Freewheel to freehub conversion

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by DarkEdge, Mar 2, 2020.

1. DarkEdge

DarkEdge New Member

Hello everyone,,
    I have a 1987 Peugeot Versailles. I want upgrade the wheel set. It has a 7 speed shimano freewheel cassette. I have a used set of Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke with Ultegra 6500 Freehub. The bike has Shimano 600 down tube shifters. What do I need to purchase to make this conversion happen? Any help would be great.

Tags:

2. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

3. DarkEdge

DarkEdge New Member

Im a complete beginner to bikes and I wanted to do a project with a old bike I have so I can learn about the parts and everything. Sadly learning is expensive and not knowing anything I bought a cassette single speed instead of a freewheel which is what I have. I know the cassette had adjustable spacers but the freewheel doesn’t. Does the chain need to be completely straight or is it fine if I just install it however it fits? Is there some kind of spacers?

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

why did you start out with the same text as a post by another user from 2012?
    That makes you look like a bot. Or weird. Or both.
    I’m not willing to put much effort in until I’m reasonably certain I’m communicating with a human.
    And while you’re at it, try getting The Words right. What is a ”cassette freewheel”?
    If you don’t know the words, post pics.