Freezing Yorkshire Puddings

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Daisy, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    I have successfully made Yorkshire Pudding for many years, but this
    year the family want a Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Christmas
    Dinner. There will be 12 of us altogether and I only have one oven -
    it's a European one and not very big. I can manage a 4-5lb roast of
    beef ok, but don't want it to rest the 45 minutes the puddings will
    take.

    Has anyone made these in muffin pans (similar to popovers) and then
    frozen and reheated them? If so, I would really like to know if
    there is anything I should do in the freezing and reheating process.

    I found a recipe that said frozen Yorkshire puddings can be reheated
    from frozen in 15-20 minutes. But there was no review of the
    recipe.

    Thanks all, and Merry Christmas.


    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
     
    Tags:


  2. Noises Off

    Noises Off Guest

    Daisy wrote:

    > I have successfully made Yorkshire Pudding for many years, but this
    > year the family want a Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Christmas
    > Dinner. There will be 12 of us altogether and I only have one oven -
    > it's a European one and not very big. I can manage a 4-5lb roast of
    > beef ok, but don't want it to rest the 45 minutes the puddings will
    > take.
    >
    > Has anyone made these in muffin pans (similar to popovers) and then
    > frozen and reheated them? If so, I would really like to know if
    > there is anything I should do in the freezing and reheating process.
    >
    > I found a recipe that said frozen Yorkshire puddings can be reheated
    > from frozen in 15-20 minutes. But there was no review of the
    > recipe.


    In the UK you can buy frozen Yorkshire Puddings (the small
    individual ones not the whole meat pan type). They seem sell
    well so I guess they are OK. When I make Yorkshire Puddings
    I cook them for 20 min. or less at 230C. What temperature
    are you using for them to take 45 Min?

    Whenever a cookery program does them, searing heat is
    stressed. Last night Gordon Ramsey did not even remove the
    pre-heated pan from the oven to pour in the mixture! Just
    opened the door and reached in with the bowl.

    Noises Off
     
  3. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:59:22 +1300, Daisy <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have successfully made Yorkshire Pudding for many years, but this
    >year the family want a Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Christmas
    >Dinner. There will be 12 of us altogether and I only have one oven -
    >it's a European one and not very big. I can manage a 4-5lb roast of
    >beef ok, but don't want it to rest the 45 minutes the puddings will
    >take.
    >
    >Has anyone made these in muffin pans (similar to popovers) and then
    >frozen and reheated them? If so, I would really like to know if
    >there is anything I should do in the freezing and reheating process.
    >
    >I found a recipe that said frozen Yorkshire puddings can be reheated
    >from frozen in 15-20 minutes. But there was no review of the
    >recipe.
    >
    >Thanks all, and Merry Christmas.
    >
    >
    >Daisy
    >
    >Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!


    Daisy I have made, frozen and reheated Yorkshire puddings made in
    muffin tins. They are good. I thawed them in advance. That may not be
    necessary, but I didn't try. The key is to reheat them back to crisp
    on the outside stage. I think I'd tend to thaw them first, so the
    inside stays moist.

    I just put the cooked puddings in a plastic bag in the freezer, then
    to reheat them (from thawed) I put them on an oven tray at a fairly
    high temperature till hot. They go a bit flatter when cooled and don't
    rise like they did the first time, but taste fine.

    Kathy in NZ
     
  4. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    "Noises Off" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:[email protected]
    > Daisy wrote:
    >
    >> I have successfully made Yorkshire Pudding for many years, but this
    >> year the family want a Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Christmas
    >> Dinner. There will be 12 of us altogether and I only have one oven -
    >> it's a European one and not very big. I can manage a 4-5lb roast of
    >> beef ok, but don't want it to rest the 45 minutes the puddings will
    >> take.
    >>
    >> Has anyone made these in muffin pans (similar to popovers) and then
    >> frozen and reheated them? If so, I would really like to know if
    >> there is anything I should do in the freezing and reheating process.
    >>
    >> I found a recipe that said frozen Yorkshire puddings can be reheated
    >> from frozen in 15-20 minutes. But there was no review of the
    >> recipe.

