Freewheels - French/British different?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Alan Paterson, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. I'm looking to replace the standard freewheel on my '70s Dawes for one with
    closer ratios - the ones on ebay often seem to decribe themselves as British
    or French. Is there a difference? There's a Maillard French one I like the
    look of right now, eg - but will it fit? Thanks for your help.

    Tags:

  2. Alan Paterson wrote:

    > I'm looking to replace the standard freewheel on my '70s Dawes for
    > one with closer ratios - the ones on ebay often seem to decribe
    > themselves as British or French. Is there a difference? There's a
    > Maillard French one I like the look of right now, eg - but will it
    > fit? Thanks for your help.

    AASHTA: <URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#freewheels>

    Or put another way, "perhaps"

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  3. JBB

    JBB Guest

    > Alan Paterson wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking to replace the standard freewheel on my '70s Dawes for
    >> one with closer ratios - the ones on ebay often seem to decribe
    >> themselves as British or French. Is there a difference? There's a
    >> Maillard French one I like the look of right now, eg - but will it
    >> fit? Thanks for your help.

    > AASHTA: <URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#freewheels>
    >
    > Or put another way, "perhaps"
    >
    > --
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    > World Domination?
    > Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    > floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

    I certainly have used Maillard freewheels in the past, I think the critcal
    thing is the the thread diameter. Given that if you get one labelled as
    "british" it should be fine.
    HTH
    Julia

  4. jtaylor

    jtaylor Guest

    "JBB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Alan Paterson wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm looking to replace the standard freewheel on my '70s Dawes for
    > >> one with closer ratios - the ones on ebay often seem to decribe
    > >> themselves as British or French. Is there a difference? There's a
    > >> Maillard French one I like the look of right now, eg - but will it
    > >> fit? Thanks for your help.

    > > AASHTA: <URL: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french.html#freewheels>
    > >
    > > Or put another way, "perhaps"
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
    > > World Domination?
    > > Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    > > floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)
    > >

    > I certainly have used Maillard freewheels in the past, I think the critcal
    > thing is the the thread diameter. Given that if you get one labelled as
    > "british" it should be fine.

    The freewheel is extremely unlikely to be labeled "british".

    If anything, special markings were applied to the various flavours of metric
    threaded freewheels. Zeus used "M", for instance. Freewheels without
    markings can usually be safely assumed to use imperial threading.

    If in doubs, try it. A metric thread freewheel, of any type, will not go on
    an imperial threaded hub.

  5. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Alan Paterson wrote:
    > I'm looking to replace the standard freewheel on my '70s Dawes for one with
    > closer ratios - the ones on ebay often seem to decribe themselves as British
    > or French. Is there a difference? There's a Maillard French one I like the
    > look of right now, eg - but will it fit? Thanks for your help.

    Maillard and Shimano are interchangable. NB I have a 6 speed Shimano
    14-32 SIS freewheel going spare if you want it.

  6. "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Maillard and Shimano are interchangable.

    As others have pointed out, that's not always true, particularly for older
    5-speed equipment made when French (and Italian) threading was more common.
    Most Maillard freewheels sold in the UK will have had British threads, but
    not all.

    James Thomson

  7. "jtaylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Freewheels without markings can usually be safely assumed
    > to use imperial threading.

    I'm not so sure for French components manufactured before French threaded
    parts began to die out. I own French-threaded parts with no thread
    markings.

    > If in doubt, try it.

    Good advice, but Alan's looking on eBay, and doesn't have that luxury.
    That's probably a good reason not to shop for freewheels on eBay.

    > A metric thread freewheel, of any type, will not go on
    > an imperial threaded hub.

    An Italian (metric/imperial hybrid - 35mm x 24tpi) thread will go onto a
    British hub, but the fit will be loose.

    James Thomson

  8. jtaylor

    jtaylor Guest

    "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > A metric thread freewheel, of any type, will not go on
    > > an imperial threaded hub.

    > An Italian (metric/imperial hybrid - 35mm x 24tpi) thread will go onto a
    > British hub, but the fit will be loose.

    True, but that's not a metric thread.

  9. "Alan Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm looking to replace the standard freewheel on my '70s Dawes
    > for one with closer ratios - the ones on ebay often seem to decribe
    > themselves as British or French. Is there a difference? There's a
    > Maillard French one I like the look of right now, eg - but will it fit?

    Those that specify "French" are probably talking about the thread rather
    than the country of origin. Alternative markings might be "F" or "M".
    Sometimes the thread is indicated - 34.7x100 is French. Sometimes the
    threading isn't identified.

    You might be better off not shopping for freewheels on eBay. You don't have
    the opportunity to test fit the parts, and its often the case that buyers
    aren't quite sure what they're selling. If it's clearly stated that the
    threading is British or ISO, you should be safe enough, but freewheels are
    heavy, and return postage expensive.

    James Thomson

  10. > > An Italian (metric/imperial hybrid - 35mm x 24tpi) thread will
    > > go onto a British hub, but the fit will be loose.

    "jtaylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > True, but that's not a metric thread.

    I wasn't intending to contradict you - I thought it might be useful
    additional information if Alan comes across Italian threads in his
    freewheel hunt.

    James Thomson

  11. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    James Thomson wrote:
    > "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Maillard and Shimano are interchangable.

    > As others have pointed out, that's not always true, particularly for older
    > 5-speed equipment made when French (and Italian) threading was more common.
    > Most Maillard freewheels sold in the UK will have had British threads, but
    > not all.
    >
    > James Thomson

    It was true for me.

  12. "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It was true for me.

    I don't doubt it.

    James Thomson

  13. Many thanks for all advice - I shall take it all on board. Many thanks
    especially for the offer of a feewheel, MSeries, but I'm looking for
    something closer ratio'd - 16,18,20,22,24, sort of thing. I'll keep my eyes
    open. Thanks again.