Freewheel spacer - homemade?

On Mar 19, 4:09 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to buy a "freewheel spacer" (e.g.http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=836)
> to improve the chainline.
> However, no LBS sells it. I could ask a friend of mine to machine it -
> but what are its dimensions?
> (inner and outer diameters)
> Does it need to be "faced" as is usually done for the bottom bracket
> shell?
>
> Thanks,
> Federico

http://oldbiketrader.co.uk/display_Sturmey_Archer.php?options=gear UK#
0.65 (US$1.50 or so).

http://www.cyclingforums.com/archive/index.php/t-236396.html

On Mar 19, 3:09 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to buy a "freewheel spacer" (e.g.http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=836)
> to improve the chainline.
> However, no LBS sells it. I could ask a friend of mine to machine it -
> but what are its dimensions?
> (inner and outer diameters)
> Does it need to be "faced" as is usually done for the bottom bracket
> shell?
>
> Thanks,
> Federico

Instead of buying one, you could take a piece of 1/16" wire (coat
hanger, maybe) and bend it into an appropriate sized circle.

Lewis.

*****

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to buy a "freewheel spacer" (e.g. http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=836)
> to improve the chainline.
> However, no LBS sells it. I could ask a friend of mine to machine it -
> but what are its dimensions?
> (inner and outer diameters)
> Does it need to be "faced" as is usually done for the bottom bracket
> shell?

They are a very standard item, used for cog spacing on three speed hubs
for example. Try asking for a Sturmey Archer HMW-127 spacer instead:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/hardware.html

Fits over a 34.8mm thread and yes a flat surface is desirable.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

ride a steel bike? extra mm between dropouts may allow shifting the
cluster right or left one gear, gear 1/2 facilitating a better low or
better hi chain line. using more washers or an extra axle spacer. With
an MTB freehub or HG, the rivets are filed off then the 'right' gears
can go right there in the cluster's mid section.