    >
    > In the UK you can buy frozen Yorkshire Puddings (the small individual ones
    > not the whole meat pan type). They seem sell well so I guess they are OK.
    > When I make Yorkshire Puddings I cook them for 20 min. or less at 230C.
    > What temperature are you using for them to take 45 Min?
    >
    > Whenever a cookery program does them, searing heat is stressed. Last night
    > Gordon Ramsey did not even remove the pre-heated pan from the oven to pour
    > in the mixture! Just opened the door and reached in with the bowl.
    >
    > Noises Off


    I think it is more simple to reheat roastbeef, rather then yorks.
    If you want to freeze YP you must do it freezing dough, but not when they
    are ready.
    BTW when I made YP this summer with Ophelia's recipe they were ready in
    about 30 minutes, or less...
    Pandora
    >
     
  5. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 03:02:27 +0000, Noises Off
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Daisy wrote:
    >
    >> I have successfully made Yorkshire Pudding for many years, but this
    >> year the family want a Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Christmas
    >> Dinner. There will be 12 of us altogether and I only have one oven -
    >> it's a European one and not very big. I can manage a 4-5lb roast of
    >> beef ok, but don't want it to rest the 45 minutes the puddings will
    >> take.
    >>
    >> Has anyone made these in muffin pans (similar to popovers) and then
    >> frozen and reheated them? If so, I would really like to know if
    >> there is anything I should do in the freezing and reheating process.
    >>
    >> I found a recipe that said frozen Yorkshire puddings can be reheated
    >> from frozen in 15-20 minutes. But there was no review of the
    >> recipe.

    >
    >In the UK you can buy frozen Yorkshire Puddings (the small
    >individual ones not the whole meat pan type). They seem sell
    >well so I guess they are OK. When I make Yorkshire Puddings
    >I cook them for 20 min. or less at 230C. What temperature
    >are you using for them to take 45 Min?


    Oh I use about 210 to 220 for a large pudding that takes 40-45 mins.
    But I would use about 220 for 20 mins for smaller (large muffin size)
    puddings.
    >
    >Whenever a cookery program does them, searing heat is
    >stressed. Last night Gordon Ramsey did not even remove the
    >pre-heated pan from the oven to pour in the mixture! Just
    >opened the door and reached in with the bowl.
    >
    >Noises Off


    Oh yes I guess Gordon Ramsey would do that. I would be terribly
    afraid of burning myself. I think you have to be fairly quick though.
    My mother (from whom I learned to make these puddings) always had the
    mixture at hand - and had one of us standing by to open and shut the
    oven when the smoking hot enamel dish came out of the oven and she
    plopped the batter in very quickly and someone opened the oven very
    quickly - an in it went! She was Northern English and knew ALL about
    Yorkshire puddings believe me!

    I can remember her being very fussy about the mixture. It had to be
    beaten (whisked - and there were no electric beaters in those days)
    until little bubbles formed at the top. Then the mixture had to rest
    - she liked at least an hour - and then whisked again until bubbles
    appeared.

    Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas and all the best for 2006.


    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
     
  6. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:58:16 GMT, [email protected] (Kathy in NZ) wrote:

    >On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 14:59:22 +1300, Daisy <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have successfully made Yorkshire Pudding for many years, but this
    >>year the family want a Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Christmas
    >>Dinner. There will be 12 of us altogether and I only have one oven -
    >>it's a European one and not very big. I can manage a 4-5lb roast of
    >>beef ok, but don't want it to rest the 45 minutes the puddings will
    >>take.
    >>
    >>Has anyone made these in muffin pans (similar to popovers) and then
    >>frozen and reheated them? If so, I would really like to know if
    >>there is anything I should do in the freezing and reheating process.
    >>
    >>I found a recipe that said frozen Yorkshire puddings can be reheated
    >>from frozen in 15-20 minutes. But there was no review of the
    >>recipe.
    >>
    >>Thanks all, and Merry Christmas.
    >>
    >>
    >>Daisy
    >>
    >>Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!

