Hey Folks,

I wonder if anyone has any details on the freezing of roux.
My Gisslen textbook suggests that freezing flour will cause
it to breakdown somewhat and loose some of it's thickening
power. Does anyone have any experience as to how much roux
is affected by freezing?

Any thoughts appreciated.

jp

On 2004-06-12, JP Fournier <[email protected]> wrote:

> Any thoughts appreciated.

I don't understand the point of freezing roux. How much time
difference can realized between reheating frozen roux and
preparing fresh roux?

nb

JP Fournier wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> I wonder if anyone has any details on the freezing of
> roux. My Gisslen textbook suggests that freezing flour
> will cause it to breakdown somewhat and loose

lose

> some of it's

its

> thickening power. Does anyone have any experience as to
> how much roux is affected by freezing?
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.

Many restaurants keep a pot of roux near the stove. Takes
forever to go off. It should keep just fine at room temp for
weeks. Even more weeks in the fridge.

Pastorio

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 15:09:45 GMT, notbob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 2004-06-12, JP Fournier <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Any thoughts appreciated.
>
>I don't understand the point of freezing roux. How much
>time difference can realized between reheating frozen roux
>and preparing fresh roux?

A proper roux does take a bit of time and attention to make
properly. I make about 2 cups at a time and keep it in a
jar in the fridge. Long shelf life and it doesn't seem to
break down any.

-sw

On 2004-06-12, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> A proper roux does take a bit of time and attention to
> make properly.

Hmmmm... I didn't think about a cajun/creole roux. That may
be a time saver. A basic french roux (white) only takes a
couple minutes.

nb

In the hotel we used to make up a big batch at a time and use the left over
as a Beurre Marie. Which is the same, but cold.
Rob
news:[email protected]...