaps just one very simple question -
    > Why aren't we working instead of composing Japanese poetry at our
    > desks?

    Shhh.. you'll wake the boss
    a dot b haiku takes time
    time well spent at work

    hippy

  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 at 02:05 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > byron27 wrote:
    >> " A1083,
    >> D4385,
    >> stickers litter the bikepath."

    > is not true haiku
    > five seven five syllabal
    > not five five seven
    >
    > haiku hippy

    Can not make haiku
    from Haiku Happy Hippy
    without seasoning

    And why is it that haikus have been brought up on 3 of the froups I
    frequent, in a single day?

    Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.
    -- Robert Firth

  14. Marty

    Marty Guest

    suzyj wrote:
    > byron27 Wrote:
    >
    >>doh!
    >>
    >>"A1083,
    >>is the call of the bike hike,
    >>number of freedom"
    >>
    >>is that better?

    > It should also have some reference to the season...
    >
    > I dreamed one up a while ago, on the first ride of my Audax bike:
    >
    > "Cycle made by hand.
    > Heat from torch infused in steel.
    > Springtime wanderings."
    >
    > It's corny, I know.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy

    That's the advantage that sport has over art.
    If you win a race then generally it's clear cut. Everyone can see who
    the winner is and there's no argument.
    In art, and/or poetry, anybody can say that's dumb or corny, and it's
    difficult to prove that it's not. Critics have an easy time in art. In
    sport the results speak for themselves. Give me sport any day.

    Marty

  15. Girls racing for cash
    Overtaken by A men
    Autumn freeway blues

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Marty wrote:
    > That's the advantage that sport has over art.
    > If you win a race then generally it's clear cut. Everyone can see who
    > the winner is and there's no argument.
    > In art, and/or poetry, anybody can say that's dumb or corny, and it's
    > difficult to prove that it's not. Critics have an easy time in art. In
    > sport the results speak for themselves. Give me sport any day.

    Sport? Sure.. we can do that.. how about some...
    Rythmic gymnastics?
    Synchronized swimming?
    Dressage?
    Flatland BMX?

    I understand what you mean though. I like the idea of jumping 'this'
    high or riding 'this' fast rather than some 'expert' voting for the
    Russian dude because they went to school together..

    hippy
    - sorry that wasn't in haiku

  17. SteveA

    SteveA New Member