    >
    >Daisy I have made, frozen and reheated Yorkshire puddings made in
    >muffin tins. They are good. I thawed them in advance. That may not be
    >necessary, but I didn't try. The key is to reheat them back to crisp
    >on the outside stage. I think I'd tend to thaw them first, so the
    >inside stays moist.
    >
    >I just put the cooked puddings in a plastic bag in the freezer, then
    >to reheat them (from thawed) I put them on an oven tray at a fairly
    >high temperature till hot. They go a bit flatter when cooled and don't
    >rise like they did the first time, but taste fine.
    >
    >Kathy in NZ


    Thanks for all of that. I am in NZ as well (fancy that!). I have
    just taken a batch of 6 from the oven and they look just fine. I have
    another 5 that I cooked earlier and cooled and then froze separately -
    so as to get free flow. I will put them in a plastic bag and then
    freeze the new ones in the same way and they can join the others
    tomorrow.

    I am so pleased to learn that these little puddings will reheat. I
    will thaw them out before I reheat them. One recipe on the Net gave
    10-15 mins from frozen - what timing do you think from the thawed
    state? And what heat? I will have taken the roast beef (which is a
    2.3kg scotch fillet in the piece) from the oven at about 190-200C -
    would that be okay for another (say) 10-12 mins for the puddings do
    you think?

    I like to rest my meat for at least 15 minutes before carving. We are
    having roast vegetables (and some greens like peas and broccoli) and
    the roast vegies will have been cooked earlier and can be reheated in
    the m/w and then crisped off - perhaps when the puddings go in?

    This Christmas Dinner doesn't have to be "perfect", but because it's
    the biggest I've ever been involved in, I certainly don't want soggy
    Yorkshire puddings. You understand .....

    Cheers and Merry Christmas


    Daisy

    Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
     
  7. On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:04:06 +1300, Daisy <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >My mother (from whom I learned to make these puddings) always had the
    >mixture at hand - and had one of us standing by to open and shut the
    >oven when the smoking hot enamel dish came out of the oven and she
    >plopped the batter in very quickly and someone opened the oven very
    >quickly - an in it went!


    I was thinking about making this this year...is it safe to make
    Yorkshire pudding in a Le Crueset pot/pan? I am thinking about
    getting the fat all hot before adding the batter..and wondering how
    that will do.

    I have several Le Crueset pans that would work for this..if it is safe
    enough for the pan.

    Christine
     
  8. On Sat 17 Dec 2005 01:20:27a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
    Dabney?

    > On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:04:06 +1300, Daisy <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>My mother (from whom I learned to make these puddings) always had the
    >>mixture at hand - and had one of us standing by to open and shut the
    >>oven when the smoking hot enamel dish came out of the oven and she
    >>plopped the batter in very quickly and someone opened the oven very
    >>quickly - an in it went!

    >
    > I was thinking about making this this year...is it safe to make
    > Yorkshire pudding in a Le Crueset pot/pan? I am thinking about
    > getting the fat all hot before adding the batter..and wondering how
    > that will do.
    >
    > I have several Le Crueset pans that would work for this..if it is safe
    > enough for the pan.


    There shouldn't be a problem, Christine. I've never done it with Yorkshire
    pudding, but I routinely use a Le Crueset enamelled skillet in a similar
    manner to bake cornbread.

    I preheat at 425 degrees, the skillet with the fat in it until it just
    begins to smoke, then quickly pour the batter in and pop it back into the
    oven. The batter sizzles when it hits the skillet. I've been doing this
    for years with no ill effect.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    _____________________________________________

    A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!
     
