Freezing Garlic

Ypauls

Guest
Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they have
been there for several years... This may be a case of being
too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially ypauls

"ypauls" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
> garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
> have been there for several years... This may be a case of
> being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially ypauls

IMHO. Once you froze it, it was bad

ypauls wrote:

> Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
> garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
> have been there for several years... This may be a case of
> being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially ypauls

Throw it out. Life is too short for old dried out garlic.

nancy

In article <[email protected]>, "ypauls" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
> garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
> have been there for several years... This may be a case of
> being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially ypauls

Just chunk it... It's not worth the effort at this point.

Garlic is cheap, and there is no substitute for fresh
garlic. ;-) If you are worried about preservation, just use
garlic powder!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:45:33 -0800, "ypauls" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
>garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
>have been there for several years... This may be a case of
>being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially

Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
for fresh.

-sw

Ok, thanks The frozen garlic is history...

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:45:33 -0800, "ypauls"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
> >garlic? The sections seem to be
in
> >good shape, but they have been there for several years...
> >This may be a case of being too frugal, any guidelines on
> >this? Cordially
>
> Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
> for fresh.
>
> -sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:45:33 -0800, "ypauls"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Dear Food Experts Is there a life expectancy on frozen
> >garlic? The sections seem to be in good shape, but they
> >have been there for several years... This may be a case
> >of being too frugal, any guidelines on this? Cordially
>
> Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
> for fresh.
>
> -sw

Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a head
here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is only and
alway's the way to go with Garlic....

Bigbazza(Oz)..

ypauls wrote:
> Ok, thanks The frozen garlic is history...

Right move. What I can't figure out is how it lasted long
enough to require the thought of freezing! ;-)

--
Steve

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:32:43 +1100, "Bigbazza"
<b.m@!noaddress.com> wrote:

>> Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
>> for fresh.
>
>Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a head
>here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is only and
>alway's the way to go with Garlic....

I suspect your garlic is much smaller, as well.

-sw

<b.m@!noaddress.com> wrote:

>Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a head
>here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is only and
>alway's the way to go with Garlic....

I should've noted that when it's sold by the pound, it's
usually $2-$3, and are usually smaller heads - in which case
they are much less expensive.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:32:43 +1100, "Bigbazza"
> <b.m@!noaddress.com> wrote:
>
> >> Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
> >> for fresh.
> >
> >Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a
> >head here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is
> >only and alway's the way to go with Garlic....
>
> I suspect your garlic is much smaller, as well.
>
> -sw

Not to mention an exchange rate of Au$1.40 (or thereabouts)
per US$1.00

--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:32:43 +1100, "Bigbazza"
> <b.m@!noaddress.com> wrote:
>
> >> Garlic is $.33-$.50 head, and there is *no* substitute
> >> for fresh.
> >
> >Gosh...That's expensive !....It would only be 10-15c a
> >head here in Sydney....Why try to preserve it...Best is
> >only and alway's the way to go with Garlic....
>
> I suspect your garlic is much smaller, as well.
>
> -sw

No..Steve...I never buy small heads of Garlic myself...I
always buy ones with large cloves in it..I also usually buy
it by the 1/2 to 1 Kg quantity...Cheap enough to throw away
if it starts to dry out...there usually are about 10-12
heads to the Kilo...working it out again I suppose I would
pay between 15-20c each....But definately not small ones....

Bigbazza (Oz)..

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:15 +1100, "Bigbazza"
<b.m@!noaddress.com> wrote:

>No..Steve...I never buy small heads of Garlic myself...I
>always buy ones with large cloves in it..I also usually
>buy it by the 1/2 to 1 Kg quantity...Cheap enough to
>throw away if it starts to dry out...there usually are
>about 10-12 heads to the Kilo...working it out again I
>suppose I would pay between 15-20c each....But definately
>not small ones....

I only buy 1-2 heads at a time, but I go to the grocery
store pretty often. My problem is having them sprout,
not dry out.

So how do you keep 'em from sprouting?

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:15 +1100, "Bigbazza"
> <b.m@!noaddress.com> wrote:
>
> >No..Steve...I never buy small heads of Garlic myself...I
> >always buy ones with large cloves in it..I also usually
> >buy it by the 1/2 to 1 Kg quantity...Cheap enough to
> >throw away if it starts to dry out...there usually are
> >about 10-12 heads to the Kilo...working it out again I
> >suppose I would pay between 15-20c each....But definately
> >not small ones....
>
> I only buy 1-2 heads at a time, but I go to the grocery
> store pretty often. My problem is having them sprout, not
> dry out.
>
> So how do you keep 'em from sprouting?
>
> -sw

Eat them faster... and keep them at 40 degrees? :)

I just plant them if they sprout. <shrugs>

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:15 +1100, "Bigbazza"
> <b.m@!noaddress.com> wrote:
>
> >No..Steve...I never buy small heads of Garlic myself...I
> >always buy ones with large cloves in it..I also usually
> >buy it by the 1/2 to 1 Kg quantity...Cheap enough to
> >throw away if it starts to dry out...there usually are
> >about 10-12 heads to the Kilo...working it out again I
suppose I
> >would pay between 15-20c each....But definately not small
> >ones....
>
> I only buy 1-2 heads at a time, but I go to the grocery
> store pretty often. My problem is having them sprout, not
> dry out.
>
> So how do you keep 'em from sprouting?
>
> -sw

Sorry Steve I missed this post....I don't usually have them
long enough to sprout...But when they do (if it has only
just begun)...I just cut off the new sprouting and use them
anyway...This usually happens at the 'End' of my supply and
I have no more left...I will then use it if I want it 'Bad'
enough..<g>....

Bigbazza..Oz