Freewheel problem

naked_draughtsman

Guest
I bought a Shimano 'Megarange' freewheel which seems to be developing a
problem: If I turn the bike upside down, change into highest gear and
set the wheel spinning fast, when I let go of the pedals they spin
round. If you hold the pedals still with a finger the force is
noticeable.

It's not a critical problem yet as I can still freewheel along. Is
this a common problem, is there a specific cause (e.g. lack of TLC!)
and is there a cure?

I've taken freewheels off but never disassembled one so that prospect
is a bit daunting!

TIA

pete

naked_draughtsman wrote:
> I bought a Shimano 'Megarange' freewheel which seems to be developing
> a problem: If I turn the bike upside down, change into highest gear
> and set the wheel spinning fast, when I let go of the pedals they spin
> round. If you hold the pedals still with a finger the force is
> noticeable.
>
> It's not a critical problem yet as I can still freewheel along. Is
> this a common problem, is there a specific cause (e.g. lack of TLC!)
> and is there a cure?
>
> I've taken freewheels off but never disassembled one so that prospect
> is a bit daunting!

It's not uncommon for freewheels to have a bit of noticeable friction like
that. If it bothers you or gets worse, you could try dripping some oil in
(assuming this is a freewheel and not a cassette). That's best done with
freewheel off to save too much oil getting in the hub bearings.

~PB

naked_draughtsman said:
I bought a Shimano 'Megarange' freewheel which seems to be developing a
problem: If I turn the bike upside down, change into highest gear and
set the wheel spinning fast, when I let go of the pedals they spin
round. If you hold the pedals still with a finger the force is
noticeable.

It's not a critical problem yet as I can still freewheel along. Is
this a common problem, is there a specific cause (e.g. lack of TLC!)
and is there a cure?

I've taken freewheels off but never disassembled one so that prospect
is a bit daunting!

TIA

pete

It can be a poblem because it can remove the tension on the top of the chain and allow it to droop. That means that when you start pedalling again there is no resistance for half a stroke or so. It can be very annoying - thats my experience anyway.

Pete Biggs wrote:

> It's not uncommon for freewheels to have a bit of noticeable friction like
> that. If it bothers you or gets worse, you could try dripping some oil in
> (assuming this is a freewheel and not a cassette). That's best done with
> freewheel off to save too much oil getting in the hub bearings.

Thanks, the friction was barely noticeable when I bought it but has
been increasing recently. I'll try your solution when I get time.

pete