  9. On 17 Dec 2005 09:34:19 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There shouldn't be a problem, Christine. I've never done it with Yorkshire
    >pudding, but I routinely use a Le Crueset enamelled skillet in a similar
    >manner to bake cornbread.
    >
    >I preheat at 425 degrees, the skillet with the fat in it until it just
    >begins to smoke, then quickly pour the batter in and pop it back into the
    >oven. The batter sizzles when it hits the skillet. I've been doing this
    >for years with no ill effect.
    >
    >--


    Thanks Wayne. I might try this afterall.

    Christine
     
  10. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Noises Off" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message >
    > In the UK you can buy frozen Yorkshire Puddings (the small individual
    > ones not the whole meat pan type). They seem sell well so I guess they
    > are OK. When I make Yorkshire Puddings I cook them for 20 min. or less
    > at 230C. What temperature are you using for them to take 45 Min?
    >
    > Whenever a cookery program does them, searing heat is stressed. Last
    > night Gordon Ramsey did not even remove the pre-heated pan from the
    > oven to pour in the mixture! Just opened the door and reached in with
    > the bowl.


    Yes I make mine like that too. I don't take the tin out of the oven'

    I have seen Yorkshire pudding for sale in shops but I have never bought
    them. Making them from scratch is part of my heritage:)))))

    O a Yorkshire woman:)
     
  11. Ophelia

    Ophelia Guest

    "Daisy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > I can remember her being very fussy about the mixture. It had to be
    > beaten (whisked - and there were no electric beaters in those days)
    > until little bubbles formed at the top. Then the mixture had to rest
    > - she liked at least an hour - and then whisked again until bubbles
    > appeared.


    Yep... she knew what she was doing:))

    >
    > Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas and all the best for 2006.


    Merry Christmas too you too:)
     
  12. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Daisy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I have successfully made Yorkshire Pudding for many years, but this
    > year the family want a Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Christmas
    > Dinner. There will be 12 of us altogether and I only have one oven -
    > it's a European one and not very big. I can manage a 4-5lb roast of
    > beef ok, but don't want it to rest the 45 minutes the puddings will
    > take.
    >
    > Has anyone made these in muffin pans (similar to popovers) and then
    > frozen and reheated them? If so, I would really like to know if
    > there is anything I should do in the freezing and reheating process.
    >
    > I found a recipe that said frozen Yorkshire puddings can be reheated
    > from frozen in 15-20 minutes. But there was no review of the
    > recipe.
    >
    > Thanks all, and Merry Christmas.
    >
    >
    > Daisy
    >
    >===============


    I've never froze mine but I have made them in both muffin tins and glass
    ramekins. Both work wonderfully! If you used ramekins you could surround
    the roast by them and cook at the same time... That's how I'd do it.


    --
    Syssi
     
  13. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:16:10 +1300, Daisy <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for all of that. I am in NZ as well (fancy that!). I have
    >just taken a batch of 6 from the oven and they look just fine. I have
    >another 5 that I cooked earlier and cooled and then froze separately -
    >so as to get free flow. I will put them in a plastic bag and then
    >freeze the new ones in the same way and they can join the others
    >tomorrow.
    >
    >I am so pleased to learn that these little puddings will reheat. I
    >will thaw them out before I reheat them. One recipe on the Net gave
    >10-15 mins from frozen - what timing do you think from the thawed
    >state? And what heat? I will have taken the roast beef (which is a
    >2.3kg scotch fillet in the piece) from the oven at about 190-200C -
    >would that be okay for another (say) 10-12 mins for the puddings do
    >you think?


