French 19 year old rider positive for 12 substances

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
Traces of the following substances were found in Dougnier's urine sample, according to the Federation: 3'HydroxyStanozolol, 16B-HydroxyStanozolol, 4B-HydroxyStanozolol, 4-Meyhylhexaneamine, Prednisone, Prednisolone, Oxandrolone, Epioxandrolone, Tuaminoheptane, Triamcinolone Acetonide, 6B-HydroxyMethandienone and 17-Epiméthandienone

cyclingnews.com

Holy cow! I have taken prednisone for my Crohns disease in the past, and I will tell you first hand you can FLY on the stuff. I did a climb where I was able to manage 92-96% of my maxHR for almost 7 minutes! Normally I can manage that level of output for less than 2 minutes.

It's sad to me that this very young man was so desperate for success and a resultant contract that he went to these measures. Speaks volumes, IMO, that the notion of 'the ends justify the means' is still very much alive and well. I'm also left to wonder on the level of complicity involved in the procurement of the large number of drugs in his system. And if this is happening in France, with their reputation of having the toughest drug laws, one can only imagine what's going on around the world.

The lad was probably on the verge of something big if he was riding for ACBB which was (I don't know if it still is) one of the best amateur clubs in France.

I don't know which is worse - the guy taking all that stuff or the fact that it took almost 3 months for a provisional suspension and a total of 9 months to reach the point of getting around to banning him. With all that junk in his system should it really take that long.

... and this coming days after French sprinter Gregory Bauge being stripped of his World Title for missing too many dope tests but even that has a hint of ridiculousness as he'll be riding again in a couple of months.

Originally Posted by vspa .

Traces of the following substances were found in Dougnier's urine sample, according to the Federation: 3'HydroxyStanozolol, 16B-HydroxyStanozolol, 4B-HydroxyStanozolol, 4-Meyhylhexaneamine, Prednisone, Prednisolone, Oxandrolone, Epioxandrolone, Tuaminoheptane, Triamcinolone Acetonide, 6B-HydroxyMethandienone and 17-Epiméthandienone

cyclingnews.com

Sounds like Colonel Sanders secret recipe.

danfoz said:
Holy cow! I have taken prednisone for my Crohns disease in the past, and I will tell you first hand you can FLY on the stuff. I did a climb where I was able to manage 92-96% of my maxHR for almost 7 minutes! Normally I can manage that level of output for less than 2 minutes.
that's interesting about predisone. I too have crohns. not taken pred for years. As an anti inflammatory I can see how it would help training. I'm permanently on dihydrocodeine Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

danfoz said:
I'm going to assume your comment is rich with sarcasm. I take 5mg Prednisone every day as part of immunosuppressant therapy, and frankly, whether or not I take a dump before I ride makes a bigger difference. In fact, any impact from Prednisone is unnoticeable.

Originally Posted by vspa .

cyclingnews.com

Crazy stuff.

I don't know what the supposed benefit is for any of those individual drugs. Shocking stuff.

Limerickman - I had to go on cycle of prednisone for a medical condition and the positive effect (besides helping me get well) is loosely described in my previous post. The downside... frequent light headedness/dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, acne, facial swelling, moodswings, joint pain, That's just for one of those drugs. The boost is quite pronounced but why anyone would want to subject themselves to the downside is beyond me. Likely pressure for a good result, the perceived invunerability of youth, an addictive personality, poor judgement, low self esteem, or any combination thereof.

Anybody who believes he got that pharmacy-load of stuff on his own, as well as the knowledge of what to use and how to use it, raise their hands...

Originally Posted by alienator .

I'm going to assume your comment is rich with sarcasm. I take 5mg Prednisone every day as part of immunosuppressant therapy, and frankly, whether or not I take a dump before I ride makes a bigger difference. In fact, any impact from Prednisone is unnoticeable.
No sarcasm. I was on a 3 month cycle of 40mg/day (supposedly a "moderate" dose) after a really bad scare (initially doc thought it was full blown colon cancer) but just turned out to be bad inflamation. I had started training seriously again and was concerned about any ill effects of the drug but my doc who apparently was a very active marathon runner in his day said, and I quote: "Oh no, this will make you fly". He even confessed that he had considered taking a dose the night before the NY Marathon but said he chickened out and decided there really was no benefit to coming in 1000th place insead of 2000th place. I have some HR data from that day in question and will try to dig it up. Edit: can't find the files, hopefully won't be in a position to provide an update anytime soon.

Originally Posted by CBNutrition .

As an anti inflammatory I can see how it would help training.
In one of the "Lance" interviews given by Hamilton or one of the other guys (forget which), the rider stated that certain riders would get baggies of goodies before certain rides. Cortocosteroids, the family of steroids prednisone belongs to, would be given to some riders before TT's. I do not know enough behind the science of how these drugs work to even speculate how these actually alter performance or when they should be taken. I do know they are not in the family of anabolics which would seemingly be of more benefit over a couple months of training, and not a one time dose.

Originally Posted by blazingpedals .

Anybody who believes he got that pharmacy-load of stuff on his own, as well as the knowledge of what to use and how to use it, raise their hands...
When I did some bodybuilding as a teen, I worked out in a old school BB gym in Brooklyn and on a certain day of the week some fella would come in and many of the hardcore dudes would scurry over and they'd all dissappear into the lockers for awhile. We all knew exactly what was transpiring. Without any foresight I imagine getting your hands on some 420 to party with in a foreign country would probably be an easier task than scoring some of this stuff in your own. I wouldn't be surprised if his cycling club, local group or racing clique has some such fella who shows up periodically to dispense his "wares".Pure speculation on my part of course.