freezing half-and-half

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Nov 26, 2005.

  1. I've done several searches about freezing half-and-half and come up with
    different answers. I have a half-gallon I just got and I'll never use it
    all before it goes, so I'm going to try freezing it anyway.

    I know it'll separate when I freeze it...but will it blend back together if
    shaken well? My two main uses for half-and-half are in coffee and to make
    quiches.

    The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work well
    for cooking something like a quiche?

    J.S.
    Seattle

    Tags:

  2. It will separate. The look and mouth-feel will be quite disgusting when
    poured into coffee. Shaking, blending, or stirring won't help.

    I never tried to cook with separated half-and-half, but I imagine that
    the fact that it's separated will mean that it won't mix well with the
    other ingredients. Possibly nasty.

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I've done several searches about freezing half-and-half and come up
    > with different answers. I have a half-gallon I just got and I'll
    > never use it all before it goes, so I'm going to try freezing it
    > anyway.
    >
    > I know it'll separate when I freeze it...but will it blend back
    > together if shaken well? My two main uses for half-and-half are in
    > coffee and to make quiches.
    >
    > The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work
    > well for cooking something like a quiche?
    >
    > J.S.
    > Seattle

    It will be fine. You might want to pour it into smaller containers before
    freezing and just thaw what you want/will use in the refrigerator. Shake
    well, then use.

    Jill

  4. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:09:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > I've done several searches about freezing half-and-half and come up with
    > different answers. I have a half-gallon I just got and I'll never use it
    > all before it goes, so I'm going to try freezing it anyway.
    >
    > I know it'll separate when I freeze it...but will it blend back together if
    > shaken well? My two main uses for half-and-half are in coffee and to make
    > quiches.
    >
    > The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work well
    > for cooking something like a quiche?

    I haven't tried freezing half and half,I bet it will be fine for
    cooking purposes when thawed. Not sure how it will do in coffee. The
    only way to know is to try it. If you don't want to sacrifice an
    entire cup of coffee, just pour a small amount of it into a small
    amount of coffee. If it passes the *look* test, you're in business.

  5. "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message

    > The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work well
    > for cooking something like a quiche?

    Make the quiche now and freeze it.

  6. In article <[email protected]>,

    > I've done several searches about freezing half-and-half and come up with
    > different answers. I have a half-gallon I just got and I'll never use it
    > all before it goes, so I'm going to try freezing it anyway.
    >
    > I know it'll separate when I freeze it...but will it blend back together if
    > shaken well? My two main uses for half-and-half are in coffee and to make
    > quiches.
    >
    > The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work well
    > for cooking something like a quiche?
    >
    > J.S.
    > Seattle

    It'll be fine, but I'd separate it into smaller containers so you only
    have to thaw once.

    I've frozen whole milk, buttermilk, half/half, heavy cream and even sour
    cream. Since I mostly use that stuff for cooking, it comes out just fine.

    Most of the buttermilk was actually used for drinking and it came out
    just fine as well. When mom was dying, she had a sensitive stomach and
    buttermilk helped. It was nice to be able to purchase several 1/2 gallon
    containers at a time and freeze it so it'd be on hand whenever she
    needed it with just a quick thaw in the microwave.
    --
    Om.

  7. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> I've done several searches about freezing half-and-half and come up
    >> with different answers. I have a half-gallon I just got and I'll
    >> never use it all before it goes, so I'm going to try freezing it
    >> anyway.
    >>
    >> I know it'll separate when I freeze it...but will it blend back
    >> together if shaken well? My two main uses for half-and-half are in
    >> coffee and to make quiches.
    >>
    >> The coffee is going to be touchy-- but when it's thawed, will it work
    >> well for cooking something like a quiche?
    >>
    >> J.S.
    >> Seattle

    > It will be fine. You might want to pour it into smaller containers
    > before freezing and just thaw what you want/will use in the
    > refrigerator. Shake well, then use.
    >
    > Jill

    This may sound weird but I've frozen it in ice cube trays using a cube for
    a cup of coffee. I no longer do it but I did it for years and it was fine.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net