French offer Armstrong a re-test of his 1999 Tour sample

biker jk

Oct 24, 2005
FRENCH OFFER ARMSTRONG A RE-TEST OF HIS 1999 TOUR SAMPLES

Wednesday 1st October 2008 - By Cycling Weekly

The French Anti-Doping Authority (AFLD) has offered Lance Armstrong a chance to retest his urine samples from the 1999 Tour - which, according to French newspaper L'Equipe allegedly contained traces of EPO.

“Mr. Armstrong is a great champion,” AFLD boss Pierre Bordry told French newspaper L'Equipe on Wednesday, “Everybody can understand how someone like him would want to come back to the Tour again."

"I would like that comeback to be in the best possible conditions, so I would suggest that we do a complete analysis of the six urine samples taken in the 1999 Tour.That would perhaps give him the chance to affirm he never cheated during his brilliant career.”

L'Equipe alleged back in 2005 that the 1999 samples, taken during the first of Armstrong's seven Tours victories, contained traces of EPO. Armstrong has always categorically denied all allegations of doping.

Bordry added that the Paris laboratory which had carried out the testing had confirmed to him that Armstrong's samples had been conserved in the correct conditions, and that if Armstrong wished the new tests would be carried out in the presence of an expert nominated by the Texan.

He even said that if necessary the tests could be carried out in another WADA-accredited laboratory, not the one in Paris which produced the alleged positives.

Following the French offer, the ball is now in Armstrong's court, although there was no immediate reaction from the American and his staff.

I love the way they compliment him knowing full well they are full of EPO !

“Mr. Armstrong is a great champion,” AFLD boss Pierre Bordry told French newspaper L'Equipe on Wednesday, “Everybody can understand how someone like him would want to come back to the Tour again."

"I would like that comeback to be in the best possible conditions, so I would suggest that we do a complete analysis of the six urine samples taken in the 1999 Tour.That would perhaps give him the chance to affirm he never cheated during his brilliant career.”

biker jk said:
FRENCH OFFER ARMSTRONG A RE-TEST OF HIS 1999 TOUR SAMPLES

Wednesday 1st October 2008 - By Cycling Weekly
Bordry added that the Paris laboratory which had carried out the testing had confirmed to him that Armstrong's samples had been conserved in the correct WADA-accredited laboratory, not the one in Paris which produced the alleged positives.

Following the French offer, the ball is now in Armstrong's court, although there was no immediate reaction from the American and his staff.

whiteboytrash said:
I love the way they compliment him knowing full well they are full of EPO !

This is one of the best things I've heard in "the fight against doping".

If Armstrong is so certain then he should take them up on the offer - I like the fact that they've offered a range of labs to test - that eliminates the "franch hate me" argument.

Methinks Armstrong will decline - very little to gain and too much to loose.

An interesting game of chess either way...

So what will his excuses be? The samples weren't securely stored - except they were. There's no B sample - true but this testing isn't aimed at resulting in a sporting sanction, it's so he can clear his name. Problem is we all know they wouldn't clear his name.

That is the end to a comeback from Lance on TDF!

The principal reasons are:
- not welcome because he is the doping man
- his hate of French
- and political reason to not see the Livestrong in France where already we have our own "League against cancer"!

His only chance would be to accept a retesting of his 99 sample, and not positive of course. I will never bet on this a single peanut!

Musette and House can go home. It's finish.

poulidor said:

You really think so Poulidor? Would ASO take this stance or is this just you being optimistic? I hope you're right.

I would not count him out just yet. I am sure he has considered all these possibilities before making his announcement to comeback.
He is many things but not stupid and the sport is far from clean.

poulidor said:

The principal reasons are:
- not welcome because he is the doping man
- his hate of French
- and political reason to not see the Livestrong in France where already we have our own "League against cancer"!

His only chance would be to accept a retesting of his 99 sample, and not positive of course. I will never bet on this a single peanut!

Musette and House can go home. It's finish.
Yeah this one was always going to come back. However it has nothing to do with ASO I get the feeling the UCI don't really want him to come back becauee of what Lim mentioned sometime ago..... ie the UCI and LA both made a lot of cash out of the Armstrong story but now its time to move on and also Armstrong gained a lot more than they did...... If the UCI say no problem then Armstrong is stuffed... my understanding it that they own the samples not Armstrong.....

i am going to bet he takes the mark mcgwire approach and ducks the issues with an "i'm not here to talk about the past" statement. it would fit in with his past performances when he would not give simple and definitive "yes" or "no" responses to the doping allegations

No_Positives said:
That's why the French are the French.
Yeah, they should do what Americans do and just ignore all that EPO in Lance's ****.

Rolfrae said:
You really think so Poulidor? Would ASO take this stance or is this just you being optimistic? I hope you're right.
ASO or Prudhomme could not directly say NO, it's too political with Clinton and so. And of course, no French forget what has done and said LA, even our national representants.
So "they" have sent yesterday Leblanc who stated clearly that LA has better to stay at home.
Now AFLD is pushing an other pion.

No_Positives said:
Lame. That's why the French are the French.
Sorry, but what is lame. If he is squeaky clean why doesn't he accept to take his deep frozen pee samples out of the freezer and have them tested in an approved lab of his choosing in another country?

Then all of us Lance doubters/haters would have to admit we have been put in a check mate position.

I am very curious of what the response will be. Someone pass the popcorn...

Powerful Pete said:
Sorry, but what is lame. If he is squeaky clean why doesn't he accept to take his deep frozen pee samples out of the freezer and have them tested in an approved lab of his choosing in another country?

Then all of us Lance doubters/haters would have to admit we have been put in a check mate position.

I am very curious of what the response will be. Someone pass the popcorn...

LA's response? he already used it with Lemond... "time to move on"

what a load of BS

Well obviously he can't let them test the samples because they show a positive. So the question really is how is he gonna avoid this. What will his excuse be?