Freewheel on fixed hub?

friedmikey

Jan 20, 2005
Can I run a freewheel on a track hub with fixed (lockring) threads? For example, can I use a standard Shimano freewheel on a Campagnolo Record Pista hub? My gut says yes, since they're both 24 TPI, right? But then what about the width? I want to know for sure if it'll work before ordering parts. I've searched and searched (Sheldon Brown, etc.), but have not found a definitive answer.

And yes, I know I could just run a fixed/free flip-flop hub, but I'm a sucker for aesthetics and I just don't want that extra set of threads if I don't have to have it.

Yes yes yes... I knew I'd hear that first. I've got no personal interest in fixed gear at the moment. The bike I'm building is for purposes where a fixed just wouldn't make sense. So now that the inevitable's out of the way, can we get back to my question?

friedmikey said:
Can I run a freewheel on a track hub with fixed (lockring) threads? For example, can I use a standard Shimano freewheel on a Campagnolo Record Pista hub?
Not sure exactly what you are asking here...

A track hub with lockring by its very nature allows no freewheeling, so no, you can't.

You can definitely have a singlespeed freewheel. But you'll have to change the hub to a freewheel hub.

Not sure about the campy/shimano compatability in that area. I'd guess no. Its rare that anything campy/shimano works together, thats the whole point I guess.

Let me see if I can clarify. I'm going to be building a set of wheels for a single speed. I don't have any parts yet...

mezzinator said:
...A track hub with lockring by its very nature allows no freewheeling, so no, you can't.

You can definitely have a singlespeed freewheel. But you'll have to change the hub to a freewheel hub...

I'm talking about using a track hub, but with the lockring left off. I want to thread on a Shimano or White Industries freewheel. From what I can gather so far, the threads on a singlespeed freewheel hub are the same as the threads on a fixed hub (ignoring the smaller-diameter outer threads for the lockring, which I won't be using). The threading seems to be mostly standard across manufacturers (Shimano, Campy, WI, Paul, Phil Wood, whatever), at 24 TPI. In other words, the threads are all the same, the only material difference being the depth of the threads. Am I right?

In other words, the threads are all the same, the only material difference being the depth of the threads. Am I right?

I don't think you'd engage the entire threading of the freewheel. it may stick on, but the more important question is: why don't you just buy a freewheel hub?? if you don't want to run fixed, why buy a track hub?

I'd be happy to buy a freewheel-specific hub. Can you tell me of one that is Record-quality, 120mm spacing, single speed, 32 hole, preferably not threaded on the opposite side (not flip-flop)?

friedmikey said:
I'm talking about using a track hub, but with the lockring left off.
I suggest you take the lockring off and try riding it......... ;)

The lockring merely prevents the cog from coming off. You are going to have to get a freewheel specific hub, not a track hub.

There are many on the market and your question is kind of 'How long is a piece of string'?.

If you know what kind of rim you want to run on it, take the rim into your LBS and they'll more than likey have one with the right amount of holes. If not, an internet search will find many hubs.

You can get freewheels that will thread on to your hub just like a track sprocket. You won't need a lockring, since there is no backwards force due to the nature of the freewheel.

Go along to your LBS and tell them what you want.

These will do the job.

Yes you can run a freewheel on a track hub, the threading is the same. On my race SS hardtail I run a flip-flop hub w/ a freewheel on both sides. There is just enough threads on the track cog side for a freewheel to screw on to. It gives me 2 options on SS gearing instead of one depending on the race course.

Running a freewheel on the track side has yet to be a problem.

Craig

I just built a wheel using the Surly fixed/fixed track hub thinking I could use a freewheel on one side and a track cog on the other. The shop that sold me the hub said they have had no trouble at all with people using a freewheel on one side, the only issue being that only half the threads are used. Seems to be a pretty beefy hub though, so I'm not worried about it.

Of course, after riding my fixed gear for two days, I have no desire to put a freewheel on there. But, that's for another topic...

FlipFlop38 said:
..just built a wheel using the Surly fixed/fixed track hub.. t...they have had no trouble at all with people using a freewheel on one side, the only issue being that only half the threads are used....
With the Surly hub...i know the AC racing 15T freewheel i used on it last year needed spacers to avoid rubbing on the hub but other than that there's plenty of thread for a freewheel.

mezzinator said:
Not sure exactly what you are asking here...

