Frejus Bike restored

grazianomancini

Oct 22, 2004
What do you think about it?
I Used the bike when i was young from 1970 to 1990, after i left in in the garage, nowadays i restored it in mint and original condition, now i am adding removeable safety accesories and these one will be modern (reflectors mudguards bell and lights)

More info about the bike:

Frejus road race bicycle
frame n° 5830
bought in year 1944
tubi Columbus lightweight special steel
Brakes Ballila - Frejus
hubs capagnolo in aluminium
gear campagnolo "double lever"
4 speed freewheel Caimi
Cranks magistroni
Oiler ports on head tube & bbkt
Scott/Mathauser Old School Brake Pads
All frame rechromed
Campagnolo super record pedals
Campagnolo super record 26,2 seattube
Seat Brooks b17 standard
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antony Mancini (my father) was a young bicycle road racer that challenged Fausto Coppi in many races with this bycicle that was very very fast!!!!
still today be bike runs straight like an arrow!!!
(my father bought the bike at his eighteenth birthday)

grazianomancini said:
What do you think about it?
I Used the bike when i was young from 1970 to 1990, after i left in in the garage, nowadays i restored it in mint and original condition, now i am adding removeable safety accesories and these one will be modern (reflectors mudguards bell and lights)

More info about the bike:

Frejus road race bicycle
frame n° 5830
bought in year 1944
tubi Columbus lightweight special steel
Brakes Ballila - Frejus
hubs capagnolo in aluminium
gear campagnolo "double lever"
4 speed freewheel Caimi
Cranks magistroni
Oiler ports on head tube & bbkt
Scott/Mathauser Old School Brake Pads
All frame rechromed
Campagnolo super record pedals
Campagnolo super record 26,2 seattube
Seat Brooks b17 standard
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antony Mancini (my father) was a young bicycle road racer that challenged Fausto Coppi in many races with this bycicle that was very very fast!!!!
still today be bike runs straight like an arrow!!!
(my father bought the bike at his eighteenth birthday)
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

You have a classic there why ruin it? I was reading a brief history of Campagnolo once and one of his first inventions was the quick release hub. In his days as a racer to change gears you had to take the rear wheel off and manually change the gear. His wrench broke he carried his bike to a shop fixed it and continued on in the race. He was later disqualified for receiving outside help. He then went onto invent the QR hub for the advantage it gave him. This bike has the feature.

Up grading this bike would be like the person I saw on Antiques Road Show that refinished a genuine Paul Revere table. They took a table, (I am sure I will get the amount wrong) that was worth several hundred thousands and made it worth something like 10,000. Leave the bike alone get it appraised.

That's a museum piece there. Respect it for what it is and get another bike to ride.

What's with the handelbars? Those can't be the originals.

nick burns said:
That's a museum piece there. Respect it for what it is and get another bike to ride.

What's with the handelbars? Those can't be the originals.

you are right, the concept is, basic bike is all original,
i will put over only few accessories tha can be snapped away in one minute time for more confortable riding, not permanent ones..
and so i can back in very fast way in the pure bauty of this old masterpiece, it's like ride a pre ww2 car wearing modern sportswear!!!!

I appreciate your advice, i have not yet decided what really to do!!!!