French Silk Chocolate Pie Rules

Anne Bourget

Guest
Someone asked for a recipe for French Silk Pie. This pie is
ubiquitous but seldom the real thing. It has gone the way of
Key Lime Pie I fear. I made this pie often as a youngster in
the late 1950s. The recipe was from one of my mother's
Pillsbury Bake-Off annual pamphlets. I do not have the
pamphlet, however, I have a copy of Pillsbury's Best 1000
Recipes (Barb Schaller also has a copy of this wonderful
book.) The book is a consolidation of the annual booklets
from 1949-1959.

French Silk Chocolate Pie was a Best of Class Winner by Mrs.
K. E. Cooper of Silver Springs, Maryland. I do not know in
what year she won. But here is the recipe:

"A magnificent chocolate pie--rich, creamy smooth and
luscious, and you don't cook the filling."

Bake at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes Makes 8-inch pie

Prepare recipe for One-Crust Pastry, using 8-inch pie pan;
bake as directed

Cream 1.2 cup butter or margarine [editoral comment
here...this was the 1950s. Do not use margarine if you make
this pie. It must be real butter] Gradually add 3/4 cup
sugar, creaming well

Blend in 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, melted and
thoroughly cooled, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add 2 eggs, one at a time; beat 5 minutes after each. (With
mixer use medium speed.)

Turn into pie shell. Chill 2 hours. Top with whipped cream
and walnuts if desired.

The photograph in the book shows the pie with a rim of
whipped cream and whole walnuts placed about 3 inches apart
so that each piece of cut pie gets one walnut.

It is important to make your own pastry dough. Do not buy a
ready made shell unless you are absolutely afraid to tackle
pie dough...and I know that there are many who are terrified
of the thought of such an undertaking.

I will also confess to altering the recipe over the years. I
add a third square (oz.) of chocolate because I prefer a
more chocolate pie. I also add mint extract to the filling
when I add the vanilla. I frost the entire top of the pie
with whipped cream and decorate the top with chocolate
curls. And I happily skip the walnuts.

Now I wonder if Mrs. Cooper is still alive and if she
realizes that her recipe has become such a famous American
dessert standard?

I got a little confused by the 1.2 cups of butter, so looked
for the recipe at pillsbury. (maybe my newsreader changed
the font or something)

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipesearch/showRecipe.asp?re-
cipeID=469

It looks like it won 1000$ prize in 1951 and has a rating of
almost 5 stars!

This newsgroup is so much fun! This is definatly a "maker"
right after Martha's chocolate and ginger cookies.

take care Liz

Hey! Look what [email protected] (Anne Bourget) wrote :

>Someone asked for a recipe for French Silk Pie. This pie is
>ubiquitous but seldom the real thing. It has gone the way
>of Key Lime Pie I fear. I made this pie often as a
>youngster in the late 1950s. The recipe was from one of my
>mother's Pillsbury Bake-Off annual pamphlets. I do not have
>the pamphlet, however, I have a copy of Pillsbury's Best
>1000 Recipes (Barb Schaller also has a copy of this
>wonderful book.) The book is a consolidation of the annual
>booklets from 1949-1959.

After reading the post I downloaded the recipe & bought all
the ingredients per the instructions.

Problem: Unfortunately it appears to have a granular look
(it does not taste granular). I am positive I whipped it
long enough (it really looked good until I added the last 2
oz. of egg). Any idea as to why I got the granular look? I
will make it again, but would like to avoid whatever the
problem was. Cordially ypauls

news:[email protected]...

On 2004-03-17, ypauls <[email protected]> wrote:

> Unfortunately it appears to have a granular look (it does
> not taste granular). I am positive I whipped it long
> enough (it really looked good until I added the last 2 oz.
> of egg).

You may have added the eggs while the chocolate was still
too warm and the eggs broke (scrambled). This would explain
the grainy look without the grainy feel. OTOH, it may have
been the pasturized egg/fake egg product thing. Try it with
a couple real eggs.

nb