Freewheeling May Be Running Stealth Campaign

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Sam, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Freewheeling May Be Running
    Stealth Campaign to Attract New Members

    Freewheeling's Sam Walker was accused yesterday of running what
    amounts to an uberstealth campaign to attract members from Future
    behemoth Cycling Plus, which has been operating a successful forum for
    several years. Sources tell us that Walker recently registered on his
    competitor's forum as 'rice dream', an impossibly obscure reference
    which experts say will fly right past the overwhelming majority of
    everyone who casts an eye over the 'active users' box.

    Walker, a former contributor to C+, appeared nonplussed when asked to
    comment on the allegations: "That wasn't me," he insisted. "I haven't
    visited their boards for months. In any case, it's impossible to trace
    a yahoo.com email account."

    Some C+ regulars are suspicious. One opined "That's just the sort of
    thing 'Sam' - if that's what he's calling himself these days - would
    do." The source referred to Walker's perplexing name change last year,
    oddly enough the subject of a May 2003 'Deeply Unfashionable' column
    entitled 'What's in a Name'. In it the writer used poet Marriane
    Moore, NYPD Blue, the Edsel automobile, and even oral sex as
    ammunition in a losing bid to explain the rationale for the ID swap.
    Tens of thousands of readers cancelled their subscriptions in protest.

    Carlton Reid, publisher of the eerily omniscient industry trade
    journal Bicycle Business, has suggested: "It's safe to assume that
    particular column was the reason for the abrupt decline in C+
    circulation figures. No wonder they sacked him."

    "I suppose one can just barely see what he's attempting to do here,"
    said another C+ forum member. "In an idle moment I often cast a glance
    down to that section to see who else is around. 'Rice Dream' is not a
    particularly unusual handle compared to others I've seen, but it did
    set bells to ringing, and that night it hit me like a tonne of bricks
    in the middle of what had been a particularly satisfying session of
    lovemaking. You have to dig into the archives to know what it's all
    about, but back when he was scaring up hosts for his 'Hospitality
    Tour' story which eventually ran in the magazine, it became well known
    among those who cared that the guy was addicted to the white stuff.
    After that moment of stunning realization, I continued with my efforts
    and reached a not unsatisfying climax."

    Cycling Plus editor Tony Farrelly could not be reached for comment,
    but an anonymous staffer suggested that Walker's antics, if proven,
    were nothing to be alarmed about. "We've got over 10,000 members; he's
    still struggling to make it past the critical three dozen bar. Talk to
    us in a few years and maybe we'll show a modicum of concern."

    ---
    http://www.freewheelingforum.com/index.php
    ---

    What's In a Name?
    http://www.bikereader.com/solo/name.html

    Tags:

  2. On 27 Oct 2004 00:32:15 -0700, Sam <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Freewheeling May Be Running

    [...]

    Yes. I now know about the forum. If I want to use it I will. Can you shut
    up about it now.

    Colin

  3. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Sam) writes:
    > Freewheeling May Be Running
    > Spam Campaign to piss off cyclists

    That's what, three or four blatent self-promotions here in a couple of days.

    Never, ever do business with a spammer. That includes visiting their
    wretched websites.

    --
    Nick Kew

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > Freewheeling May Be Running
    > Stealth Campaign to Attract New Members

    Whether it is or not, I'm not going there. I look in on the CTC ones
    and Cycling Scotland's because they're nationally useful and relevant
    organisations, but they're a PITA to use and just demonstrate how
    horribly inferior web forums to Usenet.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Sam wrote:

    > Freewheeling's Sam Walker was accused yesterday of running what
    > amounts to an uberstealth campaign

    Your spam on uk.rec.cycling is hardly stealthy.

    Be a good chap and piss off, will you?

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Sam
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Freewheeling May Be Running
    > Stealth Campaign to Attract New Members

    Sam, this is getting very close to SPAM. Cut it down. I know you're
    promoting your new site but this volume is well beyond the boundaries
    of what's generally thought acceptable. If you wish to promote your
    site, it is generally accepted that it is OK to include its URL in a
    signature to on-topic posts. Posts whose main purpose is to advertise
    your website are by definition not on topic.

    If you persist, I shall report you for net abuse, not only to your
    Usenet provider, but also to your web hosting provider. Be reasonable.
    Cut it down.

    ;; Perl ... is the Brittney Spears of programming - easily accessible
    ;; but, in the final analysis, empty of any significant thought
    ;; Frank Adrian on Slashdot, 21st July 2003

  7. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Freewheeling May Be Running
    > Stealth Campaign to Attract New Members

    It's OK Scotty my boy, I'm still your friend ;-)
    --
    Simon M.

  8. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > If you persist, I shall report you for net abuse, not only to your
    > Usenet provider, but also to your web hosting provider. Be reasonable.
    > Cut it down.

    I'm quite enjoying his ads; they're pretty funny. And he is not exactly a
    stranger to this newsgroup, is he?

  9. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Sam posted:
    > Free

    Fuck off, spammer.

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

  10. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> If you persist, I shall report you for net abuse, not only to your
    >> Usenet provider, but also to your web hosting provider. Be reasonable.
    >> Cut it down.

    > I'm quite enjoying his ads; they're pretty funny. And he is not exactly a
    > stranger to this newsgroup, is he?

    It's Scott (A) Munn out of Cycling Plus who was featured in said mag doing a
    LEJOG a while ago.

    --
    Simon m.

  11. Sam

    Sam Guest

    [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Sam) writes:
    > > Freewheeling May Be Running
    > > Spam Campaign to piss off cyclists

    > That's what, three or four blatent self-promotions here in a couple of days.
    >
    > Never, ever do business with a spammer. That includes visiting their
    > wretched websites.

