French excuses!

thebluetrain

Jul 31, 2004
So everyone but the French are doping? Flyer, what do you think?

[size=-1]French decry malaise
Recriminations are flying as French cycling officials grapple for a reason to explain France's less-than-stellar presentation in the 92nd Tour de France.[/size]

[size=-1]David Moncoutie was the only French rider to win a stage and Christophe Moreau, 11th at 16:26 back, was the only French rider in the top 20, enough to make any Frenchman cry in his pastis.[/size]

[size=-1]In an interview published in L'Equipe, French cycling federation officials are decrying a variety of reasons for France's dismal showing.[/size]

[size=-1]Excuses range from too many foreign riders, a different attitude about training and winning, to the "peloton at two speeds" argument that French cycling is cleaner because of stricter national health controls French riders are subject to.[/size]

[size=-1]In short, French cycling is in a malaise.[/size]

[size=-1]Jean Pitallier, president of the French cycling federation, pointed fingers just about everywhere to lay blame on why French riders aren't performing better in the Tour.[/size]

[size=-1]"I saw French riders on the attack, they just didn't win. That's the problem," Pitallier said in an interview. "I don't want to speak about a peloton at two speeds, but that's what it appears to be."[/size]

[size=-1]Pitallier insisted other nations should adopt France's stricter anti-doping controls, which subject all licensed professionals to quarterly health checks.[/size]

[size=-1]"I demand that other countries apply the same strict measures that we have," he continued. "I'd also like to see the managers of the teams sanctioned. We have to sensitize the directors of the teams and suspend them if necessary. The climate of suspicion that reigns is too disagreeable for cycling, the sport that's beyond a doubt the one with the most tests."[/size]

[size=-1]When asked if French racers perhaps aren't as professional or hard-working as other pros, Pitallier suggested that might be true among the younger generation of pros.[/size]

[size=-1]"One can speak of insufficient training," he said. "Perhaps something can be said about the younger generation. Older riders like Brochard and Rous are experience and know how to train. The younger have a problem with the training."[/size]

Depends on your definition of French cycling :

You're looking at the TDF and attempting to extrapolate a conclusion.
How about track cycling ? The French have dominated track cycling (with the Aussies) for the last decade or so.
Or how about Mountain biking ? If I recall correctly the gold medal winner at Athens was French - and they've had great success in form of cycling too.

limerickman said:
Depends on your definition of French cycling :

You're looking at the TDF and attempting to extrapolate a conclusion.
How about track cycling ? The French have dominated track cycling (with the Aussies) for the last decade or so.
Or how about Mountain biking ? If I recall correctly the gold medal winner at Athens was French - and they've had great success in form of cycling too.
I am not extrapolating a conclusion. Pitallier did that for me.

why do some countries excel and others struggle, in general. we can probably rule out lack of development opportunities in france, i mean its the centre of the cycling world right?

for me this leaves 2 things:
- phsycology. do they want it bad enough?
- genetics. its quite plausible that the french are just suffering a weak gene pool when it comes to breeding elite cyclists. In the same way that the kenyans arent, when it comes to breeding distance runners.

I'm sick of hearing their doping allegations. They pretty much invented doping of cyclists, back when the tour was largely a french domain. And at the height of it all, the 1998 festina affair, was it not a french team captained by a certain french rider that started it all.

we all know the americans in every sport are riddled with drugs

look at their swim team at the moment -breaking world records every time they swim

the french probably felt the need to clean up after 98 cos it is their race and most likeley felt a moral duty plus the tour is much more than a competition to the french ,it is a celebration

We all know the reasons the French riders aren't getting anywhere, I mean besides the Disco boys pushing the chopper buttons.

The French don't spend enough time training because they are busy watchin Jerry Lewis movies, smoking cigarettes, drining cafe, and they are less aerodynamic due to their infrequent showers which leads to a build up of grease on their skin etc...
Their sterotypic excuses dont hold.

