French Lawyers suggest Death Penalty for Lance

bobke

Oct 3, 2004
Hyperbole?
I think not.

People have commented that I take an uncessesarily harsh view of the French. Here is an offical French lawyer for the team representing the insurance agency that is refusing to pay Lance for his six Tour wins bonus: suggesting that Lance has committed a capital offense, which last time I checked means the death penalty, and it is written in a responsible sports journal let us not forget, so I am sure that Procycling is 100% accurate and trustworthy in their reportage, non?

from procycling

Meanwhile, the French legal representative for SCA Promotions, currently involved in a legal case with Armstrong after withholding a payment of five million dollars based on his Tour successes, said that this new development is likely to change the complexion of that case. Mr Thibault de Montbrial said that if it could be shown that “Armstrong lied when he signed the contract, by omitting to reveal that he was, for example, taking banned products, it could cost him very dear indeed. Because lying, in the United States, is a capital offence.”

http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=1564

Dude, sorry but youre opinion is just not right.........as IF all french people hate americans as If all europeans hate americans.......grow up!

Pffff I just read the articles on velonews what's up with americans who seem to think that we (europe, particular france) are all anti-america....

We are talking about sports.......maybe on a political level we don't agree, but on a sporting level nationalities don't mean anything.....

****ing BS............!!!!

hombredesubaru said:
Hyperbole?
I think not.

People have commented that I take an uncessesarily harsh view of the French. Here is an offical French lawyer for the team representing the insurance agency that is refusing to pay Lance for his six Tour wins bonus: suggesting that Lance has committed a capital offense, which last time I checked means the death penalty, and it is written in a responsible sports journal let us not forget, so I am sure that Procycling is 100% accurate and trustworthy in their reportage, non?

from procycling

Meanwhile, the French legal representative for SCA Promotions, currently involved in a legal case with Armstrong after withholding a payment of five million dollars based on his Tour successes, said that this new development is likely to change the complexion of that case. Mr Thibault de Montbrial said that if it could be shown that “Armstrong lied when he signed the contract, by omitting to reveal that he was, for example, taking banned products, it could cost him very dear indeed. Because lying, in the United States, is a capital offence.”

http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=1564

Let me be more exact. I rode in France this summer and two summers ago and had a great time, no animosity except around Paris. And especially out on the road the drivers were nicer to cyclists.

But the press, the organisation of the Tourm etc are and haven been on a witchunt.

You didnt respond to my main point.
Here is a topgun lawyer who has worked all kinds of cases including back to Festina, and had been proposed as a mediator (Hah!) in Lance's suit against the insurance agency, and now he is out in public calling for a CAPITAL OFFENSE. ie death penalty.

DOnt you think thats uncalled for?
I mean especially since Lance actually did have death threats against him in last years tour?

I thought youre main point was to say that most french and europeans are anti-american....and the proof was a quote from some lawyer......oke youre opinion is getting better;)

Now as far as that lawyer goes that's just stupid......no words.....

hombredesubaru said:
Let me be more exact. I rode in France this summer and two summers ago and had a great time, no animosity except around Paris. And especially out on the road the drivers were nicer to cyclists.

But the press, the organisation of the Tourm etc are and haven been on a witchunt.

Here is a topgun lawyer who has worked all kinds of cases including back to Festina, and had been proposed as a mediator (Hah!) in Lance's suit against the insurance agency, and now he is out in public calling for a CAPITAL OFFENSE. ie death penalty.

I mean especially since Lance actually did have death threats against him in last years tour?

MJtje said:
I thought youre main point was to say that most french and europeans are anti-american....and the proof was a quote from some lawyer......oke youre opinion is getting better;)

Now as far as that lawyer goes that's just stupid......no words.....

OK OK I'll admit it, I love the French, I jsu cant stand to admit it publically.

:)

But JM LeBlanc is a different matter

hombredesubaru said:

Hombre

Whatever your vacation experiences, in this and other posts you come out as having an issue with French people in general - Your post is titled "French Lawyers" rather than "one French Lawyer employed by someone being sued by Armstrong"

Also, whether this is a direct quote, or a translation, he is not actually calling for the death penalty, "capital" is also French for "very important", and there is also the probability that he is being provocative, which is in his clients' interest

hombredesubaru said:
I think you're reading too much into it. From your original post, the exact quotation was, "Because lying, in the United States, is a capital offence.” He wasn't stating his opinion, but rather his interpretation of American law, and never directly said "death penalty". So, either (a) he doesn't understand US law and really thinks we execute people for fraud or (b) something was missed in the translation. I'm guessing b.

artmichalek said:
I think you're reading too much into it. From your original post, the exact quotation was, "Because lying, in the United States, is a capital offence.” He wasn't stating his opinion, but rather his interpretation of American law, and never directly said "death penalty". So, either (a) he doesn't understand US law and really thinks we execute people for fraud or (b) something was missed in the translation. I'm guessing b.

