French Silk Pie

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Zxcvbob, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What do you think? I
    haven't tried it yet, but probably will if not too many people think it's a
    disaster:

    Bob's French Silk Pie

    1 pound unsalted butter, softened 1 cup sugar
    1 (12oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips 4 eggs
    2/2 tsp vanilla generous pinch of salt whipped cream

    Melt chocolate chips and 1/4 pound of butter in metal mixing
    bowl by setting the bowl in simmering water. Allow to cool
    to just above room temperature. Add remaining butter and
    sugar; beat at high speed for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a
    time, beating for 5 minutes after each addition. (add salt
    and vanilla with the last egg.) Pour into baked pie shell
    and refrigerate until firm. Top with whipped cream. Store in
    refrigerator, but best served not too cold.

    Note: I think using salted butter and leaving out the pinch
    of salt would be too salty. Maybe use half salted
    butter and half unsalted? Or half unsalted butter and
    half corn oil margarine?

    Best regards, Bob

    Tags:

  2. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What do
    > you think? I haven't tried it yet, but probably will if
    > not too many people think it's a disaster:
    >
    > Bob's French Silk Pie
    >
    > 1 pound unsalted butter, softened 1 cup sugar
    > 1 (12oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips 4 eggs
    > 1/2 tsp vanilla generous pinch of salt whipped cream
    >
    > Melt chocolate chips and 1/4 pound of butter in metal
    > mixing bowl by setting the bowl in simmering water. Allow
    > to cool to just above room temperature. Add remaining
    > butter and sugar; beat at high speed for 5 minutes. Add
    > eggs, one at a time, beating for 5 minutes after each
    > addition. (add salt and vanilla with the last egg.) Pour
    > into baked pie shell and refrigerate until firm. Top with
    > whipped cream. Store in refrigerator, but best served not
    > too cold.
    >
    > Note: I think using salted butter and leaving out the
    > pinch of salt would be too salty. Maybe use half
    > salted butter and half unsalted? Or half unsalted
    > butter and half corn oil margarine?
    >
    > Best regards, Bob

    I wouldn't substitute margarine for the butter. The flavor
    would most definitely suffer. In baking you almost always
    use unsalted butter and add salt (if required) separately.

    I made a similar dessert last weekend for 300 people (no,
    that's not a typo!) except mine was baked in a terrine.

    8 oz. semisweet good-quality chocolate, chopped
    3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks or 6 ounces) butter
    4/4 cup strong coffee
    5/4 cup sugar 4 eggs, beaten 2 Tbsp Kahlua (optional, but
    increase coffee to 1/2 cup if you don't use
    it)

    In a double boiler over barely simmering water, melt
    chocolate and butter. Add the coffee, Kahlua (if using) and
    sugar and continue to whisk to dissolve the sugar. Continue
    cooking until temperature reaches 120F. Remove from heat and
    whisk in the eggs. Pour into foil-lined terrine (or regular
    loaf pan if you don't have a terrine) and bake in a water
    bath for 40 minutes at 350F. It should be set when you
    remove from the oven. Chill overnight, then turn out onto
    serving dish.

    I made a raspberry coulis to serve with it, as well as fresh
    whipped cream. It was wonderful - I got many, many
    compliments on it.

    Your recipe sounds pretty good and I think I'll give it a
    try, if only because it doesn't require any baking. It's
    always nice to have a new way to experiment with chocolate!
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, zxcvbob
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What do
    > you think? I haven't tried it yet, but probably will if
    > not too many people think it's a disaster:
    >
    > Bob's French Silk Pie
    >
    > 1 pound unsalted butter, softened 1 cup sugar
    > 1 (12oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips 4 eggs
    > 1/2 tsp vanilla generous pinch of salt whipped cream
    (details snipped)
    > Best regards, Bob

    Holey moley! Who you tryin' to kill?
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

  4. In article <[email protected]>, zxcvbob
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What do
    > you think? I haven't tried it yet, but probably will if
    > not too many people think it's a disaster:
    >
    > Bob's French Silk Pie
    >
    > 1 pound unsalted butter, softened 1 cup sugar
    > 1 (12oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips 4 eggs
    > 1/2 tsp vanilla generous pinch of salt whipped cream
    (details snipped)
    > Best regards, Bob

    Holey moley! Who you tryin' to kill?
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  5. Nancy Dooley

    Nancy Dooley Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What do
    > you think? I haven't tried it yet, but probably will if
    > not too many people think it's a disaster:
    >
    > Bob's French Silk Pie
    >
    > 1 pound unsalted butter, softened 1 cup sugar
    > 1 (12oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips 4 eggs
    > 1/2 tsp vanilla generous pinch of salt whipped cream
    >
    > Bob

    Whoa, about twice as much butter as there should be - you
    have "1 pound" - most recipes call for less than 2 cups, I
    think, with 1 cup being "standard."

