Freewheel unicycle

I had a dream last night that I was riding something like that "killer".
It was made from a mountainbike and it was yellow. Some guy was riding
it around a grassy field and asked if I wanted to try it (he didnt know
that I could ride a unicycle). So I got onto it and started riding down
the field. The dream was so realistic that when I stopped pedaling and
the wheel started freewheeling, I could feel the wind in my face and
the dew from the grass being kicked up onto my legs. I hopped off the
moutainbike-turned-unicycle, turned around, and saw a really tall
giraffe with two sets of pedals; one set around 6ft and one around
12ft.

That wasnt my first dream about coasting on a unicycle either...

I still can't coast more than 2ft though :rolleyes:

--
burjzyntski

It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

\"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"
burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

when i see the "killer" as you so affectionately call it...i just cringe
at how awkward it must be to ride

--
trials_uni

You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
-Phil
'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
informative post go now! edited today!

Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
(http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
unicyclists in your area!

manon1wheel wrote:
> lol it would be impossible. if it wasnt it would already been done.
>
> without the ability to back pedal you wouldnt be able to ride. just
> think about it. it would be almost impossoble( for me atleast )

Yes, impossible. So is riding stand-on-seat. Now THAT is a trick that
nobody will ever learn how to do. Absolutely no way.

--
TheBadger587

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

TheBadger587 wrote:
> Yes, impossible. So is riding stand-on-seat. Now THAT is a trick that
> nobody will ever learn how to do. Absolutely no way.

People have riddin standin on their seat in the koxx freestyle vid.
Instead of a seat they had a plank of wood

--
swarbrim

:D add me at [email protected]
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

unicyclistben wrote:
> ive had and idea for along time of makeing almost a set of ratcheting
> cranks for a standard square tapered spindle but i dont have the
> resources

That would be REALLY weird to ride. Not only freewheeling but each
crank freewheeling independently!

--
rob.northcott

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this site. I just did a search to
see if anyone else has ever heard of a freewheel unicycle. I made one
myself around 18 years ago because of a dream i my cousin had about
coasting on his unicycle. I went to a bike shop to see about getting
one made and they told me it was impossible to have a freewheel
mechanism on the same axel as the pedals. I didn't agree so i designed
the parts myself. I put a hand brake on the wheel with a cable for a
hand brake. It proved to be really hard to ride lol. The farthest
distance i got was only a couple of hundred feet.

I noticed others here talking about freewheel unicycles and am wonder
if anyone can tell me how long it has been in existance and if they
have perfected riding them. All this time i thought i had the only one.

--
freewheeler
freewheeler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14388

Im sorta new at this to but I believe that Unibiker was one of the first
people to ride a unicycle with a freewheel but his ride was a modified
bike so the free-wheel and petals were not on the same axle. Sadly
Unibiker is no longer with us.

--
saskatchewanian

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who
is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
saskatchewanian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14180

sorry to hear that. I was mistaken before when i said i made my
freewheeler 18 years ago. It was more like 20 years. I am still
wondering if i was the first ever to ride freewheel... It has been
sitting in my basement for many years. It now has a flat and the brake
with the cable and handle are missing. I made the axel by taking 2 bike
sprockets and placing them so they spun the same direction. Then welded
plates with holes to the sprockets for the spokes. I plan to fix it up
and master it this summer lol. I am near Toronto Canada if anyone is
interested in giving it a try when I get it fixed up. But be warned, it
is a real b**ch to try and ride.

[image:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p9d57d767cbd84d531d94a45a38ec9d66/eaa1f55a.jpg]

--

Hazmat wrote:
> I think a unicycle which might be possible to make into a freewheel,
> would be a giraffe. Cause of the fact it has a chain, just like a bike
> does. So would that work by any chance??

It would, youd just not want to have it all that tall.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

digitalattrition wrote:
> Guys.
>
> He was being sarcastic.

It's in the k1 roadtrip 05 freestyle vid and it's the best trick i've
ever seen.

So amazing!:)

--
one wheely

Why stroll...when you can roll?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
one wheely's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11955

freewheeler wrote:
> Hi everyone. This is my first post on this site. I just did a search to
> see if anyone else has ever heard of a freewheel unicycle. I made one
> myself around 18 years ago because of a dream i my cousin had about
> coasting on his unicycle. I went to a bike shop to see about getting
> one made and they told me it was impossible to have a freewheel
> mechanism on the same axel as the pedals. I didn't agree so i designed
> the parts myself. I put a hand brake on the wheel with a cable for a
> hand brake. It proved to be really hard to ride lol. The farthest
> distance i got was only a couple of hundred feet.
>
> I noticed others here talking about freewheel unicycles and am wonder
> if anyone can tell me how long it has been in existance and if they
> have perfected riding them. All this time i thought i had the only one.

Most of the freewheel unicycles I've seen use the front hub from a 'Big
Wheel' or 'Green Machine' tricycle, then all you have to do is modify a
unicycle frame slightly to fit the new axle.

Try sending a personal message to JohnFoss, he's been involved in
unicycling a long time and collects historical unicycles, he's probably
most able to answer your questions.

--
kington99

Dave