Maybe there was a mistranslation.
I emailed Procycling but havent heard back from them.
I put in French lawyerS because the article implied it was a team representing the insurance agency but in terms of accuracy I should have put lawyer, singular. SO I stand corrected. When I first read the article I was also having trouble with my web browser and dint see the name of the lawyer so my bad.

As to the issue of the French, I dont think I'm alone in pointing out there there seems to be a pattern here with a certain country that runs a bike race and the press in that country and one Mr Armstrong. Its a famous story and one I had nothing to do with.

But as to the lawyer, if he was mistranslated, just goes to show you you cant trust everything you read. But he is a very skilled and crafty lawyer, hired to make this look as bad as possible, and I would put nothing beyond him when it comes to making outrageous statements. I dont know but would assume he speaks English since he was nominated at one time to mediate the pending lawsuit between Armstrong and the insurance agency refusing to pay Lance for the bonus of winning six tours.

Imagine, a judge in Dallas though not, since he had represented one of the authors who wrote LA Confidentiel--recall that one of the authors wrote for L'Equipe, non? L'Equipe is a sister organization of ASO which owns and runs the Tour de France. That organization would be the one possessing the coded urine control sheets, right? So not only does the Tour get into bed with L'Equipe by giving the journalists the coded sheets, but then the lawyers working against Lance's lawsuit v the insrance agency have also represented the journalists whom Lance is suing.

Get the picture?

hombredesubaru said:
As to the issue of the French, I dont think I'm alone in pointing out there there seems to be a pattern here with a certain country that runs a bike race and the press in that country and one Mr Armstrong. Its a famous story and one I had nothing to do with.

Hombre - The French nation doesn't run the Tour, it is run by a French company - the French nation doesn't read l'Equipe on the whole, let alone run it (as you point out the same company owns both) - you undermine your arguments by cultural stereotyping

I've been to Paris and found the people to be like most everywhere else, some good, some rude, some assholes.
Now with that said, I'd like to reword your title and 'give the death penalty to lawyers.' They don't have to be French or Indian or Russia, just lawyers in general.
I know this post has nothing to do with cycling or Armstrong. I just felt it needed to be said.

hombredesubaru said:
This has nothing to do with the French. If Lance had won seven Giros or seven Vueltas, we would be seeing the same thing.

Chance3290 said:
I've been to Paris and found the people to be like most everywhere else, some good, some rude, some assholes.
Now with that said, I'd like to reword your title and 'give the death penalty to lawyers.' They don't have to be French or Indian or Russia, just lawyers in general.
I know this post has nothing to do with cycling or Armstrong. I just felt it needed to be said.

I tired to go back and correct it as you suggest but didnt work.
I'm stuck with what I said.

Well an insurance company has every right to ask LA about doping........especially when they have to pay him a couple of million for each tour victory....!

I never understood why he didn't just give all his medical records......I mean he has nothing to hide right?.....

LittleGreenFrog said:
SCA Promotions = American Compagny (Texas, Dallas) Lance ****ed by Texan friends ? :D

liamo said:
Hombre - The French nation doesn't run the Tour, it is run by a French company - the French nation doesn't read l'Equipe on the whole, let alone run it (as you point out the same company owns both) - you undermine your arguments by cultural stereotyping
Can we get back to the point?
The point is, as stated in Procyling, the the French attorneys taking up the case against Lance in the insurance bonus case--their words not mine--as opposed to the US attorneys defending SCA, staed and Procyclign quotes that Armstrong may have committed a capital offense.

Now my points, which I see are too subtle, I will now spell out.
1. You cannot believe everything you read. No one actually thinks Lance will face a death penalty for anything he has done, assuning the worst.
Procycling is a decent mag, yet they put those words up on their website. The words stand until retracted or clarified. I emailed Procycling.

2. The connection between the lawsuit Armstrong filed against SCA is part of this whole scenario with ASO and L'Equipe. Everyone knows Lance cannot likely be suspended, or whatever even if 100% guilty. If he is, thats not really what they are after. This is about attacking him in a way he cannot defend and in a way that will materially affect the lawsuit he filed against SCA for millions of dollars unpaid.
READ=$$$$$$$

3. The lawyer who uttered these words represents SCA.
He has also represented on of the journalists who wrote the book LA Confidentiel, who Lance is suing.
That journalist also used to work for L'Equipe.
Get it?
The SCA-ASO-L'Equipe connection...

