freewheel vs freehub?

g.daniels

Guest
is it my imagination or is my deore freehub, by design, slower thru
friction than the spare wheel freehubs?
is my freehub adjustment incorrect?
does the phil wood touring freewheel hub bend axles under load like an
OLD/sugue freewheel?

"g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> is it my imagination or is my deore freehub, by design, slower thru
> friction than the spare wheel freehubs?
> is my freehub adjustment incorrect?
> does the phil wood touring freewheel hub bend axles under load like an
> OLD/sugue freewheel?

No.

On 16 Oct 2004 09:57:37 -0700, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:

>is it my imagination or is my deore freehub, by design, slower thru
>friction than the spare wheel freehubs?

The difference should be trivial if any.

>is my freehub adjustment incorrect?

Maybe the axle bearing adjustment is not right; that would be the
first place I'd look.

>does the phil wood touring freewheel hub bend axles under load like an
>OLD/sugue freewheel?

No data on that one.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

g.daniels wrote:
> is it my imagination or is my deore freehub, by design, slower thru
> friction than the spare wheel freehubs?
> is my freehub adjustment incorrect?
> does the phil wood touring freewheel hub bend axles under load like an
> OLD/sugue freewheel?

Resistance while coasting varies a lot by the seals used and
the lubricant (or lack thereof) inside.
As with any traditional loose-ball hub, adjust for the
faintest amount of barely perceptible play, then evaluate
after the skewer is closed. You're seeking a slight, not an
excessive, preload.
Phil freewheel hubs share the design deficiencies of that
format (Bearing too far from the right, leaving an
unsupported cantilevered axle which breaks) but Phil's big
fat 16mm stainless axle gives less trouble in service than a
wimpy 10mm threaded axle.

Did you mean Suzue hubs? Nice product. Rebuild with new
balls in fresh clean grease for many years of life.

Bent axles on single freewheel hubs are rare outside of
Freestyle. With four or 5 speeds, axle bending is a
possibility. With six a common event, with seven likely and
with an eight speed freewheel a virtual certainty.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org