Freewheel removal tool 5 speed shimano

JDean

Oct 29, 2014
I need to remove a 5 speed Shimano and I have some trouble finding the right tool. It spins freely in both directions and just occasionaly engages the wheel. I would like to try to renovate it but most likely I have to replace it.
Does anyone know about the tool to remove this?

Does anyone know about the tool to remove this?

Please remove your quick release skewer and take another picture of the freewheel.

Just a guess at this point, but I think you might need a Park Tool number FR-1.2 removal tool. This is a 12-spline removal tool.
http://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-1-2

You also might want to purchase a pair of chain whips to aid disassembly of the freewheel if you are going to clean out the insides and repack the bearings.
http://www.parktool.com/product/5-to-11-speed-compatible-chain-whip-sprocket-remover-sr-11

The teeth do not look to be particularly worn so it may be rebuildable. Alternatively, if you can source a new 5-speed shimaNO freewheel from a local shop they would probably remove and install it at no extra charge.

But let's see an unobscured view of the freewheel hub before you going ordering that removal tool.

Thank you for your answer. I removed the skewer and polished off some dirt to make things more visible. I prefer to try to do this myself to learn some about bike repair. When I fail, I will contact my local mechanic.

You have a very early shimaNO Uniglide 5-speed cassette, not a freewheel. So you do not need the Park FR-1.2 tool.

You need a pair of chain whips to remove the gears. Use one whip on the largest gear to prevent the cluster from rotating counter-clockwise. Use the second whip on the smallest sprocket to unscrew it from the cassette body in a counter-clockwise direction. The inner four gears will slide off the splines.

Then the hex locknuts can be removed, along with the axle, bearings and cassette body and pawl assembly. Be careful to disassemble the hub over a towel so the loose bearing balls do not bounce and roll away.

There's some good information on your hub here at Sheldon Brown's website: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

CAMPYBOB said:
You have a very early shimaNO Uniglide 5-speed cassette, not a freewheel. So you not need the Park FR-1.2 tool.
CAMPYBOB said:
You have a very early shimaNO Uniglide 5-speed cassette, not a freewheel. So you not need the Park FR-1.2 tool.
Although if it's the pawls in the freewheel/clutch mechanism that are acting up, no need to pull the sprockets off. Cone wrenches to pull the axle, then cautiously pry the dust cap out. Remove bearing balls, then the cup. It unscrews clockwise. I've used a file as an improvised tool to engage the two notches in the bearing cup. Then you can lift the shell of the freehub body off the nub that holds the pawls and spill 2x25 1/8" bearing balls all over the place. Don't forget to curse loudly. Clean and repack. Reassemble and ride.

UniGlide...the video:

0.jpg

UinGlide to HyperGlide conversion, but this shows some of the disassembly/assembly requirements.

0.jpg

learn some repairing video.i think it was the good way for you.what do you think?