    That sounds about right to me, 10-12 minutes at 190-200C. Just keep an
    eye on them that they don't get too brown, but they should be fine. I
    always make my YP in advance, usually earlier on the day, and reheat
    them while the meat is resting. Sometimes I freeze leftovers if
    there's only two of us for the meal.
    >
    >I like to rest my meat for at least 15 minutes before carving. We are
    >having roast vegetables (and some greens like peas and broccoli) and
    >the roast vegies will have been cooked earlier and can be reheated in
    >the m/w and then crisped off - perhaps when the puddings go in?
    >
    >This Christmas Dinner doesn't have to be "perfect", but because it's
    >the biggest I've ever been involved in, I certainly don't want soggy
    >Yorkshire puddings. You understand .....
    >
    >Cheers and Merry Christmas
    >
    >
    >Daisy
    >
    >Carthage demands an explanation for this insolence!
     
  14. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Kathy in NZ wrote:
    .. Sometimes I freeze leftovers if
    > there's only two of us for the meal.


    Leftover YPs!?!? Is there really such a thing?! LOL
     
  15. Don Gray

    Don Gray Guest

    In message "Syssi" wrote:

    > "Daisy" wrote in message
    >
    > > I have successfully made Yorkshire Pudding for many years, but this year
    > > the family want a Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding Christmas Dinner.
    > > There will be 12 of us altogether and I only have one oven - it's a
    > > European one and not very big. I can manage a 4-5lb roast of beef ok,
    > > but don't want it to rest the 45 minutes the puddings will take.
    > >
    > > Has anyone made these in muffin pans (similar to popovers) and then
    > > frozen and reheated them? If so, I would really like to know if there
    > > is anything I should do in the freezing and reheating process.
    > >
    > > I found a recipe that said frozen Yorkshire puddings can be reheated from
    > > frozen in 15-20 minutes. But there was no review of the recipe.
    > >
    > > Thanks all, and Merry Christmas.
    > >
    > > Daisy

    >
    > I've never froze mine but I have made them in both muffin tins and glass
    > ramekins. Both work wonderfully! If you used ramekins you could surround
    > the roast by them and cook at the same time... That's how I'd do it.
    >

    Sorry, but got to disagree with this. Yorkshire puds really do need high
    heat, both to get the fat to burning point before pouring in the batter and
    to lift them up high once the oven door is closed. Putting them in the oven
    alongside a roasting joint really defeats the objective. The temperature
    would be far too low.

    They also can be frozen (a sacreligious process!) for after re-heating in the
    oven they come out far too crunchy. A good pud IMHO should be well risen,
    crunchy on the outside, but still retain a softer inner layer.

    Don, a Yorky born and bred.
     
  16. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:49:11 GMT, Don Gray <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Sorry, but got to disagree with this. Yorkshire puds really do need high
    >heat, both to get the fat to burning point before pouring in the batter and
    >to lift them up high once the oven door is closed. Putting them in the oven
    >alongside a roasting joint really defeats the objective. The temperature
    >would be far too low.
    >

    I agree, high temp is mandatory. If you need to, heat the bottom of
    your pan on the stove before pouring in the batter. In fact, given
    the time crunch Syssi is in, stovetop preheating would be a good idea
    because she doesn't have time to preheat her tins in the oven. Like a
    souffle, yorkshire pudding needs a boost of heat from the bottom to
    rise properly.

    >They also can be frozen (a sacreligious process!) for after re-heating in the
    >oven they come out far too crunchy. A good pud IMHO should be well risen,
    >crunchy on the outside, but still retain a softer inner layer.
    >
    >Don, a Yorky born and bred.


    Don, I need to ask you about those muffin sized puddings. Sure they
    poof up, but do they flatten as much as those made in a skillet?

    yorkshire pudding:
    http://www.uknet.net/showcase/BritishFood/aaa.sized.jpg
    The individuals look more like popovers to me:
    http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/countries/uk/yorkshire-pudding.htm

    popover:
    http://food.oregonstate.edu/images/baked_products/popovers/popover6.jpg

    When I try to make individuals, they turn out between popovers and
    what the picture of individual yorkies looks like... so I am
    reverting back to a big one for xmas dinner.
     
Loading...