Freezing fresh raw veggies?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jmcquown, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    NOTE: I'm cross posting this.

    My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But of
    course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one spinach leaf.

    Can these veggies be frozen, raw? I have a feeling the texture would suffer terribly; naturally I
    have no way to flash-freeze them. I do have a Tilia food saver, not sure if vacuum sealing would
    make a difference with freezing fresh raw veggies. Your thoughts?

    I could, I suppose, quickly blanch them and then plunge in ice water, which would halt the cooking
    process. Then I could freeze them and thaw them as needed.

    Your suggestions are most welcome.

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    > NOTE: I'm cross posting this.
    >
    > My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    > of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    > spinach leaf.
    >
    > Can these veggies be frozen, raw? I have a feeling the texture would
    suffer
    > terribly; naturally I have no way to flash-freeze them. I do have a Tilia food saver, not sure if
    > vacuum sealing would make a difference with
    freezing
    > fresh raw veggies. Your thoughts?
    >
    > I could, I suppose, quickly blanch them and then plunge in ice water,
    which
    > would halt the cooking process. Then I could freeze them and thaw them as needed.
    >
    > Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >
    > Jill

    Jill, do you have a picture of your bird? I'd love to see it. kili

  3. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    kilikini wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> NOTE: I'm cross posting this.
    >>
    >> My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    >> of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    >> spinach leaf.
    >>
    >> Can these veggies be frozen, raw? I have a feeling the texture would suffer terribly; naturally I
    >> have no way to flash-freeze them. I do have a Tilia food saver, not sure if vacuum sealing would
    >> make a difference with freezing fresh raw veggies. Your thoughts?
    >>
    >> I could, I suppose, quickly blanch them and then plunge in ice water, which would halt the
    >> cooking process. Then I could freeze them and thaw them as needed.
    >>
    >> Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Jill, do you have a picture of your bird? I'd love to see it. kili

    Absolutely! I got her in mid-December when she was about 8 weeks old. She's a Nyasa lovebird. Pics
    here (along with pics of my cat, Persia and other stuff):

    http://community.webshots.com/user/jmcquown

    Jill

  4. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    > kilikini wrote:
    > > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> NOTE: I'm cross posting this.
    > >>
    > >> My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such.
    > >> But of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    > >> spinach leaf.
    > >>
    > >> Can these veggies be frozen, raw? I have a feeling the texture would suffer terribly; naturally
    > >> I have no way to flash-freeze them. I do have a Tilia food saver, not sure if vacuum sealing
    > >> would make a difference with freezing fresh raw veggies. Your thoughts?
    > >>
    > >> I could, I suppose, quickly blanch them and then plunge in ice water, which would halt the
    > >> cooking process. Then I could freeze them and thaw them as needed.
    > >>
    > >> Your suggestions are most welcome.
    > >>
    > >> Jill
    > >>

    > > Jill, do you have a picture of your bird? I'd love to see it. kili
    >
    > Absolutely! I got her in mid-December when she was about 8 weeks old. She's a Nyasa lovebird. Pics
    > here (along with pics of my cat, Persia and other stuff):
    >
    > http://community.webshots.com/user/jmcquown
    >
    > Jill

    Thanks for sharing, Jill! Beautiful cat and bird! Nice, nice pictures. kilikini

  5. John Hines

    John Hines Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Your suggestions are most welcome.

    The grocery store has fresh salads that have most of the stuff in a single (human sized) packet.

    Likewise, many fast food places have salad offerings.

    Share one with your bird?

  6. In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > NOTE: I'm cross posting this.
    >
    > My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    > of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    > spinach leaf.
    >
    > Can these veggies be frozen, raw? I have a feeling the texture would suffer terribly; naturally I
    > have no way to flash-freeze them. I do have a Tilia food saver, not sure if vacuum sealing would
    > make a difference with freezing fresh raw veggies. Your thoughts?
    >
    > I could, I suppose, quickly blanch them and then plunge in ice water, which would halt the cooking
    > process. Then I could freeze them and thaw them as needed.
    >
    > Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >
    > Jill

    The celery will suffer, Jillsie. And think about what frozen spinach is like. If you're wanting it
    to look like fresh, it won't. Too leafy. Carrots should be fine. For birdfood, blanch or not.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  7. Kimberlee

    Kimberlee Guest

    Why *can't* you buy just one sprig of broccoli, 1 carrot and 1 stalk of celery? Someone I know on
    another list bought 1 walnut and when the clerk gave her a strange look, she simply said "Don't ask"
    <Grin> Ah, the things we do for our fids! ~Kimberlee

    : NOTE: I'm cross posting this.
    :
[...]

