Freewheel capacity of old Campy Victory rear derailleur

* * Chas

Guest
I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find the tooth
capacity for an original model Campy Victory rear derailleur.

Does anyone know this?

Chas.

On Nov 22, 1:12 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find the tooth
> capacity for an original model Campy Victory rear derailleur.
>
> Does anyone know this?
>
> Chas.

Largest rear sprocket: 30T Chain wrap capacity: 26T, both for the
"Nouvo Victory" #102045. It might be a 28T sprocket for an 'original'
Victory.

* * Chas wrote:
> I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find the tooth
> capacity for an original model Campy Victory rear derailleur.
> Does anyone know this?

long or short model?

The #18 book doesn't list but these no-top-spring versions are sensitive
to front gear range. With a 10t front, up to 24t short and 32t long IIRC.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find the tooth
> > capacity for an original model Campy Victory rear derailleur.
> > Does anyone know this?

> long or short model?
>
> The #18 book doesn't list but these no-top-spring versions are sensitive
> to front gear range. With a 10t front, up to 24t short and 32t long

IIRC.
> --
> Andrew Muzi

Thanks, it's a 1988 short model.

My catalog #18 doesn't list any Victory components.

I have two Suntour 6 speed freewheels in good condition except the removal
slots are torn up - 13-26 & 13-28.

I'd like to run the 13-28.

Once I put one on I may have problems getting it off if it doesn't work
with my chainrings and the RD.

I'd like to run 52-38 or 52-39 chainrings.

Chas.

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:41:55 -0600, A Muzi wrote:

> * * Chas wrote:
>> I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find the tooth
>> capacity for an original model Campy Victory rear derailleur.
>> Does anyone know this?

> long or short model?
>
> The #18 book doesn't list but these no-top-spring versions are sensitive
> to front gear range. With a 10t front, up to 24t short and 32t long IIRC.

Don't think I've ever seen a 10 tooth gear on the front...

"_" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:41:55 -0600, A Muzi wrote:
>
> > * * Chas wrote:
> >> I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find the tooth
> >> capacity for an original model Campy Victory rear derailleur.
> >> Does anyone know this?

> > long or short model?
> >
> > The #18 book doesn't list but these no-top-spring versions are

sensitive
> > to front gear range. With a 10t front, up to 24t short and 32t long

IIRC.

> Don't think I've ever seen a 10 tooth gear on the front...

I think what Andrew meant was a 10 tooth difference between the largest
and smallest chainrings.

Chas.

"John Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2007-11-22, * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find the tooth
> > capacity for an original model Campy Victory rear derailleur.
> >
> > Does anyone know this?

> Which version of the rear derailleur? The race version could handle up
> to 28T freewheel; the leisure version up tp 32T.
>
> http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/catalogs/victory.pdf
>
> --
>
> John ([email protected])

It's the Corsa race versions and it looks like a 28T FW will work with
this derailleur.

Thanks.

Chas.

On Nov 22, 3:02 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > * * Chas wrote:
> > > I've looked all over the web and haven't been able to find the tooth
> > > capacity for an original model Campy Victory rear derailleur.
> > > Does anyone know this?

> > long or short model?

> > The #18 book doesn't list but these no-top-spring versions are sensitive
> > to front gear range. With a 10t front, up to 24t short and 32t long

> IIRC.
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi

> Thanks, it's a 1988 short model.
>
> My catalog #18 doesn't list any Victory components.
>
> I have two Suntour 6 speed freewheels in good condition except the removal
> slots are torn up - 13-26 & 13-28.

I've a 6sp Suntour "Perfect" FW (13-28) with probably less than 300
miles on it. It needs a good home. It's yours for the cost of postage.
Let me know via email if you're interested.

* * Chas wrote:
> Thanks, it's a 1988 short model.
> My catalog #18 doesn't list any Victory components.
> I have two Suntour 6 speed freewheels in good condition except the removal
> slots are torn up - 13-26 & 13-28.
> I'd like to run the 13-28.
> Once I put one on I may have problems getting it off if it doesn't work
> with my chainrings and the RD.
> I'd like to run 52-38 or 52-39 chainrings.

Campagnolo's basic short cage with no top spring was traditionally
listed as "14~28" (GranSport, Record, N Record etc) but that suggestion
dates from an era of 49/51 front chainrings. Once 42/52 became standard,
it was an unreasonable expectation.

The listing I found for the Victory long and short was the 'Houston'
book, 18bis but no actual numbers on gear range there.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> long or short model?
> >> The #18 book doesn't list but these no-top-spring versions are

sensitive
> >> to front gear range. With a 10t front, up to 24t short and 32t long

> > IIRC.

> * * Chas wrote:
> > Thanks, it's a 1988 short model.
> > My catalog #18 doesn't list any Victory components.
> > I have two Suntour 6 speed freewheels in good condition except the

removal
> > slots are torn up - 13-26 & 13-28.
> > I'd like to run the 13-28.
> > Once I put one on I may have problems getting it off if it doesn't

work
> > with my chainrings and the RD.
> > I'd like to run 52-38 or 52-39 chainrings.

> Campagnolo's basic short cage with no top spring was traditionally
> listed as "14~28" (GranSport, Record, N Record etc) but that suggestion
> dates from an era of 49/51 front chainrings. Once 42/52 became standard,
> it was an unreasonable expectation.
>
> The listing I found for the Victory long and short was the 'Houston'
> book, 18bis but no actual numbers on gear range there.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi

Thanks for the insights. I checked my old Sutherlands 5th edition and it
says 28T maximum. So I'm set.

BTW, I found some Celeste cable housing at a LBS in Oregon. They had a
whole roll but would only part with about 7' of the stuff.

Chas.

Andrew Muzi wrote:
> Campagnolo's basic short cage with no top spring was traditionally
> listed as "14~28" (GranSport, Record, N Record etc) but that suggestion
> dates from an era of 49/51 front chainrings....

Was a two (2) tooth (T) chainring difference enough to make a front
derailer worthwhile? Sheldon states a three (3) tooth difference was
typical: <http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-theory.html#halfstep>. The more
recent half-step gearing I have seen has been 52T/48T, for a four (4)
tooth difference.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

A Muzi <[email protected]> writes:

>Campagnolo's basic short cage with no top spring was traditionally
>listed as "14~28" (GranSport, Record, N Record etc) but that suggestion
>dates from an era of 49/51 front chainrings. Once 42/52 became standard,
>it was an unreasonable expectation.

That's weird my 14-30 / 42-52 seems to work with my 1970 raleigh
international and nuovo record mech. The gearing choice was arrived
at by mistake. Maybe that's why it works. Don't think about the gear
ratios as you set up the rear mech as it can read your mind and will
resist wide ratios ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA

With just the right angle, correct axle placement, correct chain
length, and correct derailleur angle, 29T or even 30T is possible with
a nuovo record mech. The victory and triomphe derailleurs, I believe,
have the same cage geometry.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA