Freezing Garlic

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ypauls, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Ypauls

    Ypauls Guest

    Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
    garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they have
    been there for several years... This may be a case of being
    too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially ypauls

    Tags:

  2. Tenzo

    Tenzo Guest

    "ypauls" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
    > garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
    > have been there for several years... This may be a case of
    > being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially ypauls

    IMHO. Once you froze it, it was bad

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    ypauls wrote:

    > Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
    > garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
    > have been there for several years... This may be a case of
    > being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially ypauls

    Throw it out. Life is too short for old dried out garlic.

    nancy

  4. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "ypauls" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
    > garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
    > have been there for several years... This may be a case of
    > being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially ypauls

    Just chunk it... It's not worth the effort at this point.

    Garlic is cheap, and there is no substitute for fresh
    garlic. ;-) If you are worried about preservation, just use
    garlic powder!

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:45:33 -0800, "ypauls" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
    >garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
    >have been there for several years... This may be a case of
    >being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially

    Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
    for fresh.

    -sw

  6. Ypauls

    Ypauls Guest

    Ok, thanks The frozen garlic is history...

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:45:33 -0800, "ypauls"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
    > >garlic? The sections seem to be
    in
    > >good shape, but they have been there for several years...
    > >This may be a case of being too frugal, any guidelines on
    > >this? Cordially
    >
    > Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
    > for fresh.
    >
    > -sw

  7. Bigbazza

    Bigbazza Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:45:33 -0800, "ypauls"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
    > >garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
    > >have been there for several years... This may be a case
    > >of being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially
    >
    > Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
    > for fresh.
    >
    > -sw

    Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a head
    here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is only and
    alway's the way to go with Garlic....

    Bigbazza(Oz)..

  8. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    ypauls wrote:
    > Ok, thanks The frozen garlic is history...

    Right move. What I can't figure out is how it lasted long
    enough to require the thought of freezing! ;-)

    --
    Steve

  9. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:32:43 +1100, "Bigbazza"
    <[email protected]!noaddress.com> wrote:

    >> Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
    >> for fresh.
    >
    >Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a head
    >here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is only and
    >alway's the way to go with Garlic....

    I suspect your garlic is much smaller, as well.

    -sw

  10. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:32:43 +1100, "Bigbazza"
    <[email protected]!noaddress.com> wrote:

    >Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a head
    >here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is only and
    >alway's the way to go with Garlic....

    I should've noted that when it's sold by the pound, it's
    usually $2-$3, and are usually smaller heads - in which case
    they are much less expensive.

    -sw

  11. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:32:43 +1100, "Bigbazza"
    > <[email protected]!noaddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
    > >> for fresh.
    > >
    > >Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a
    > >head here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is
    > >only and alway's the way to go with Garlic....
    >
    > I suspect your garlic is much smaller, as well.
    >
    > -sw

    Not to mention an exchange rate of Au$1.40 (or thereabouts)
    per US$1.00

    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  12. Bigbazza

    Bigbazza Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:32:43 +1100, "Bigbazza"
    > <[email protected]!noaddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
    > >> for fresh.
    > >
    > >Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a
    > >head here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is
    > >only and alway's the way to go with Garlic....
    >
    > I suspect your garlic is much smaller, as well.
    >
    > -sw

    No..Steve...I never buy small heads of Garlic myself...I
    always buy ones with large cloves in it..I also usually buy
    it by the 1/2 to 1 Kg quantity...Cheap enough to throw away
    if it starts to dry out...there usually are about 10-12
    heads to the Kilo...working it out again I suppose I would
    pay between 15-20c each....But definately not small ones....

    Bigbazza (Oz)..

  13. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:15 +1100, "Bigbazza"
    <[email protected]!noaddress.com> wrote:

    >No..Steve...I never buy small heads of Garlic myself...I
    >always buy ones with large cloves in it..I also usually
    >buy it by the 1/2 to 1 Kg quantity...Cheap enough to
    >throw away if it starts to dry out...there usually are
    >about 10-12 heads to the Kilo...working it out again I
    >suppose I would pay between 15-20c each....But definately
    >not small ones....

    I only buy 1-2 heads at a time, but I go to the grocery
    store pretty often. My problem is having them sprout,
    not dry out.

    So how do you keep 'em from sprouting?

    -sw

  14. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:15 +1100, "Bigbazza"
    > <[email protected]!noaddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >No..Steve...I never buy small heads of Garlic myself...I
    > >always buy ones with large cloves in it..I also usually
    > >buy it by the 1/2 to 1 Kg quantity...Cheap enough to
    > >throw away if it starts to dry out...there usually are
    > >about 10-12 heads to the Kilo...working it out again I
    > >suppose I would pay between 15-20c each....But definately
    > >not small ones....
    >
    > I only buy 1-2 heads at a time, but I go to the grocery
    > store pretty often. My problem is having them sprout, not
    > dry out.
    >
    > So how do you keep 'em from sprouting?
    >
    > -sw

    Eat them faster... and keep them at 40 degrees? :)

    I just plant them if they sprout. <shrugs>

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  15. Bigbazza

    Bigbazza Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:L7qdnbLyf7[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:15 +1100, "Bigbazza"
    > <[email protected]!noaddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >No..Steve...I never buy small heads of Garlic myself...I
    > >always buy ones with large cloves in it..I also usually
    > >buy it by the 1/2 to 1 Kg quantity...Cheap enough to
    > >throw away if it starts to dry out...there usually are
    > >about 10-12 heads to the Kilo...working it out again I
    suppose I
    > >would pay between 15-20c each....But definately not small
    > >ones....
    >
    > I only buy 1-2 heads at a time, but I go to the grocery
    > store pretty often. My problem is having them sprout, not
    > dry out.
    >
    > So how do you keep 'em from sprouting?
    >
    > -sw

    Sorry Steve I missed this post....I don't usually have them
    long enough to sprout...But when they do (if it has only
    just begun)...I just cut off the new sprouting and use them
    anyway...This usually happens at the 'End' of my supply and
    I have no more left...I will then use it if I want it 'Bad'
    enough..<g>....

    Bigbazza..Oz