Freezing Lemons

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Levelwave©, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
    keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
    one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
    question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
    in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
    the juice?

    ~john

    --
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a
    civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will

    "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a
    step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." --
    Janet Reno US Attorney General

    Tags:

  2. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >Levelwave writes:
    >
    >Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
    >keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
    >one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
    >question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
    >in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
    >the juice?

    Depends on your use for the juice... upon defrosting the
    flavor changes a bit, almost as bad as using
    reconstituted.... I wouldn't freeze them. Fresh lemons can
    last a couple of weeks in the fridge. Lemons are
    inexpensive, I almost always buy one or two each time I do
    my weekly shopping... during summer I buy more, I also buy
    limes... I use em for basting while grillin'... I also like
    em in my rum n' cokes. I often use lemons and/or lime ifor
    my salad dressing instead of vinegar. These lovelies have so
    many uses... I can't remember the last time one went to
    waste. Toss the spent skins in your bath water.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  3. Jonski

    Jonski Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 21:42:16 -0500, Levelwave© <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I
    >usually keep around but every so often I find myself in
    >need of one...

    So what do you put in your gin & tonics???

    ;-) Jon

  4. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:14:53 +1300, Jonski
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 21:42:16 -0500, Levelwave©
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I
    >>usually keep around but every so often I find myself in
    >>need of one...
    >
    >So what do you put in your gin & tonics???

    Limes.

    -sw

  5. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    Levelwave© wrote:

    >>Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I
    >>usually keep around but every so often I find myself in
    >>need of one...
    >
    >So what do you put in your gin & tonics???

    Gin & Tonic in made with lime.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  6. Nancree

    Nancree Guest

    >Subject: Re: Freezing Lemons
    >From: Jonski
    ------------------------
    Squeeze the lemons, put the juice in an ice-cube tray and
    freeze. In a couple of hours they will be frozem--pop them
    into a baggie and keep this in the freezer. Nancree

  7. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Levelwave(C) <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
    > keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
    > one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
    > question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
    > in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
    > the juice?
    >
    > ~john

    Better way is to go ahead and juice them and pour the juice
    into an ice cube tray, then double bag the "lemon cubes" in
    the freezer...

    Mom used to do this all the time when they were on sale! I
    need to continue the practice. I cleaned out the 'frige
    today and had to toss 4 lemons, one lime and about 8 oz.
    fresh ginger.

    I need to experiment with freezing grated ginger. Fresh
    ginger is SO much better than dried/powdered!

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  8. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >I need to experiment with freezing grated ginger.
    >
    >K.

    Frozen ginger grates just fine.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  9. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    > Frozen ginger grates just fine.

    And there is no discernible difference in taste... I
    normally just drop 1" sections of the root in a zip lock bag
    and toss it in the freezer... When I need some ginger I just
    pull it out - grate - and place it back in the fridge...

    ~john

    --
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a
    civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will
    be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will
    follow our lead into the future!" -- Adolph Hitler, 1935

    "Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a
    step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." --
    Janet Reno US Attorney General

  10. Katra

    Katra Guest

  11. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Levelwave(C) <[email protected]> wrote:

    > PENMART01 wrote:
    >
    > > Frozen ginger grates just fine.
    >
    > And there is no discernible difference in taste... I
    > normally just drop 1" sections of the root in a zip lock
    > bag and toss it in the freezer... When I need some ginger
    > I just pull it out - grate - and place it back in the
    > fridge...
    >
    > ~john

    Awesome, thanks guys! :) I'm going to try this for sure!
    I'm tired of tossing moldy ginger. Such a waste and dad
    tends to "overstock" us at the beginning of the month, even
    tho' I use a lot in stir fry's and stuff.

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  12. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

    > >> Frozen ginger grates just fine.
    > >>
    > >> Sheldon
    > >
    > >Oh! Freeze the whole bud? I was considering grating it
    > >first, then freezing it.
    > >
    > >Thanks!
    > >K.
    >
    > Don't even need to peel it... just don't attempt to slice
    > off a frozen chunk with a knife, very dangerous. Instead
    > slice off a few small "coins" prior to freezing.
    >
    > Sheldon

    I'll most likely freeze it in serving portions, and double
    bag it to prevent freezer burn... For a pan of stir fry, I
    use quite a bit, usually a 1" x 2" bud.

    Thanks again!
    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  13. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Levelwave© wrote:

    > Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
    > keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
    > one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
    > question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
    > in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
    > the juice?
    >
    > ~john

    Works fine. Wash the lemons before you freeze them and you
    can grate the rind as well.

  14. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Levelwave© wrote:

    > Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
    > keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
    > one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
    > question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
    > in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
    > the juice?
    >
    > ~john

    Works fine. Wash the lemons before you freeze them and you
    can grate the rind as well.

  15. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Levelwave© wrote:

    > Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
    > keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
    > one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
    > question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
    > in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
    > the juice?
    >
    > ~john

    Works fine. Wash the lemons before you freeze them and you
    can grate the rind as well.

  16. Paula

    Paula Guest

    i freeze whole and sliced lemons/limes. the slices go into
    drinks and if i need juice i de-frost a whole fruit, then
    cut in half and place cut side down onto a saucer or small
    dish and then zap it on full power for about 30-45 seconds
    in the microwave. you seem to get twice as much juice out of
    the fruit by zapping it.

  17. Paula

    Paula Guest

    i freeze whole and sliced lemons/limes. the slices go into
    drinks and if i need juice i de-frost a whole fruit, then
    cut in half and place cut side down onto a saucer or small
    dish and then zap it on full power for about 30-45 seconds
    in the microwave. you seem to get twice as much juice out of
    the fruit by zapping it.

  18. Paula

    Paula Guest

    i freeze whole and sliced lemons/limes. the slices go into
    drinks and if i need juice i de-frost a whole fruit, then
    cut in half and place cut side down onto a saucer or small
    dish and then zap it on full power for about 30-45 seconds
    in the microwave. you seem to get twice as much juice out of
    the fruit by zapping it.

  19. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <KatraMungBean-
    [email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I need to experiment with freezing grated ginger. Fresh
    > ginger is SO much better than dried/powdered!

    No need to freeze your ginger...simply place it, peeled, in
    a jar and fill the jar with sherry. It will last virtually
    forever in your fridge and the bonus is you get to cook with
    the flavored sherry as well.
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  20. Bigbazza

    Bigbazza Guest

    "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Levelwave(C) <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
    > > keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
    > > one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of
    > > the question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole
    > > lemons in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using
    > > them for the juice?
    > >
    > > ~john
    >
    > Better way is to go ahead and juice them and pour the
    > juice into an ice cube tray, then double bag the "lemon
    > cubes" in the freezer...
    >
    > Mom used to do this all the time when they were on sale! I
    > need to continue the practice. I cleaned out the 'frige
    > today and had to toss 4 lemons, one lime and about 8 oz.
    > fresh ginger.
    >
    > I need to experiment with freezing grated ginger. Fresh
    > ginger is SO much better than dried/powdered!
    >
    > K.
    >
    > --
    > Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
    >
    > >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

    Besides Freezing Ginger (as Sheldon Say's)..I just toss them
    into a glass container and pour enough Dry Sherry to cover
    them and they keep for a long time like this in the fridge
    and it also gives me 'Ginger Flavoured' Sherry to use in
    Asian Cooking....

    Bigbazza(Oz)..