French tires?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pete Russell, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Russell

    Pete Russell Guest

    I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    believe Michelin are made in france are any others?
     
    Tags:


  2. >From: "Pete Russell"

    >I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    >believe Michelin are made in france are any others?

    For chrissake, here we go again. George F. Johnson A veteran for peace
     
  3. In article <[email protected]>, Pete Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    >believe Michelin are made in france are any others?

    It is the law (in the US) that country of origin be stamped on the goods. Check label when handing
    over the cash.

    Maybe you get warm fuzzy from China instead? Enjoy.

    --Paul
     
  4. Pete Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    > believe Michelin are made in france are any others?

    Michelin tyres notice the correct spelling are indeed made in france but I don't know about others
    however I don't understand why you'd like to use chinese or german tyres instead when are you going
    to ship the statue of liberty back to france?

    -as
     
  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Antti Salonen <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > when are you going to ship the statue of liberty back to france?

    That would certainly settle the issue of whether it the statue is in New York or New Jersey.
     
  6. Pete Russell

    Pete Russell Guest

    Well if you are a veteran for peace I would think you would be upset with a country that sells
    equipment including nuclear supplies and gives moral support to someone we are at war with.

    Pete an anti war pro USA citizen

    PS.I said nothing in my origonal post about the war maby I want to stay away form french products
    just because they are rude self centered people in general.

    "George F. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: "Pete Russell"
    >
    > >I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    > >believe Michelin are made in france are any
    others?
    >
    > For chrissake, here we go again. George F. Johnson A veteran for peace
     
  7. Lance

    Lance Guest

    "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > Well if you are a veteran for peace I would think you would be upset with a country that sells
    > equipment including nuclear supplies and gives moral support to someone we are at war with.

    Is Lance Armstrong a traitor? He said he would race in the Tour de France, war or no war. Should
    Bush let him back in the US if he wins the Tour?
     
  8. Alexey Merz

    Alexey Merz Guest

    "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    > believe Michelin are made in france are any others?

    Try Continentals, from Germany, or Panaracers, from Japan. By the way, proper nouns are capitalized
    (e.g., "Hitler"; "Mao"; "Stalin"; "Limbaugh") and the plural form of set is sets, you
    knuckle-dragging droolie.
     
  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Nice twist. I can respect that.

    Mike - Of course I just ordered two Mavic rims today.

    "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well if you are a veteran for peace I would think you would be upset with
    a
    > country that sells equipment including nuclear supplies and gives moral support to someone we are
    > at war with.
    >
    > Pete an anti war pro USA citizen
    >
    > PS.I said nothing in my origonal post about the war maby I want to stay away form french products
    > just because they are rude self centered people in general.
    >
    >
    > "George F. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >From: "Pete Russell"
    > >
    > > >I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay
    away
    > > >from any french brands I believe Michelin are made in france are any
    > others?
    > >
    > > For chrissake, here we go again. George F. Johnson A veteran for peace
     
  10. G Huang

    G Huang Guest

    Alexey Merz wrote:
    > "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    >>believe Michelin are made in france are any others?
    >
    >
    > Try Continentals, from Germany, or Panaracers, from Japan. By the way, proper nouns are
    > capitalized (e.g., "Hitler"; "Mao"; "Stalin"; "Limbaugh") and the plural form of set is sets, you
    > knuckle-dragging droolie.

    The problem is that neither Germany nor Japan produce oil. The tires are made mostly from petroleum
    products that are most likely originated from Saudi or Russia or even Iraq under Saddam's rule, and
    the rubber from Malaysia, which is also sympathetic to the Iraqi regime. Even if the petroleum is
    from the North Sea, the electricity used to run the production line may still be generated from the
    oil from those questionable countries. Tough decisions indeed.
     
  11. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Just buy the Michelins and call them Freedom Tires.

    Or stick to tires made by the Coalition of the Willing.

    Choose from the fine products produced by Eritrea, Uganda , Estonia, Iceland, Uzbekistan,
    Afghanistan, Solomon Islands, Ethiopia, Micronesia, Palau, Mongolia, Honduras...

    "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    > believe Michelin are made in france are any
    others?
     
  12. In response to:

    >>I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    >>believe Michelin are made in france are any others?

    Antti Salonen wrote:

    >Michelin tyres notice the correct spelling are indeed made in france but I don't know about others
    >however I don't understand why you'd like to use chinese or german tyres instead when are you going
    >to ship the statue of liberty back to france? [snip]

    Spelling flames are generally the lowest form of newsgroup posting, though they are sometimes
    amusing, when, as in this case, the flame itself contains errors.

    However, beyond the question of correct capitalization of proper nouns, Salonen's posting appears to
    refer to the spelling of "tire" vs. "tyre."

    Educated English speakers are aware that there are different spelling conventions and word usages in
    different English speaking countries.

    A narrow-minded minority, however, seem to believe that the convention used where they live is the
    only "correct" one and that people from other countries, following the established rules they were
    taught in school, are somehow "incorrect."

