Freeway Bike Hike Haiku

byron27

New Member
Oct 19, 2003
As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number" were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the early morning sunrise:

" A1083,
D4385,
stickers litter the bikepath."

ah so :p

byron27 wrote:
> As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
> racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
> the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
> everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
> were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
> early morning sunrise:
>
> " A1083,
> D4385,
> stickers litter the bikepath."

is not true haiku
five seven five syllabal
not five five seven

haiku hippy

hippy said:
byron27 wrote:
> As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
> racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
> the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
> everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
> were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
> early morning sunrise:
>
> " A1083,
> D4385,
> stickers litter the bikepath."

is not true haiku
five seven five syllabal
not five five seven

haiku hippy
doh!

"A1083,
is the call of the bike hike,
number of freedom"

is that better?

byron27 said:
doh!

"A1083,
is the call of the bike hike,
number of freedom"

is that better?

It should also have some reference to the season...

I dreamed one up a while ago, on the first ride of my Audax bike:

"Cycle made by hand.
Heat from torch infused in steel.
Springtime wanderings."

It's corny, I know.

Regards,

Suzy

byron27 said:
doh!

"A1083,
is the call of the bike hike,
number of freedom"

is that better?

stick number on frame
ride in group on freeway road
bike hike free like wind

SteveA

SteveA said:
stick number on frame
ride in group on freeway road
bike hike free like wind

SteveA
"sitting on the wheel,
calm, hot morning, perth autumn,
riders drop like leaves"

byron27 wrote:

> As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
> racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
> the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
> everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
> were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
> early morning sunrise:
>
> " A1083,
> D4385,
> stickers litter the bikepath."
>
> ah so :p

Not the freeway bike hike, but it is the freeway:

Ride by the freeway
Bumper to bumper traffic
A Schadenfreude

DEF

Duncan Farrow said:
byron27 wrote:

> As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
> racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
> the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
> everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
> were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
> early morning sunrise:
>
> " A1083,
> D4385,
> stickers litter the bikepath."
>
> ah so :p

Not the freeway bike hike, but it is the freeway:

Ride by the freeway
Bumper to bumper traffic
A Schadenfreude

DEF
Brilliant!

And they say the Simpsons aren't educational. Homer is the master of Schadenfreude, as ashamedly pointed out by Lisa.

"Duncan Farrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> byron27 wrote:
>
>> As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
>> racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
>> the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
>> everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
>> were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
>> early morning sunrise:
>>
>> " A1083,
>> D4385,
>> stickers litter the bikepath." ah so :p
>>

> Not the freeway bike hike, but it is the freeway:
>
> Ride by the freeway
> Bumper to bumper traffic
> A Schadenfreude
>
> DEF

hehehe...I'll pay that one. :)

Resound wrote:
> "Duncan Farrow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>byron27 wrote:
>>

>>>As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
>>>racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
>>>the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
>>>everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
>>>were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
>>>early morning sunrise:
>>>
>>>" A1083,
>>>D4385,
>>>stickers litter the bikepath." ah so :p
>>>

>>Not the freeway bike hike, but it is the freeway:
>>
>>Ride by the freeway
>>Bumper to bumper traffic
>>A Schadenfreude

This will be going through my head as I do the morning
commute tomorrow...

Schadenfreude.. one of my favourite words...

Paul

Duncan Farrow said:
byron27 wrote:

> As i was heading hills this morning i was riding past belmont
> racecourse, the start of the bike hike on sunday, and the remnants of
> the days riding in the guise of those little frame stickers with
> everyones grade "a through to d" and number "0000 to some high number"
> were everywhere. Anyhow, it inspired a little bikehike haiku in the
> early morning sunrise:
>
> " A1083,
> D4385,
> stickers litter the bikepath."
>
> ah so :p

Not the freeway bike hike, but it is the freeway:

Ride by the freeway
Bumper to bumper traffic
A Schadenfreude

DEF

Very good, Duncan.

This thread suggests some very deep questions -
Does cycling lend itself to the rhythm of the haiku?
Or does the intellectual dimension of cycling parallel that of the haiku?

Or perhaps just one very simple question -
Why aren't we working instead of composing Japanese poetry at our desks?

SteveA:eek:

SteveA wrote:
> Or perhaps just one very simple question -
> Why aren't we working instead of composing Japanese poetry at our
> desks?

Shhh.. you'll wake the boss
a dot b haiku takes time
time well spent at work

hippy

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 at 02:05 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> byron27 wrote:
>> " A1083,
>> D4385,
>> stickers litter the bikepath."

> is not true haiku
> five seven five syllabal
> not five five seven
>
> haiku hippy

Can not make haiku
from Haiku Happy Hippy
without seasoning

And why is it that haikus have been brought up on 3 of the froups I
frequent, in a single day?

Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.
-- Robert Firth

suzyj wrote:
> byron27 Wrote:
>
>>doh!
>>
>>"A1083,
>>is the call of the bike hike,
>>number of freedom"
>>
>>is that better?

> It should also have some reference to the season...
>
> I dreamed one up a while ago, on the first ride of my Audax bike:
>
> "Cycle made by hand.
> Heat from torch infused in steel.
> Springtime wanderings."
>
> It's corny, I know.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy

That's the advantage that sport has over art.
If you win a race then generally it's clear cut. Everyone can see who
the winner is and there's no argument.
In art, and/or poetry, anybody can say that's dumb or corny, and it's
difficult to prove that it's not. Critics have an easy time in art. In
sport the results speak for themselves. Give me sport any day.

Marty

Girls racing for cash
Overtaken by A men
Autumn freeway blues

Marty wrote:
> That's the advantage that sport has over art.
> If you win a race then generally it's clear cut. Everyone can see who
> the winner is and there's no argument.
> In art, and/or poetry, anybody can say that's dumb or corny, and it's
> difficult to prove that it's not. Critics have an easy time in art. In
> sport the results speak for themselves. Give me sport any day.

Sport? Sure.. we can do that.. how about some...
Rythmic gymnastics?
Synchronized swimming?
Dressage?
Flatland BMX?

I understand what you mean though. I like the idea of jumping 'this'
high or riding 'this' fast rather than some 'expert' voting for the
Russian dude because they went to school together..

hippy
- sorry that wasn't in haiku

hippy said:
Marty wrote:
> That's the advantage that sport has over art.
> If you win a race then generally it's clear cut. Everyone can see who
> the winner is and there's no argument.
> In art, and/or poetry, anybody can say that's dumb or corny, and it's
> difficult to prove that it's not. Critics have an easy time in art. In
> sport the results speak for themselves. Give me sport any day.

Sport? Sure.. we can do that.. how about some...
Rythmic gymnastics?
Synchronized swimming?
Dressage?
Flatland BMX?

I understand what you mean though. I like the idea of jumping 'this'
high or riding 'this' fast rather than some 'expert' voting for the
Russian dude because they went to school together..

hippy
- sorry that wasn't in haiku

Sport competition
fastest highest or longest