  8. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Kimberlee wrote:
    > Why *can't* you buy just one sprig of broccoli, 1 carrot and 1 stalk of celery? Someone I know on
    > another list bought 1 walnut and when the clerk gave her a strange look, she simply said "Don't
    > ask" <Grin> Ah, the things we do for our fids! ~Kimberlee

    Ah, but nuts are sold in bulk in a bin. I have never seen a single stalk of celery for sale; it's
    always in bunches. Ditto spinach and other greens. And yes, the things we do!

    Jill

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> NOTE: I'm cross posting this.
    >>
    >> My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    >> of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    >> spinach leaf.
    >>
    >> Can these veggies be frozen, raw? I have a feeling the texture would suffer terribly; naturally I
    >> have no way to flash-freeze them. I do have a Tilia food saver, not sure if vacuum sealing would
    >> make a difference with freezing fresh raw veggies. Your thoughts?
    >>
    >> I could, I suppose, quickly blanch them and then plunge in ice water, which would halt the
    >> cooking process. Then I could freeze them and thaw them as needed.
    >>
    >> Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >>
    >> Jill

  9. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> NOTE: I'm cross posting this.
    >>
    >> My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    >> of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    >> spinach leaf.
    >>
    >> Can these veggies be frozen, raw? I have a feeling the texture would suffer terribly Jill
    >
    > The celery will suffer, Jillsie.

    I suspected as much.

    And think about what frozen spinach
    > is like. If you're wanting it to look like fresh, it won't. Too leafy.

    Well, frozen spinach doesn't bother me (whole leaf) so perhaps I can freeze some and also the celery
    leaves without the stalk.

    Carrots should be fine. For birdfood, blanch or not.

    She adores carrots! I'll give that a try, thanks, Barb!

    Jill

  10. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    John Hines wrote:

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >
    > The grocery store has fresh salads that have most of the stuff in a single (human sized) packet.
    >
    > Likewise, many fast food places have salad offerings.
    >
    > Share one with your bird?

    (suddenly frightened) Did you just suggest Jill eat salad?

    nancy (hiding)

  11. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Ah, but nuts are sold in bulk in a bin. I have never seen a single stalk of celery for sale; it's
    > always in bunches. Ditto spinach and other greens. And yes, the things we do!

    Have you checked out the salad bar? It might be okay, pricewise to just get some celery and carrots.
    Ditto spinach salad, unless it's dressed.

    nancy

  12. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, but nuts are sold in bulk in a bin. I have never seen a single stalk of celery for sale; it's
    >> always in bunches. Ditto spinach and other greens. And yes, the things we do!
    >
    > Have you checked out the salad bar? It might be okay, pricewise to just get some celery and
    > carrots. Ditto spinach salad, unless it's dressed.
    >
    > nancy

  13. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Ah, but nuts are sold in bulk in a bin. I have never seen a single stalk of celery for sale; it's
    >> always in bunches. Ditto spinach and other greens. And yes, the things we do!
    >
    > Have you checked out the salad bar? It might be okay, pricewise to just get some celery and
    > carrots. Ditto spinach salad, unless it's dressed.
    >
    > nancy

    That never occurred to me! Since I don't care for raw veggies myself, I never wander over by the
    salad bar. Hmmm, I'll bet she'd like raw broccoli (undressed of course), too. The articles I've read
    say parrots look at broccoli as a combination food/toy ;-) Thanks for the idea, Sis!

    Jill

  14. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > John Hines wrote:
    >>
    >> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >>
    >> The grocery store has fresh salads that have most of the stuff in a single (human sized) packet.
    >>
    >> Likewise, many fast food places have salad offerings.
    >>
    >> Share one with your bird?
    >
    > (suddenly frightened) Did you just suggest Jill eat salad?
    >
    > nancy (hiding)

    ROFL! Of course he didn't. Besides, those bags are mostly iceburg lettuce, which I already tried on
    her. She does not like lettuce. Or cabbage. She'd probably like kale since she likes spinach. She
    seems to prefer the darker, leafier greens.

    Next thing I'm trying on her is corn on the cob. I *know* that can be frozen!

    Jill

  15. Saerah

    Saerah Guest

    jmcquown wrote in message ...
    >Kimberlee wrote:
    >> Why *can't* you buy just one sprig of broccoli, 1 carrot and 1 stalk of celery? Someone I know on
    >> another list bought 1 walnut and when the clerk gave her a strange look, she simply said "Don't
    >> ask" <Grin> Ah, the things we do for our fids! ~Kimberlee
    >
    >Ah, but nuts are sold in bulk in a bin. I have never seen a single stalk
    of
    >celery for sale; it's always in bunches. Ditto spinach and other greens. And yes, the things we do!

    as a grocery store cashier, i can say for certain that there are some people who will buy single
    stalks of celery, break up bunches of broccoli (that doesnt bother me as much as the ones who hack
    off the stems because they don't want to pay per pound for them :<), etc. alot of salad bars have
    spinach on them, have you thought about that?

