Freewheel Body

Outlook

Apr 3, 2009
I have a persistent noise from my Fulcrum 1 rear wheel, whihc the LBS says ius becuase the Freewheel body is worn. The Wheel has done about 32k kms, but I would like to know
  • Is this reasonable wear and tear for this number of Kilometres?
  • How easy is this for me to replace myself?
Thanks
Anthony, Melbourne - Australia

Outlook said:
I have a persistent noise from my Fulcrum 1 rear wheel, whihc the LBS says ius becuase the Freewheel body is worn. The Wheel has done about 32k kms, but I would like to know
  • Is this reasonable wear and tear for this number of Kilometres?
  • How easy is this for me to replace myself?
Thanks
Anthony, Melbourne - Australia

Maybe just the outer bearing of the freehub body. I think it's a standard 6703(I'm at home). Easy to change. BUT freehub bodies on these and ther Campagnolo hubs don't really 'wear out'. The bearings and pawls can be replaced.

What kind of noise is it?

Peter@vecchios said:
Maybe just the outer bearing of the freehub body. I think it's a standard 6703(I'm at home). Easy to change. BUT freehub bodies on these and ther Campagnolo hubs don't really 'wear out'. The bearings and pawls can be replaced.

What kind of noise is it?

Thanks.... When I freewheel, I get a metallic groan from the back wheel.... It si not really a clicking sound, but it certainly is from the freewheel.It may be the bearing as you say, whichj sounds a less expensive option.

Outlook said:
Thanks.... When I freewheel, I get a metallic groan from the back wheel.... It si not really a clicking sound, but it certainly is from the freewheel.It may be the bearing as you say, whichj sounds a less expensive option.

Take it apart, clean well, replace the 5/32 bearing balls(30 of them in a cage-reuse the cage), spin the freehub body outer bearing in your finger, replace if toasted. Regrease(oil on the pawls), reassemble. Check the cones, also replaceable. If this sounds daunting have a good bike shop do it that 'qui si parla Campagnolo'(speaks Campagnolo).