Freewheel unicycle

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by trials2k, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. trials2k

    trials2k Guest

    im not sure if this question has already been asked, but the other day
    me and a mate who rides a trials 20" bike were thinking, i wonder if
    they could put a freewheel on a uni, just like bikes do, so that u
    could pedal to get urself going, then just stop pedalling and u would
    keep going.
    you would have to do something with the hub connecting to the cranks,
    but i think that should be the next prototype uni, they'd be a hoot to
    ride :)

    --
    trials2k

    Live and Die on a uni;) **
    trials2k's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11354

  2. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

    lol it would be impossible. if it wasnt it would already been done.

    without the ability to back pedal you wouldnt be able to ride. just
    think about it. it would be almost impossoble( for me atleast )

    --
    manon1wheel

    now im lvl 6!
    -.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
    manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

  3. darkp0is3n

    darkp0is3n Guest

  4. trials2k

    trials2k Guest

  5. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

  6. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

  7. unicyclepa

    unicyclepa Guest

  8. > lol it would be impossible. if it wasnt it would already been done.

    > without the ability to back pedal you wouldnt be able to ride. just
    > think about it. it would be almost impossoble( for me atleast )

    Yea, that's what a lot of people said. Turns out that point of view is
    wrong, eh?

    See the link in my signature for a video of me riding it. Also go buy
    Training Wheel Not Required.

    > the coaster was realy hard to ride

    When did you try to ride it? Was it mine? Cause that thing hasn't
    left my house since it was built.

    --
    digitalattrition

    "When life hands you a lemon, say 'Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you
    got?'"
    -Henry Rollins
    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
    http://singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com
    'Buy stuff from Arrow Racing!' (http://www.arrowracing.com)
    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

  9. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

  10. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    digitalattrition wrote:
    > See the link in my signature for a video of me riding it.

    Now I want one.

    --
    Spudman

    *| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
    *| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
    *| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . .*X* <--Chosen's spot
    *| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
    *|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
    (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
    rendered by forrest
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  11. unicyclepa

    unicyclepa Guest

  12. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Roger unicycle.com has one, although when I saw it the clutch was
    broken, so it would freewheel in both directions, you couldn't pedal it
    up to speed.

    It was quite hard to ride, but loads of people can ride BCs now, surely
    it's pretty similar to that (except with more potential for speeding
    yourself up).

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

  13. dorfman

    dorfman Guest

    where can you get one of those?....it looks like an awsome
    challeng....fun 2 ..

    --
    dorfman

    i started unicycling on christmas 05
    on that day i accomplished
    forward unicycling 40ft
    freemounting 6 times succesfulling
    number of strange looks recieved whilst learning 34(i counted)
    dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

  14. Somebody built a nice one using a hub from a Coker Wheelman
    penny-farthing. It had a brake and looked like a normal 24" muni,
    apart from the hub. I saw it at one of the Exeter unimeets a year or
    so ago - can't remember whose it was though (I don't think it was
    Roger's... could have been somebody known as North who used to post on
    here).

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott

    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
    skydive twice

  15. manon1wheel wrote:
    > lol it would be impossible. if it wasnt it would already been done.

    Shocking attitude from a unicyclist. If it hasn't been done obviously
    no-one was trying hard enough, or they gave up too early. This applies
    to everything, coaster unis up to cold fusion.

    Don't let it happen again.

    John

    --
    johnhimsworth

    Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and then
    beat you with experience.
    johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

  16. I think it would be very possible. You would want a brake and some kind
    of handlebars. It would then be very similar to riding a wheelie on a
    bicycle. Without handlebars and a brake, I think it would be nearly
    impossible.

    Think how fast you could go on something like that!:eek:

    --
    wheeliemaster
    wheeliemaster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10962

  17. redhead

    redhead Guest

  18. > I think it would be very possible. You would want a brake and some kind
    > of handlebars. It would then be very similar to riding a wheelie on a
    > bicycle. Without handlebars and a brake, I think it would be nearly
    > impossible.

    I say again, see the link in my signature or buy Training Wheel Not
    Required. Both of them show that not only is it possible, but it's
    been done. By two different people.

    That 1HWY site hasn't been updated in over a year. It's best to stick
    with the gallery, or wait until we get a new site put up (which I am
    planning to do).