    --
    Saerah

    TANSTAAFL

    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing
    swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
    power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
    farcical aquatic ceremony."

  16. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    >of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    >spinach leaf.
    >
    >Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >
    >Jill

    The stupidmarkets I shop sell loose carrots, same as they do loose potatoes, onions, etc... not all
    produce is sold only pre-packaged. And if you ask the produce managers they will gladly give you
    some veggie top trimmings for free. You can't freeze veggies and save their raw texture.

    Anyway, a bag of carrots and a bunch of celery stay perfectly well in my fridge for at least 2
    weeks, usually can last a month. Spinach leaves have a relatively short fridge life, perhaps a week
    at best, but beet tops will survive well for a few weeks, especially if still attached to the beet
    root... and I'll bet your tweety peachie will prefer them... Barb will probably make some nasty Beet
    Beak remark! hehe

  17. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    [email protected] (PENMART01) deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    >>My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    >>of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    >>spinach leaf.
    >>
    >>Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >>
    >>Jill
    >
    > The stupidmarkets I shop sell loose carrots, same as they do loose potatoes, onions, etc... not
    > all produce is sold only pre-packaged. And if you ask the produce managers they will gladly give
    > you some veggie top trimmings for free. You can't freeze veggies and save their raw texture.
    >
    > Anyway, a bag of carrots and a bunch of celery stay perfectly well in my fridge for at least 2
    > weeks, usually can last a month. Spinach leaves have a relatively short fridge life, perhaps a
    > week at best, but beet tops will survive well for a few weeks, especially if still attached to the
    > beet root... and I'll bet your tweety peachie will prefer them... Barb will probably make some
    > nasty Beet Beak remark! hehe

    I can see it now. The kitties freezing a bunch of veggies to fatten Peaches up :)

    Michael

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  18. In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
    <[email protected];not> wrote:

    > [email protected] (PENMART01) deliciously posted in news:[email protected]
    > m27.aol.com:
    >
    > >>My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    > >>of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    > >>spinach leaf.
    > >>
    > >>Your suggestions are most welcome.
    > >>
    > >>Jill
    > >
    > > The stupidmarkets I shop sell loose carrots, same as they do loose potatoes, onions, etc... not
    > > all produce is sold only pre-packaged. And if you ask the produce managers they will gladly give
    > > you some veggie top trimmings for free. You can't freeze veggies and save their raw texture.
    > >
    > > Anyway, a bag of carrots and a bunch of celery stay perfectly well in my fridge for at least 2
    > > weeks, usually can last a month. Spinach leaves have a relatively short fridge life, perhaps a
    > > week at best, but beet tops will survive well for a few weeks, especially if still attached to
    > > the beet root... and I'll bet your tweety peachie will prefer them... Barb will probably make
    > > some nasty Beet Beak remark! hehe

    > I can see it now. The kitties freezing a bunch of veggies to fatten Peaches up :)
    >
    > Michael

    ROFL!!! The Beet stuff will improve Peaches blood -- kitty ain't so dumb.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  19. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Dog3 wrote:
    > [email protected] (PENMART01) deliciously posted in news:[email protected]
    > m27.aol.com:
    >
    >>> My lovebird, Peaches, adores fresh carrots and celery/celery leaves, fresh spinach and such. But
    >>> of course I can't simply purchase 1 carrot, 1 stalk of celery with leaves attached or one
    >>> spinach leaf.
    >>>
    >>> Your suggestions are most welcome.
    >>>
    >>> Jill
    >>
    >> The stupidmarkets I shop sell loose carrots, same as they do loose potatoes, onions, etc... not
    >> all produce is sold only pre-packaged. And if you ask the produce managers they will gladly give
    >> you some veggie top trimmings for free.

    > I can see it now. The kitties freezing a bunch of veggies to fatten Peaches up :)
    >
    > Michael

    She doesn't need fattening! But the veggies are essential to a tropical bird diet. I'm just lucky
    she's not as fussy as I am when it comes to raw veggies! She's chomping down on a carrot even as we
    speak :) She attempted to fly around the room a little earlier. She is not good at that!

    Jill

  20. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ah, but nuts are sold in bulk in a bin. I have never seen a single stalk of celery for sale;
    >>> it's always in bunches. Ditto spinach and other greens. And yes, the things we do!
    >>
    >> Have you checked out the salad bar? It might be okay, pricewise to just get some celery and
    >> carrots. Ditto spinach salad, unless it's dressed.
    >>
    >> nancy

    They sell all kinds of veggies loose at most of the markets I shop. You can buy loose carrots,
    celery, broccoli and cauliflower to name a few. I hate frozen spinach so I don't think I'd bother to
    freeze it. I'd ask the produce person if they had any loose veggies hanging around in the back. I'm
    sure there are some greens back there and you would most likely get a good price or maybe a freebie.

    Michael