Freewheel wheelset,not a freehub thou !

Banatean

Jul 26, 2003
I posted this already on a different area of this forum but i don't know where it went...,anyways my GF's Specialized Hardrock rims go out of whack like crazy (they are a No Name brand "a la generic") so before i even knew that there are two types of wheelsets that are Freehub or Freewheel,she has freewheel i buy freehub !,very upseting...
Is freewheel wheelset hard to find in a good/strong setup.I'm looking at spending no more than $ 200 Canadian ,any help ?
Thank you:(

Originally posted by Banatean
I posted this already on a different area of this forum but i don't know where it went...,anyways my GF's Specialized Hardrock rims go out of whack like crazy (they are a No Name brand "a la generic") so before i even knew that there are two types of wheelsets that are Freehub or Freewheel,she has freewheel i buy freehub !,very upseting...
Is freewheel wheelset hard to find in a good/strong setup.I'm looking at spending no more than $ 200 Canadian ,any help ?

I changed my mind,i think my post sounds very confusing...what i want to do now is keep the freehub wheelset (Rhyno Lite with Deore hubs) and covert the works to freehub.The cassette is 7 speed.Can i buy a compatible Shimano or Sram cassette and mount it on the new wheelset ?,do i need anything else ?...how do you atach a cassette to the hub ?
Thank you very much
Dan:)

So can it be done then ....? once i get a new cassette that's compatible is there anything else i should look into ?
Thank you.
Dan

Anyone ?

well, noone else has responded, so i'll give it a whack.
no, they are not compatible. freewheel spins on to threads,
freehub sorta clicks on. if the old freewheel set is toast,
trash it. freewheels are getting hard to find, and those
that are available are often garbage. cassettes are
now the standard, are available in all cog ratios, and
due to design result in stronger axle.

Thank you "saddlesores" and you are right about compatibility ...so what i did now i bought an 8 speed cassette Shimano...and a new 8 speed shifter by Sram and since i already had the Rhyno Lite's (SunRims) and now my GF's Specialized is a 24 speed instead of 21 !,plus today i bought some new brake shoes by Baradine ...???...and some Teflon coated brake and shifter cables made by some company called Nervz...are they any good ?,they suposed to be already prestreched....what do you think ?,i know i got a project for the weekend.
Thank you.
Dan

i don't know much about all that new-fangled stuff you bought.

i'm still using freewheels (altho hard to find, lucky i have a box
full in the garage), cantilever brakes, and suntour friction thumb-
shifters. no index gearing here.

my gear is "obsolete." not fancy, but it works well, and can
easily be maintained in the field.

the deore/rhyno wheelset is a good setup, should last many
years. i have rhyno's on both my loaded touring bikes, still
in good shape after 30k miles.

you might want to check your lbs to see if sram shifters and
shimano casettes are compatible.