Abd by the way, Michael Phelps keeps setting records for the same reason Lance kept getting better after 1998-1999. Training and more hard work. Recall that Phelps is quite young and has a physiology similar to Lance, after his hardest sprint, his blood lactate levels are around 5, whereas most swimmers get to 9-12. Deal with it.

Not many world records have been set, not Phelps, he hasn't set any this year.

thebluetrain said:
Patrick1983 said:
look at their swim team at the moment -breaking world records every time they swim

What about the Austrailians?
Leisel Jones(South african)? and persol set new records

its not just the americans i agree,the australians are most likeley at it too as are most countries
and i apologise if it came across as just the americans

hombredesubaru said:
We all know the reasons the French riders aren't getting anywhere, I mean besides the Disco boys pushing the chopper buttons.

The French don't spend enough time training because they are busy watchin Jerry Lewis movies, smoking cigarettes, drining cafe, and they are less aerodynamic due to their infrequent showers which leads to a build up of grease on their skin etc...

Abd by the way, Michael Phelps keeps setting records for the same reason Lance kept getting better after 1998-1999. Training and more hard work. Recall that Phelps is quite young and has a physiology similar to Lance, after his hardest sprint, his blood lactate levels are around 5, whereas most swimmers get to 9-12. Deal with it.
thats funny is this not the same phelps who was arrested for intoxication in a car

really professional !!!!!

its hilarious that you belive hard work makes you win the tour
we all know its drugs

can you post where you saw this thing about phelps lactate?

hombredesubaru said:

So are you saying DC = American ?
Funny, how there are few AMERICAN cyclists on the DC team !

hombredesubaru said:

Seems you the only one engaging in stereotypes here, Bred.

hombredesubaru said:

That's bollox and you know it.

Patrick1983 said:
thats funny is this not the same phelps who was arrested for intoxication in a car

we all know its drugs

new york times
look it up yourself
it's well known in the sport and those of us who are interested in other endurance sports

limerickman said:
So are you saying DC = American ?
Funny, how there are few AMERICAN cyclists on the DC team !

Seems you the only one engaging in stereotypes here, Bred.

That's bollox and you know it.
you cant even spell bollocks.
obviously not from Ireland...
probably sitting in brooklyn in a tv bar lounge chomping a burger watching a mets game
he he:)
yes, the stereotypes were a joke

Patrick1983 said:

we all know its drugs

OK here are a few of the many references:
NY Times Magazine Aug 4, 2004

http://www.totalimmersion.co.uk/2004-articles/september-uk/greatswimming.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/olympics/bal-sp.swim05apr05,1,6595228.story

http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFitness/0408/olympic_swimming.html

Great athletes come and go. France is in a drought. So is the UK, for that matter. Italy is doing well. But things will shift around. Can't be the Hinault era all the time. And up until last year they had Virenque to bring home polka dots and stages.

At least they one a stage this year. If I remember right, didn't win a single stage in 1999.

hombredesubaru said:

what exactly do these links prove
that you are a gullible fool who believes the "I work harder than all the rest garbage"

phelps was done for DUI,not exactly professional is it

hombredesubaru said:
you cant even spell bollocks.

We pronounce it and spell it as bollox.
Bollocks too.
Or to use the vernacular in my home town - "Bollix".

Either way, you've been talking it - bollox that's is.

hombredesubaru said:
probably sitting in brooklyn in a tv bar lounge chomping a burger watching a mets game

Naw - your nocturnal activity is sitting back stuffin' yer face with burgers, and slagging off people and a sport you know bollox about.

There is doping in athletics but it is a shame that some equate winning with drugs.It is not always a fact.
Hard work is necessary drug or not.If you don't believe that sit at your computer and let the world pass you and rant about doping and things that you can't control.

JH,

I'm sure that there are clean athletes out there who are winning.
Paula Radcliffe (UK) springs to mind.

limerickman said:
JH,

I'm sure that there are clean athletes out there who are winning.
Paula Radcliffe (UK) springs to mind.

I am sure of it also. Although he is of a previous generation I am partial to Jim Thorpe.
A great "Native American" athlete. I am relatively sure he was free of enhancing chemicals.