    I rather knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but was hoping
    A) the aggrieved parties would do themselves the favour of killfilling
    me instead of advertising their lack of taste, or B) simply ignore me.
    It's not difficult.

    I do apologize if this seems like nothing more than spam. I was hoping
    I would be cut a little slack for a week or so until I got this out of
    my system. It's extremely difficult starting a forum, and I have no
    budget.

    Anyway, I'm really not going to argue about it anymore. Like I said,
    killfile me, if you haven't already. I'm begging you.

    And I'll even let you have the last word. I hope it's a creative one,
    but that's something I sincerely doubt.

    Sam
    --
    http://www.bikereader.com
    http://www.freewheelingforum.com

  12. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 27 Oct 2004 00:32:15 -0700, Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Freewheeling May Be Running

    > [...]
    >
    > Yes. I now know about the forum. If I want to use it I will. Can you shut
    > up about it now.
    >
    > Colin

    If people can survive 10,000,000,000,000 threads about helmets,
    they'll survive a week of my blatant PR. Any other questions, refer to
    my answer to Nick Kew.

    Sam
    ---
    http://www.bikereader.com
    http://www.freewheelingforum.com
    http://www.prettygoodbritain.com

  13. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    In uk.rec.cycling Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Sam, this is getting very close to SPAM. Cut it down. I know you're

    I'm with Simon here. I wouldn't have objected to a short message about
    a new forum, but this is OTT.

    Sam: consider what happens when everyone with a forum does what you
    do. URC becomes un-usable very quickly.

    Arthur

    "Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph.
    They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien

  14. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Sam wrote:
    > > Freewheeling May Be Running
    > > Stealth Campaign to Attract New Members

    > Whether it is or not, I'm not going there. I look in on the CTC ones
    > and Cycling Scotland's because they're nationally useful and relevant
    > organisations, but they're a PITA to use and just demonstrate how
    > horribly inferior web forums to Usenet.
    >
    > Pete.

    You're not alone in your aversion to such forums. Sheldon Brown, who
    did me the great honour of registering the other day (I'm not
    devulging any state secrets; anybody who registers can see the list of
    members) told me he also much prefers Usenet. Fortunately for me, he
    promised to stop in from time to time... I only wish I could hold him
    to that!

    Sam
    ---
    http://www.freewheeling.com/index.php

  15. Simon Brooke

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> [email protected] (Sam) writes:
    >> > Freewheeling May Be Running
    >> > Spam Campaign to piss off cyclists

    >> That's what, three or four blatent self-promotions here in a couple
    >> of days.
    >>
    >> Never, ever do business with a spammer. That includes visiting their
    >> wretched websites.

    > I rather knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but was hoping
    > A) the aggrieved parties would do themselves the favour of killfilling
    > me instead of advertising their lack of taste, or B) simply ignore me.
    > It's not difficult.
    >
    > I do apologize if this seems like nothing more than spam. I was hoping
    > I would be cut a little slack for a week or so until I got this out of
    > my system. It's extremely difficult starting a forum, and I have no
    > budget.

    You were cut slack - and not a little bit, either. You were cut a lot of
    slack. And please be aware that in seeking to privatise part of the
    community for your own profit, you are actively damaging the public
    forum which is very valuable to us. You can't expect us to continue to
    cut you slack.

    > Anyway, I'm really not going to argue about it anymore. Like I said,
    > killfile me, if you haven't already. I'm begging you.

    Laddie, I'm not going to killfile you. I'm going to watch you. And if
    you continue to step out of line I shall be complaining to Jeff Lewis,
    of 421 King Street North, Waterloo, Ontario, who hosts your DNS; and to
    Pegasus Web Technologies of P.O. Box 577, Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417, who
    host your website; and to Voxel Dot Net, Inc. of 270 River St., Suite
    #302, Troy, NY 12180 who are their upstream provider. It won't be the
    first time I've had a spammer's website shut down, by any means.

    Behave, and your posts will continue to be welcome here; continue to
    spam, and you're out of business. Yes, that *is* a threat.

    ;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
    ;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
    ;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
    ;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

  16. On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:35:03 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >It won't be the
    >first time I've had a spammer's website shut down, by any means.

    ANy joy with that twunt Tony Lance?

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  17. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > in message <[email protected]>, Sam
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > Freewheeling May Be Running
    > > Stealth Campaign to Attract New Members

    > Sam, this is getting very close to SPAM. Cut it down. I know you're
    > promoting your new site but this volume is well beyond the boundaries
    > of what's generally thought acceptable. If you wish to promote your
    > site, it is generally accepted that it is OK to include its URL in a
    > signature to on-topic posts. Posts whose main purpose is to advertise
    > your website are by definition not on topic.
    >
    > If you persist, I shall report you for net abuse, not only to your
    > Usenet provider, but also to your web hosting provider. Be reasonable.
    > Cut it down.

    Relax. I'm almost finished with the run anyway. I don't have a Usenet
    provider (unless you count Google groups), but if you persist I shall
    report myself to my web hosting provider and wait for the laughter to
    stop: This isn't even close to spam.

    Sam
    --
    http://www.freewheelingforum.com

  18. Sam

    Sam Guest

  19. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Sam wrote:

    > This isn't even close to spam.

    Unsolicited emailing to numerous recipients advertising a service. The
    only sense it isn't spam is it isn't pink and available in tins. You
    shut up and we'll relax, now safe in the knowledge that we really don't
    want to visit your website.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  20. KakenBetaal

    KakenBetaal New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2004
    I have to agree, I think it's a PITA, but don't you think your reaction is a little OTT? Take a chill pill dude.