    Also, most recipes call for 2-3 OUNCES of chocolate - NOT 12
    oz. I usually use 4, just because we like it chocolate-y.

    Otherwise, it looks fine.

    N.

  6. Nancy Dooley

    Nancy Dooley Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What do
    > you think? I haven't tried it yet, but probably will if
    > not too many people think it's a disaster:
    >
    > Bob's French Silk Pie
    >
    > 1 pound unsalted butter, softened 1 cup sugar
    > 1 (12oz) bag semisweet chocolate chips 4 eggs
    > 1/2 tsp vanilla generous pinch of salt whipped cream
    >
    > Bob

    Whoa, about twice as much butter as there should be - you
    have "1 pound" - most recipes call for less than 2 cups, I
    think, with 1 cup being "standard."

    Also, most recipes call for 2-3 OUNCES of chocolate - NOT 12
    oz. I usually use 4, just because we like it chocolate-y.

    Otherwise, it looks fine.

    N.

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Donna
    Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I wouldn't substitute margarine for the butter. The flavor
    > would most definitely suffer. In baking you almost always
    > use unsalted butter and add salt (if required) separately.
    >
    > I made a similar dessert last weekend for 300 people (no,
    > that's not a typo!) except mine was baked in a terrine.

    Was the terrine the size of a casket? Yowsers!
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  8. In article <[email protected]>, Donna
    Rose <[email protected]CKix.netcom.com> wrote:
    > I wouldn't substitute margarine for the butter. The flavor
    > would most definitely suffer. In baking you almost always
    > use unsalted butter and add salt (if required) separately.
    >
    > I made a similar dessert last weekend for 300 people (no,
    > that's not a typo!) except mine was baked in a terrine.

    Was the terrine the size of a casket? Yowsers!
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  9. Lynn Gifford

    Lynn Gifford Guest

    Charlie's Chocolate Pie It took me fifteen years to get
    this recipe. It was originally called "Pierette Pie". For
    years, they served it every Thursday at Charlie's
    Restaurant in Minot, North Dakota. Everybody in Minot
    called it "Thursday Pie".

    1 pie shell (unbaked)
    1/2 cup slivered almonds 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    2/2 cup (one stick) softened butter
    3/4 cup white sugar 2 eggs (if you worry about salmonella,
    use egg substitute.) 1 package vanilla instant pudding 1
    1/2 cups whole milk
    4/2 teaspoon almond extract. 2 cups sweetened whipped cream

    Heat oven to 400°. With fork, prick sides and bottom of
    piecrust. Sprinkle almonds all over the bottom of the crust
    Bake until crust is golden and almonds are toasted (about
    ten minutes but check after five!). Remove from oven and
    allow to cool.

    Unwrap chocolate and place in small bowl. Microwave on
    MEDIUM for two minutes. Poke at the chocolate to see if it's
    melted. (It won't LOOK melted.) If it's NOT melted, add 30
    seconds at a time until it is. Set aside

    In large mixing bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy. Add
    sugar a tablespoon or two at a time. Beating thoroughly
    after each addition. (Don't rush this! You are dissolving
    the sugar in the butter.) Beat the melted chocolate into the
    butter/sugar stuff. Make sure the chocolate is not too hot,
    otherwise it will melt the butter! Add eggs one at a time
    beating thoroughly in between.

    (Take about a tablespoon or two of nuts out of the cooled
    pie shell and reserve. Spread chocolate stuff evenly into
    pie shell Refrigerate. In a clean bowl, with wire whisk,
    blend pudding mix, milk and almond extract. Whisk until
    smooth and thick. Spread over chocolate mixture. Refrigerate
    for several hours. Before serving, spread pie with sweetened
    whipped cream, sprinkle with reserved almonds.

    Lynn from Fargo

  10. Lynn Gifford

[...]

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What do
    > > you think? I haven't tried it yet

    Try this one. It's from the LA Times, years ago, and
    is fabulous:

    French Silk Pie

    1/2 cup butter
    2/4 cup sugar 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted 1 tsp.
    vanilla 2 eggs 1 9 inch choc.crumb crust (use Nabisco
    chocolate wafers or Peppridge Farm chocolate fish and make
    like a vanilla wafer crust)

    In small bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light
    and fluffy. Add melted chocolate and vanilla. Beat until
    smooth. Add 1 egg and beat 5 minutes. Add remaining egg and
    beat 5 more minutes. Pour mixture into crust (crust must be
    cool) and chill until set, about 3 hours. Spread with
    whipped cream if desired.