A track hub with lockring by its very nature allows no freewheeling, so no, you can't.
You can definitely have a singlespeed freewheel. But you'll have to change the hub to a freewheel hub.
QUOTE]

It isnt the hub that prevents freewheeling it is the applied cog. Does the hub have right thand threads and left hand threads on the same side? If the freewheel threads onto the hub with no drama (be careful) then it will work. Using a pista hub for a freewheel is like putting a ford engine in a chevy. You just dont do it. I dont think the threads will match.

friedmikey said:
I'd be happy to buy a freewheel-specific hub. Can you tell me of one that is Record-quality, 120mm spacing, single speed, 32 hole, preferably not threaded on the opposite side (not flip-flop)?
Try eBay.

friedmikey said:
Let me see if I can clarify. I'm going to be building a set of wheels for a single speed. I don't have any parts yet...

I'm talking about using a track hub, but with the lockring left off. I want to thread on a Shimano or White Industries freewheel. From what I can gather so far, the threads on a singlespeed freewheel hub are the same as the threads on a fixed hub (ignoring the smaller-diameter outer threads for the lockring, which I won't be using). The threading seems to be mostly standard across manufacturers (Shimano, Campy, WI, Paul, Phil Wood, whatever), at 24 TPI. In other words, the threads are all the same, the only material difference being the depth of the threads. Am I right?
HI

Im currently building a fixed with a flip flop hub so I can also have a freewheel. All the hub suppliers I have had contact with assured me I couold use a double fixed flipflop but still use a freewheel on one side. So logically you can run a freewheel on a track hub,. But I am no expert!

ishiwata said:
I don't think you'd engage the entire threading of the freewheel. it may stick on, but the more important question is: why don't you just buy a freewheel hub?? if you don't want to run fixed, why buy a track hub?
I have to agree with ishiwata here. Some of the threads on the freewheel might not engage but as long as you are a smooth spinner, I think you'd be okay. But if you are a masher that you slam those cranks, you run the risk of shredding the threads.
I can only guess why you want to use a track hub. You prolly want to go fixed in the future and do some track racing.
I say do the build with a freewheel hub and when the time comes that you want to go fixed, just take out the freewheel and replace it with a track cog. What I've done to lock the cog is put a thin BB spacer after the cog and then put the BB lock ring. Works for me so YMMV.

Excuse me for digging up an OLD thread. I am desperately seeking a
15T freewheel. :eek:
I read on Sheldon Brown's site that AC RACING used to make a 15T freewheel. Any ideas on where I can still get one? Know someone with one? Thanks for any help/tips.

Why do I NEED 15? I had a 15T sprocket with 32 chainring for a long time and loved it. Just bought a new wheel with a Surly hub & need a freewheel..UGH. I didn't think I would have a problem finding a 15T freewheel. :( So, my hub has an 18T going right now and I will need to change to a 36 chain ring to get to a 2:1 ratio... perhaps a 17T. This would also result in replacing my bash ring. Ugh.. I just really liked the 32/15.

SimplySingle said:
Excuse me for digging up an OLD thread. I am desperately seeking a
15T freewheel. :eek:
I read on Sheldon Brown's site that AC RACING used to make a 15T freewheel. Any ideas on where I can still get one? Know someone with one? Thanks for any help/tips.
Try http://danscomp.com/. They specialize in BMX stuff.

Don't forget to order the ACS (or, whichever brand you choose) freewheel removal tool.

alfeng said:
Try http://danscomp.com/. They specialize in BMX stuff.

Don't forget to order the ACS (or, whichever brand you choose) freewheel removal tool.
Just remember that BMX stuff won't fit on standard road hubs. I made the mistake of purchasing an ACS BMX hub that didn't fit. There is no regular 15T freewheel anymore...From the Harris Cyclery site: "OUT OF STOCK INDEFINITELY. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT US ABOUT THIS PRODUCT."

I have an AC racing 15T freewheel and used it for a while. Problem with it was that you could only use it on certain hubs or it would rub against the spokes. This was true with the Surly New Hub and a Formula Hub I had. Even with 2 spacers it would still rub.

Damn shame though, the freewheel action was smooth as butter, no clicks....

A quick search on eBay turned up nothing, good luck.