    This attitude is bigoted and chauvinistic, and right-thinking people of all nationalities find it
    offensive.

    Sheldon "Touchy On This Point" Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts
    +-----------------------------------------------------+
    | He is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs | of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.
    | | --George Bernard Shaw |
    +-----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
     
  13. Eric Holeman

    Eric Holeman Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Alexey Merz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Try Continentals, from Germany, or Panaracers, from Japan. By the way,

    The heck with those--I'm still sore over WWII. Nothing but Dunlops for my bike!!!

    --
    ---
    Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
     
  14. J.Ouellet

    J.Ouellet Guest

    Again :-( ..... a "patriot" targeting France ?!?

    Better leave politics to politicians...and talk Cycling!

    Following Pete Russell's "logic", should every one or nations respectfull of United Nations and
    international law boycott or ban american or british made products ??? Dont forget that France's
    position and opposition to the present invasion war of Irak, is also shared by Germany, Russia,
    China, Canada, and most nations of the World ! France is not alone, oh no!

    Dear Pete, may be you should buy only "american made" products...because most nations do not support
    the war against Irak... By the way, would you also like those opposed to the present war to ban or
    boycott american made products worldwide ????

    All my life, I've been pro-american, I like America...but...I do believe that this war is a great
    mistake. It will fuels new terrorists actions against the free world, from Middle East and from Asia
    and... :-(

    Very very sad war for the World and for our future....

    You dont want to ride with French tires Pete ?!? It's up to you. Go ahead if its your way to heal
    your political frustration ... us, real cyclists will ride and enjoy best products, whether there
    are from France, Irak or Mars....because cycling makes a better life.

    Again, leave politics to politicians....and enjoy peacefull cycling

    J.Ouellet Quebec,Canada

    "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news:
    [email protected]
    > I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands I
    > believe Michelin are made in france are any
    others?
     
  15. wel sed Shelson. U are kwite rite!

    But seriously you are. We hear this nonsense about correct pronounciation of English. Correct says
    who? "Received" pronounciation in England is dying out. What will be correct then? The answer is
    that there is nothing correct, but there are standard pronounciations and standard grammars.

    e.g. In Cork working class English you hear

    I does you do he do we do ye do they do.

    Now you say. That's wrong. You are wrong. It's dialect and such is found in many English cities.
    English tends to be intolerant of dialects, but that's English's loss. In the Irish language, which
    incidentally is the oldest written language in Western Europe and has a vast medieval literature,
    and is unfortunately dying, there is an artificial standard grammar, but in fact there are 4
    grammars in four major dialects, within each of which variations are not only quite signficicant but
    are admired.
     
  16. I am pro-American in this war and am generally pro-American apart from the appalling shit they
    market as fast food and inflict on an unwitting world.

    However, this boycotting of French goods in the longterm is childish.

    Old saying,

    Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer.
     
  17. Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > However, beyond the question of correct capitalization of proper nouns, Salonen's posting appears
    > to refer to the spelling of "tire" vs. "tyre."
    >
    > Educated English speakers are aware that there are different spelling conventions and word usages
    > in different English speaking countries.
    >
    > A narrow-minded minority, however, seem to believe that the convention used where they live is the
    > only "correct" one and that people from other countries, following the established rules they were
    > taught in school, are somehow "incorrect."

    My posting was a late-at-night attempt on humour, and I agree it might not have been very
    successful. I was trying to point out the lack of punctuation in the original poster's posting,
    among other things. English is not my first language and I definitely don't beleive that one
    spelling convention is better than others. If somebody was offended by my posting I wish to
    apologize.

    -as
     
  18. W K

    W K Guest

    "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well if you are a veteran for peace I would think you would be upset with
    a
    > country that sells equipment including nuclear supplies and gives moral support to someone we are
    > at war with.

    What sort of propaganda are you being fed now?

    Iraq has been sneaking out supplies from many countries. What are these nuclear supplies? Last I
    heard was precision aluminum tubing.

    Remember who was supplying him when he was building his dictatorship.
     
  19. W K

    W K Guest

    "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > This attitude is bigoted and chauvinistic, and right-thinking people of all nationalities find it
    > offensive.

    But not as bad as wanting to boycott people who disagree.
     
  20. Derral

    Derral Guest

    The fast food crap is only marketed because some buys it, same as all the Chinese made junk being
    sold at Wal-Mart in the U.S., Don't buy it and it will rot on the shelf.

    I boycott Chinese products where possible mainly because it's junk, not because of politics.
    However, I feel Europe is the world leader in nationality boycotts, France and Germany in
    particular.

    Hutchinson tires are also French made, very good tires, except prone to rubber crack with very
    little age.

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am pro-American in this war and am generally pro-American apart from the appalling shit they
    > market as fast food and inflict on an unwitting world.
    >
    > However, this boycotting of French goods in the longterm is childish.
    >
    > Old saying,
    >
    > Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...