    Note: I wouldn't attempt this without a good stand mixer.
    The "silk" in the name refers to the texture,
    provided the filling is beaten until the sugar is
    *completely* dissolved. It takes a long time to cream
    the butter and sugar properly, and 5 minutes after
    each egg is a minimum.

    We use a straight-sided 9 inch cake pan and usually make at
    least 1-1/2 recipes of filling. In doing this the mixer is
    running almost continually for 30-40 minutes. I'm not sure
    it's possible to overbeat it, but I know that if it's not
    beaten long enough, it's grainy.

    Isaac

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What do
    > > you think? I haven't tried it yet

    Try this one. It's from the LA Times, years ago, and
    is fabulous:

    French Silk Pie

    1/2 cup butter
    2/4 cup sugar 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted 1 tsp.
    vanilla 2 eggs 1 9 inch choc.crumb crust (use Nabisco
    chocolate wafers or Peppridge Farm chocolate fish and make
    like a vanilla wafer crust)

    In small bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light
    and fluffy. Add melted chocolate and vanilla. Beat until
    smooth. Add 1 egg and beat 5 minutes. Add remaining egg and
    beat 5 more minutes. Pour mixture into crust (crust must be
    cool) and chill until set, about 3 hours. Spread with
    whipped cream if desired.

    Note: I wouldn't attempt this without a good stand mixer.
    The "silk" in the name refers to the texture,
    provided the filling is beaten until the sugar is
    *completely* dissolved. It takes a long time to cream
    the butter and sugar properly, and 5 minutes after
    each egg is a minimum.

    We use a straight-sided 9 inch cake pan and usually make at
    least 1-1/2 recipes of filling. In doing this the mixer is
    running almost continually for 30-40 minutes. I'm not sure
    it's possible to overbeat it, but I know that if it's not
    beaten long enough, it's grainy.

    Isaac

  13. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Thanks, Lynn! This looks a lot less greasy than the
    one I posted.

    Best regards, Bob

    Lynn Gifford wrote:
    > Charlie's Chocolate Pie It took me fifteen years to get
    > this recipe. It was originally called "Pierette Pie". For
    > years, they served it every Thursday at Charlie's
    > Restaurant in Minot, North Dakota. Everybody in Minot
    > called it "Thursday Pie".
    >
    > 1 pie shell (unbaked)
    > 1/2 cup slivered almonds 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    > 1/2 cup (one stick) softened butter
    > 3/4 cup white sugar 2 eggs (if you worry about salmonella,
    > use egg substitute.) 1 package vanilla instant pudding 1
    > 1/2 cups whole milk
    > 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. 2 cups sweetened
    > whipped cream
    >
    > Heat oven to 400°. With fork, prick sides and bottom of
    > piecrust. Sprinkle almonds all over the bottom of the
    > crust Bake until crust is golden and almonds are toasted
    > (about ten minutes but check after five!). Remove from
    > oven and allow to cool.
    >
    > Unwrap chocolate and place in small bowl. Microwave on
    > MEDIUM for two minutes. Poke at the chocolate to see if
    > it's melted. (It won't LOOK melted.) If it's NOT melted,
    > add 30 seconds at a time until it is. Set aside
    >
    > In large mixing bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy.
    > Add sugar a tablespoon or two at a time. Beating
    > thoroughly after each addition. (Don't rush this! You are
    > dissolving the sugar in the butter.) Beat the melted
    > chocolate into the butter/sugar stuff. Make sure the
    > chocolate is not too hot, otherwise it will melt the
    > butter! Add eggs one at a time beating thoroughly in
    > between.
    >
    > (Take about a tablespoon or two of nuts out of the cooled
    > pie shell and reserve. Spread chocolate stuff evenly into
    > pie shell Refrigerate. In a clean bowl, with wire whisk,
    > blend pudding mix, milk and almond extract. Whisk until
    > smooth and thick. Spread over chocolate mixture.
    > Refrigerate for several hours. Before serving, spread pie
    > with sweetened whipped cream, sprinkle with reserved
    > almonds.
    >
    > Lynn from Fargo