4. The lawyer who uttered these words that "lying is a capital offense" is likely to have known or should have known what he was saying. Maybe it was a Freudian slip? Whatever. It should not have been said and should not have been published without clarification. "M. French-Lawyer, we are publsihing this quote in which you appear to suggest Lance may get the death penalty? Are you OK with that?"

5. This whole story stinks.

mareblu said:
AAaaaaaaa the French.....how jelous and stinky can they get?

Americans, how ignorant can they get . . .

Not that I'm buying into stereotypes or anything :rolleyes:

hombredesubaru said:
Can we get back to the point?
The point is, as stated in Procyling, the the French attorneys taking up the case against Lance in the insurance bonus case--their words not mine--as opposed to the US attorneys defending SCA, staed and Procyclign quotes that Armstrong may have committed a capital offense.

Now my points, which I see are too subtle, I will now spell out.
1. You cannot believe everything you read. No one actually thinks Lance will face a death penalty for anything he has done, assuning the worst.
Procycling is a decent mag, yet they put those words up on their website. The words stand until retracted or clarified. I emailed Procycling.

2. The connection between the lawsuit Armstrong filed against SCA is part of this whole scenario with ASO and L'Equipe. Everyone knows Lance cannot likely be suspended, or whatever even if 100% guilty. If he is, thats not really what they are after. This is about attacking him in a way he cannot defend and in a way that will materially affect the lawsuit he filed against SCA for millions of dollars unpaid.
READ=$$$$$$$

3. The lawyer who uttered these words represents SCA.
He has also represented on of the journalists who wrote the book LA Confidentiel, who Lance is suing.
That journalist also used to work for L'Equipe.
Get it?
The SCA-ASO-L'Equipe connection...

4. The lawyer who uttered these words that "lying is a capital offense" is likely to have known or should have known what he was saying. Maybe it was a Freudian slip? Whatever. It should not have been said and should not have been published without clarification. "M. French-Lawyer, we are publsihing this quote in which you appear to suggest Lance may get the death penalty? Are you OK with that?"

5. This whole story stinks.

Hombre

Get back to the point? I am finding a lot of your points hard to follow because you are mixing reasoned argument with knee-jerk xenophobia and conspiracy theory. My issue is not that Armstrong is right and L'Equipe is wrong or vice versa - it is that you portray this as some kind of US versus France thing, as though Lance and L'Equipe were representative of their countries in this rather than themselves. I would suggest that if you want to discuss the rights and wrongs then you should choose a less provocative title for your posts.

In searching, I can't find anyone else than Procycling carrying the "capital offence" statement and they don't source the quote to a particular press organ or interview)- if you search in French you'll find a lot of M Thibault's recent comments, none of which contain this phrase - the interviews were given to RTL and to l'Equipe, in French.
Regarding these SCA-ASO stuff - why don't you suggest that David Walsh who co-authored the book who works for the Sunday Times who belong to News Corporation who also own Fox which wants to have a pop at Discovery? I mean come on. SCA wants to save money and will look at every possibility to do so - they are an insurance company after all.

I would tend to agree with you over this all stinking, but please leave this nation-bashing out of it - After all did you see Poulidor's comment? He suggested they check everything back to 1903 while they were at it "Pourquoi pas remonter jusqu'en 1903 tant qu'on y est?" - quoted on L'Equipe.fr :)

OK, here's the source on why I pose the situation as the French vs Lance--because HE thinks so:

What's the most objectionable thing about this affair?

"Where to start, where to start...I don't know. It's been a long love-hate relationship between myself and the French and I don't know what would encourage somebody to do something like this or even think about doing something like this.

L'Equipe has changed their position towards cycling, I think, in the last 6-12 months and they've taken a very aggressive, sensational approach. Obviously, this is great business for them.

Armstrong revealed he spoke to Leblanc earlier on Wednesday, saying, "I actually spoke to him for about 30 minutes and he didn't say any of that stuff to me personally."

hombredesubaru said:
OK, here's the source on why I pose the situation as the French vs Lance--because HE thinks so:

What's the most objectionable thing about this affair?

"Where to start, where to start...I don't know. It's been a long love-hate relationship between myself and the French and I don't know what would encourage somebody to do something like this or even think about doing something like this.

L'Equipe has changed their position towards cycling, I think, in the last 6-12 months and they've taken a very aggressive, sensational approach. Obviously, this is great business for them.

Armstrong revealed he spoke to Leblanc earlier on Wednesday, saying, "I actually spoke to him for about 30 minutes and he didn't say any of that stuff to me personally."

Hombre
If Lance equates l'Equipe with France, or even the French media in general with the French, he is misguided, so why would you follow his lead. Bashing France or the US or Texas doesn't help the discussion as to whether Armstrong is being stitched up by L'Equipe or whether L'Equipe is correct - that was my point