French Made Bikes

Geezer

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C2CB88.692C58E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Do bicycles manufactured in France still use French thread sizes or do = they now use English?? Are
the French Mercier bikes good quality? ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C2CB88.692C58E0 Content-Type:
text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1106" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Do bicycles manufactured in France = still use French=20 thread
sizes or do they now use English?? Are the French = Mercier=20 bikes good
quality?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

"Geezer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Do bicycles
manufactured in France still use French thread sizes or do they now use English?? Are the French
Mercier bikes good quality?

Aren't the current Merciers Chinese?? I believe they and the newly reborm Motobecane are both Asian,
therefore ISO.

Are there any commercially successful bicycles made in France today? There used to be a dozen at
least. They also had a decent tubing manufacturer, Durafort in the 70s.

Terry

"Terry Rudd" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Are there any commercially successful bicycles made in France today?

What would you call commercially successful? LOOK are French, though I doubt their global sales are
worrying the likes of Giant.

James Thomson

Hello,

James Thomson a écrit dans son message :

> "Terry Rudd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Are there any commercially successful bicycles made in France today?

> What would you call commercially successful? LOOK are French, though I doubt their global sales
> are worrying the likes of Giant.

Yes ! And Time, Peugeot, Cyfac, Lapierre, Perrin, MBK !

--
Cordialement, Jean Pasquet "On respecte un homme qui se respecte lui-même" (Honoré de Balzac)

"Terry Rudd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Are there any commercially successful bicycles made in France today? There used to be a dozen at
> least. They also had a decent tubing manufacturer, Durafort in the 70s.

I do not know.

Durifort was a seamed/redrawn midprice steel tube series manufactured by Vitus. Their other products
include(d?) Vitus971 , a very nice steel quite similar to Reynolds 531, Vitus172, a steel inbetween
Durifort and their premium Vitus971, and of course the famous Vitus979 bonded aluminum frames. They
also made a nice plain (no integral saddle mount) seatpost when such thngs were saleable.

Here's all the details : http://www.yellowjersey.org/vitus.html

"Jean Pasquet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> James Thomson a écrit dans son message :
>
> > "Terry Rudd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Are there any commercially successful bicycles made in France today?
>
> > What would you call commercially successful? LOOK are French, though I doubt their global sales
> > are worrying the likes of Giant.
>
> Yes ! And Time, Peugeot, Cyfac, Lapierre, Perrin, MBK !

And for French style bikes made in France try Alex Singer or Gilles Berthoud, for French style
bikes made else where try Mariposa of Canada. May not be commercial, but will be worth riding
for 20+ years. I know a Berthoud can carry a days worth of wine, bread and cheeese, I don't
think a LOOK can.

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:16:30 -0600, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Terry Rudd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Are there any commercially successful bicycles made in France today? There used to be a dozen at
>> least. They also had a decent tubing manufacturer, Durafort in the 70s.
>
>I do not know.
>
>Durifort was a seamed/redrawn midprice steel tube series manufactured by Vitus. Their other
>products include(d?) Vitus971 , a very nice steel quite similar to Reynolds 531, Vitus172, a steel
>inbetween Durifort and their premium Vitus971, and of course the famous Vitus979 bonded aluminum
>frames. They also made a nice plain (no integral saddle mount) seatpost when such thngs were
>saleable.
>
>Here's all the details : http://www.yellowjersey.org/vitus.html

While the above claims to provide all the details, here's where you can find even more:

http://www.vitusdirect.com/Vitus2000

BTW, it's been hard to determine lately whether or not Vitus is still in business. Their old web
site (which was pretty extensive) disappeared several years ago and the new one
(http://www.vitus.fr/) is practically content free.

I've had my Vitus 992 for almost ten years and I still think it's one of the most attractive bikes
I've ever seen. The head tube/fork integration is particularly elegant.

"John Everett" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 23:16:30 -0600, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Terry Rudd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Are there any commercially successful bicycles made in France today? There used to be a dozen
> >> at least. They also had a decent tubing manufacturer, Durafort in the 70s.
> >
> >I do not know.
> >
> >Durifort was a seamed/redrawn midprice steel tube series manufactured by Vitus. Their other
> >products include(d?) Vitus971 , a very nice steel
quite
> >similar to Reynolds 531, Vitus172, a steel inbetween Durifort and their premium Vitus971, and of
> >course the famous Vitus979 bonded aluminum frames. They also made a nice plain (no integral
> >saddle mount) seatpost when such thngs were saleable.
> >
> >Here's all the details : http://www.yellowjersey.org/vitus.html
>
> While the above claims to provide all the details, here's where you can find even more:

Vitus GTI, Vitus TXO, Vitus Olympic and Vitus Rocky (ATB/MTB)

Michael

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:33:39 +0100, "Jean Pasquet" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> "Terry Rudd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Are there any commercially successful bicycles made in France today?
>
>> What would you call commercially successful? LOOK are French, though I doubt their global sales
>> are worrying the likes of Giant.
>
>Yes ! And Time, Peugeot, Cyfac, Lapierre, Perrin, MBK !

Ah, MBK... "Motobecane" to us oldsters!

- "Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without an accordion." - Crackers