  14. Zxcvbob

    Lynn Gifford wrote:
    > Charlie's Chocolate Pie It took me fifteen years to get
    > this recipe. It was originally called "Pierette Pie". For
    > years, they served it every Thursday at Charlie's
    > Restaurant in Minot, North Dakota. Everybody in Minot
    > called it "Thursday Pie".
    >
    > 1 pie shell (unbaked)
    > 1/2 cup slivered almonds 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    > 1/2 cup (one stick) softened butter
    > 3/4 cup white sugar 2 eggs (if you worry about salmonella,
    > use egg substitute.) 1 package vanilla instant pudding 1
    > 1/2 cups whole milk
    > 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. 2 cups sweetened
    > whipped cream
    >
    > Heat oven to 400°. With fork, prick sides and bottom of
    > piecrust. Sprinkle almonds all over the bottom of the
    > crust Bake until crust is golden and almonds are toasted
    > (about ten minutes but check after five!). Remove from
    > oven and allow to cool.
    >
    > Unwrap chocolate and place in small bowl. Microwave on
    > MEDIUM for two minutes. Poke at the chocolate to see if
    > it's melted. (It won't LOOK melted.) If it's NOT melted,
    > add 30 seconds at a time until it is. Set aside
    >
    > In large mixing bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy.
    > Add sugar a tablespoon or two at a time. Beating
    > thoroughly after each addition. (Don't rush this! You are
    > dissolving the sugar in the butter.) Beat the melted
    > chocolate into the butter/sugar stuff. Make sure the
    > chocolate is not too hot, otherwise it will melt the
    > butter! Add eggs one at a time beating thoroughly in
    > between.
    >
    > (Take about a tablespoon or two of nuts out of the cooled
    > pie shell and reserve. Spread chocolate stuff evenly into
    > pie shell Refrigerate. In a clean bowl, with wire whisk,
    > blend pudding mix, milk and almond extract. Whisk until
    > smooth and thick. Spread over chocolate mixture.
    > Refrigerate for several hours. Before serving, spread pie
    > with sweetened whipped cream, sprinkle with reserved
    > almonds.
    >
    > Lynn from Fargo

  15. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <barbschaller-
    [email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > Donna Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I wouldn't substitute margarine for the butter. The
    > > flavor would most definitely suffer. In baking you
    > > almost always use unsalted butter and add salt (if
    > > required) separately.
    > >
    > > I made a similar dessert last weekend for 300 people
    > > (no, that's not a typo!) except mine was baked in a
    > > terrine.
    >
    > Was the terrine the size of a casket? Yowsers!

    LOL no! I made 32 of them. (figure 10 slices per)
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  16. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <barbschaller-
    [email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > Donna Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I wouldn't substitute margarine for the butter. The
    > > flavor would most definitely suffer. In baking you
    > > almost always use unsalted butter and add salt (if
    > > required) separately.
    > >
    > > I made a similar dessert last weekend for 300 people
    > > (no, that's not a typo!) except mine was baked in a
    > > terrine.
    >
    > Was the terrine the size of a casket? Yowsers!

    LOL no! I made 32 of them. (figure 10 slices per)
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  17. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    <recipe snipped and saved>

    > 2 eggs (if you worry about salmonella, use egg
    > substitute.)

    You can also buy pasteurized eggs these days, although I've
    had very good luck with using the egg substitute in baking.

    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  18. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    <recipe snipped and saved>

    > 2 eggs (if you worry about salmonella, use egg
    > substitute.)

    You can also buy pasteurized eggs these days, although I've
    had very good luck with using the egg substitute in baking.

    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  19. Isaac Wingfield <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <barbschaller-
    > [email protected]>, Melba's
    > Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Here's my idea for a chocolate silk pie filling. What
    >> > do you think? I haven't tried it yet
    >
    > Try this one. It's from the LA Times, years ago, and is
    > fabulous:
    >
    > French Silk Pie
    >
    > 1/2 cup butter
    > 3/4 cup sugar 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted 1 tsp.
    > vanilla 2 eggs 1 9 inch choc.crumb crust (use Nabisco
    > chocolate wafers or Peppridge Farm chocolate fish and
    > make like a vanilla wafer crust)
    >
    > In small bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light
    > and fluffy. Add melted chocolate and vanilla. Beat until
    > smooth. Add 1 egg and beat 5 minutes. Add remaining egg
    > and beat 5 more minutes. Pour mixture into crust (crust
    > must be cool) and chill until set, about 3 hours. Spread
    > with whipped cream if desired.
    >
    > Note: I wouldn't attempt this without a good stand mixer.
    > The "silk" in the name refers to the texture,
    > provided the filling is beaten until the sugar is
    > *completely* dissolved. It takes a long time to
    > cream the butter and sugar properly, and 5 minutes
    > after each egg is a minimum.
    >
    > We use a straight-sided 9 inch cake pan and usually make
    > at least 1-1/2 recipes of filling. In doing this the mixer
    > is running almost continually for 30-40 minutes. I'm not
    > sure it's possible to overbeat it, but I know that if it's
    > not beaten long enough, it's grainy.
    >
    > Isaac

    As a friend of mine said, who gave me a similar recipe year
    ago, "Ya gotta beat the hell out of it!"

    Wayne

  20. Isaac Wingfield <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]: