freezing vegetables

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Katra, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can you short term freeze broccoli and cauliflower without blanching,
    > and still have a safe product? Blanching seems to leave too much water
    > and they stick together even when I "well drain"
    > them....Thanks....Sharon

    It would be safe, but I think the texture would end up leaving much to
    be desired. ;-)

    Try spreading the blanched veggies on a cookie sheet and freezing them
    that way, then bagging them once they are frozen.

    A little trick mom taught me!

    HTH?

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
    tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
    to use mental floss twice a day. -- Swami Beyondanada

  2. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:03:06 -0500, biig <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can you short term freeze broccoli and cauliflower without blanching,
    >and still have a safe product? Blanching seems to leave too much water
    >and they stick together even when I "well drain"
    >them....Thanks....Sharon

    Depends on how you blanche the vegetables and how you drain them
    immediately following the blanching. I don't like frozen broccoli
    but cauliflower is not too bad. Dont ever blanch and freeze capsicums
    or green beans. They just don't work.

    Daisy

  3. biig

    biig Guest

    Can you short term freeze broccoli and cauliflower without blanching,
    and still have a safe product? Blanching seems to leave too much water
    and they stick together even when I "well drain"
    them....Thanks....Sharon

  4. --

    -- Guest

    "biig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > Can you short term freeze broccoli and cauliflower without blanching,
    > and still have a safe product? Blanching seems to leave too much water
    > and they stick together even when I "well drain"
    > them....Thanks....Sharon

    As I understand it, and double-checking the U of M book on freezing foods -

    1) blanching is done to stop enzyme action that continues in the freezer,
    that action slower the lower the temperature until 0 F is reached. The
    enzymes apparently break down the product and vitamins above 0 F.
    (The water inside the fibers breaks the fiber down by water expansion and
    makes the fiber soggy of the product is frozen at higher than -10 F, i.e.,
    if you freeze it too slowly. )

    So "short-term" is relative to the freezer temp and the enzymes involved.

    But if stored at 0 F, a lack of blanching effects in vegetables are
    apparently seen after about four weeks.

    2) Blanching requires the internal temperature of the vegetable get to 180
    F, and cold (iced) water to quench as soon as they are taken from the
    boiling water.

    Broccoli and Cauliflower are both listed in the blanch table as 4 minutues.

    I would guess that having too much water on the product means you had too
    little boiling water in the pot so it stopped boiling too long - and perhaps
    you left them in too long so they boiling water thoroughly cooked some of
    the fiber....?

    3) And when storing in the freezer - to minimize freezer burn, put a layer
    of Saran wrap tightly on any stored product followed by aluminum foil wrap.
    Unlike other plastics made into sheets (glad, et al), Saran is the only
    thermoplastic plastic that does not allow moisture migration.

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    biig wrote:
    > By short term, I mean a week or two at the most. A good size
    > cauliflower is too much for us for one meal, so I froze what we

    didn't
    > use and mixed in some cleaned raw broccoli. We have the combo once a
    > week usually...thanks.....Sharon

    Why not simply bisect the cauliflower. Use half and store the other
    half in the fridge... cruciferous veggies can easily keep refrigerated
    for more than a month. I think home freezing cauliflower is wasteful,
    turns it to mush. Most veggies don't freeze well unless they're flash
    frozen.

  6. Pierre

    Pierre Guest

    biig wrote:
    > Can you short term freeze broccoli and cauliflower without blanching,
    > and still have a safe product? Blanching seems to leave too much

    water
    > and they stick together even when I "well drain"
    > them....Thanks....Sharon

    Its just a vegetable. Water be dammed. Freeze it. Enjoy it later.

    Pierre