Freezing Lemons

Levelwave©

Guest
Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
the juice?

~john

--
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a
civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a
step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." --
Janet Reno US Attorney General

>Levelwave writes:
>
>Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
>keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
>one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
>question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
>in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
>the juice?

Depends on your use for the juice... upon defrosting the
flavor changes a bit, almost as bad as using
reconstituted.... I wouldn't freeze them. Fresh lemons can
last a couple of weeks in the fridge. Lemons are
inexpensive, I almost always buy one or two each time I do
my weekly shopping... during summer I buy more, I also buy
limes... I use em for basting while grillin'... I also like
em in my rum n' cokes. I often use lemons and/or lime ifor
my salad dressing instead of vinegar. These lovelies have so
many uses... I can't remember the last time one went to
waste. Toss the spent skins in your bath water.

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 21:42:16 -0500, Levelwave© <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I
>usually keep around but every so often I find myself in
>need of one...

So what do you put in your gin & tonics???

;-) Jon

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 16:14:53 +1300, Jonski
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 21:42:16 -0500, Levelwave©
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I
>>usually keep around but every so often I find myself in
>>need of one...
>
>So what do you put in your gin & tonics???

Limes.

-sw

Levelwave© wrote:

>>Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I
>>usually keep around but every so often I find myself in
>>need of one...
>
>So what do you put in your gin & tonics???

Gin & Tonic in made with lime.

---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

>Subject: Re: Freezing Lemons
>From: Jonski
------------------------
Squeeze the lemons, put the juice in an ice-cube tray and
freeze. In a couple of hours they will be frozem--pop them
into a baggie and keep this in the freezer. Nancree

In article <[email protected]>,
Levelwave(C) <[email protected]> wrote:

> Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
> keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
> one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
> question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
> in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
> the juice?
>
> ~john

Better way is to go ahead and juice them and pour the juice
into an ice cube tray, then double bag the "lemon cubes" in
the freezer...

Mom used to do this all the time when they were on sale! I
need to continue the practice. I cleaned out the 'frige
today and had to toss 4 lemons, one lime and about 8 oz.
fresh ginger.

I need to experiment with freezing grated ginger. Fresh
ginger is SO much better than dried/powdered!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

>I need to experiment with freezing grated ginger.
>
>K.

Frozen ginger grates just fine.

PENMART01 wrote:

> Frozen ginger grates just fine.

And there is no discernible difference in taste... I
normally just drop 1" sections of the root in a zip lock bag
and toss it in the freezer... When I need some ginger I just
pull it out - grate - and place it back in the fridge...

~john

--
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a
civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will
be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will
follow our lead into the future!" -- Adolph ******, 1935

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a
step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal." --
Janet Reno US Attorney General

In article <[email protected]>,
Levelwave(C) <[email protected]> wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> > Frozen ginger grates just fine.
>
> And there is no discernible difference in taste... I
> normally just drop 1" sections of the root in a zip lock
> bag and toss it in the freezer... When I need some ginger
> I just pull it out - grate - and place it back in the
> fridge...
>
> ~john

Awesome, thanks guys! :) I'm going to try this for sure!
I'm tired of tossing moldy ginger. Such a waste and dad
tends to "overstock" us at the beginning of the month, even
tho' I use a lot in stir fry's and stuff.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:

> >> Frozen ginger grates just fine.
> >>
> >> Sheldon
> >
> >Oh! Freeze the whole bud? I was considering grating it
> >first, then freezing it.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >K.
>
> Don't even need to peel it... just don't attempt to slice
> off a frozen chunk with a knife, very dangerous. Instead
> slice off a few small "coins" prior to freezing.
>
> Sheldon

I'll most likely freeze it in serving portions, and double
bag it to prevent freezer burn... For a pan of stir fry, I
use quite a bit, usually a 1" x 2" bud.

Thanks again!
K.

--

Levelwave© wrote:

> Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
> keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
> one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
> question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
> in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
> the juice?
>
> ~john

Works fine. Wash the lemons before you freeze them and you
can grate the rind as well.

Levelwave© wrote:

> Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
> keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
> one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of the
> question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole lemons
> in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using them for
> the juice?
>
> ~john

Works fine. Wash the lemons before you freeze them and you
can grate the rind as well.

i freeze whole and sliced lemons/limes. the slices go into
drinks and if i need juice i de-frost a whole fruit, then
cut in half and place cut side down onto a saucer or small
dish and then zap it on full power for about 30-45 seconds
in the microwave. you seem to get twice as much juice out of
the fruit by zapping it.

i freeze whole and sliced lemons/limes. the slices go into
drinks and if i need juice i de-frost a whole fruit, then
cut in half and place cut side down onto a saucer or small
dish and then zap it on full power for about 30-45 seconds
in the microwave. you seem to get twice as much juice out of
the fruit by zapping it.

i freeze whole and sliced lemons/limes. the slices go into
drinks and if i need juice i de-frost a whole fruit, then
cut in half and place cut side down onto a saucer or small
dish and then zap it on full power for about 30-45 seconds
in the microwave. you seem to get twice as much juice out of
the fruit by zapping it.

In article <KatraMungBean-
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> I need to experiment with freezing grated ginger. Fresh
> ginger is SO much better than dried/powdered!

No need to freeze your ginger...simply place it, peeled, in
a jar and fill the jar with sherry. It will last virtually
forever in your fridge and the bonus is you get to cook with
the flavored sherry as well.
--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
hopes they are.

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Levelwave(C) <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone tried this? Lemons aren't something I usually
> > keep around but every so often I find myself in need of
> > one... and driving back to the stupidmarket is out of
> > the question... Is it possible to just drop a few whole
> > lemons in the deep freeze if I'm only going to be using
> > them for the juice?
> >
> > ~john
>
> Better way is to go ahead and juice them and pour the
> juice into an ice cube tray, then double bag the "lemon
> cubes" in the freezer...
>
> Mom used to do this all the time when they were on sale! I
> need to continue the practice. I cleaned out the 'frige
> today and had to toss 4 lemons, one lime and about 8 oz.
> fresh ginger.
>
> I need to experiment with freezing grated ginger. Fresh
> ginger is SO much better than dried/powdered!
>
> K.
>
> --
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

Besides Freezing Ginger (as Sheldon Say's)..I just toss them
into a glass container and pour enough Dry Sherry to cover
them and they keep for a long time like this in the fridge
and it also gives me 'Ginger Flavoured' Sherry to use in
Asian Cooking....

Bigbazza(Oz)..