Freight across Aust



B

Brendo

Guest
I'm looking at selling my wifes bike through ebay, to a guy in
our fine nation's capital. Is there any bike friendly couriers or
a group that are particularly easy to deal with? I'm in
Rockingham in WA, but getting to Perth won't be an issue if
necessary.
 

slaw

New Member
Dec 19, 2004
196
0
0
People have used Busfreight (Greyhound) with success I believe. About $80 or $90 and can be door to door most places in Oz.
 
Z

Zebee Johnstone

Guest
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 3 Oct 2006 12:14:38 +1000
slaw <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> People have used Busfreight (Greyhound) with success I believe. About
> $80 or $90 and can be door to door most places in Oz.
>


That's how the bent got to me from Canberra. Came in a box, no damage
I could see.

Zebee
 

roshea

Well-Known Member
May 8, 2005
2,318
307
83
Zebee Johnstone said:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 3 Oct 2006 12:14:38 +1000
slaw <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> People have used Busfreight (Greyhound) with success I believe. About
> $80 or $90 and can be door to door most places in Oz.
>


That's how the bent got to me from Canberra. Came in a box, no damage
I could see.

Zebee
Do the freight companies pack it for you? I am selling a bike at the moment but don't have the time to pack it properly (and don't want to take responsibility if something gets damaged in transit).
 
G

Gemma_k

Guest
"Brendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm looking at selling my wifes bike through ebay, to a guy in
> our fine nation's capital. Is there any bike friendly couriers or
> a group that are particularly easy to deal with? I'm in
> Rockingham in WA, but getting to Perth won't be an issue if
> necessary.


If you can drop the bike off (pre boxed) to an Australian Air Express depot,
it's a $85 flat fee airport-airport for bikes. Only take a few days too.
Gemm
 
Z

Zebee Johnstone

Guest
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:30:10 +1000
roshea <[email protected]> wrote:
>> ZebeeDo the freight companies pack it for you? I am selling a bike at the

> moment but don't have the time to pack it properly (and don't want to
> take responsibility if something gets damaged in transit).


Nope. YOu have to turn up with it in a bike box.

I suggest you take it to a bike shop and pay for them to pack it. You
will have to ring around to find one willing to do it.

If you send it by McPhee or a similar largish place they might pack it
for you, but expect to pay rather a lot. If you can't manage it
yourself you will have to pay an hour's labour at a bike shop so
expect to pay $70 or so.

If you aren't willing to pay in time, you have to pay in money.

Zebee
 
D

DeF

Guest
roshea wrote:

> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>
>>In aus.bicycle on Tue, 3 Oct 2006 12:14:38 +1000
>>slaw <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>People have used Busfreight (Greyhound) with success I believe.

>>
>>About
>>
>>>$80 or $90 and can be door to door most places in Oz.
>>>

>>
>>That's how the bent got to me from Canberra. Came in a box, no damage
>>I could see.
>>
>>ZebeeDo the freight companies pack it for you? I am selling a bike at the

>
> moment but don't have the time to pack it properly (and don't want to
> take responsibility if something gets damaged in transit).
>
>


I've not sent a bike but I have had a bike shop (in Perth) pack up
my bike to take on a plane. From my shopping around, the standard
price is $50. I paid $35 at Glen Parkers in Nedlands and they did
a pretty good job including putting protection around all tubes and
a false axle thingy in place of the removed front wheel. "Some
assembly required" at the other end.

My impression is that most shops will do it for you for a fee which
is pretty modest I think.

DeF.


--
e-mail: [email protected] finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
 
B

Brendo

Guest
Thanks all. I used Greyhound freight. $65 from depot in
Welshpool, Perth to depot in Canberra. Good value I reckon.
 

jur

New Member
Feb 2, 2005
244
0
0
Brendo said:
Thanks all. I used Greyhound freight. $65 from depot in
Welshpool, Perth to depot in Canberra. Good value I reckon.
Was it boxed? And what were the box dimensions? $65 IS good. Me wanty...
 
B

Brendo

Guest
jur wrote:
> Brendo Wrote:
>
>>Thanks all. I used Greyhound freight. $65 from depot in
>>Welshpool, Perth to depot in Canberra. Good value I reckon.Was it boxed? And what were the box dimensions? $65 IS good. Me wanty...


I got a box from a local bike shop, pulled the thing apart and
wrapped it with bubble wrap, cable tied it all together so it
didn't move, threw a few other bits
in, and dropped it off at the depot. The guy said it was a flat
rate from Perth to Eastern states, $65. Extra to courier it to a
home address, but not too bad.