French tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W K <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thats different from expressing a view. France said "hey ... does this need to be done now ... so
> fast". If that election went the other way I doubt that it would have been now and so fast.
> Otherwise there would be no difference between the two US parties.

No, that's *not* what France said. What France said was closer to "there is no way we will endanger
our lucrative contracts with Iraq by ever supporting any military action against them, regardless of
their aggression, conduct, or support of terrorism."

There *were* many countries that expressed the attitude you describe above. But not France.

mike

--
Mike Fischbein [email protected] Any opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of any other
entity. They may not even be mine.

The French are not supporting us now, and they certainly did not support us in 1988 when we
were giving S.
H. millions to help him kill Iranians.

Those damn French Fries and tires

Steve

Alexey Merz wrote:

> "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I was just about to buy a few set's of new tires and wanted to stay away from any french brands
> > I believe Michelin are made in france are any others?
>
> Try Continentals, from Germany, or Panaracers, from Japan. By the way, proper nouns are
> capitalized (e.g., "******"; "Mao"; "Stalin"; "Limbaugh") and the plural form of set is sets, you
> knuckle-dragging droolie.

"Michael Fischbein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps part of this is that Europeans have had two major, devastating wars on their soil in the
> > past century. Americans haven't had a major war on US soil since the Civil War- no one alive
> > remembers it.
>
> A few months ago I was on vacation SCUBA diving in Hawaii. Oddly enough, there seemed to be a
> large display concerning a war where the US involvement started with an attack on US soil. It was
> quite a bit later than the US Civil War, too, happening in late 1941. I'm surprised that you
> hadn't heard of it, Mr. McNamara. Of course, that may have been part of some vast conspiracy, as
> some posters have alleged concerning the current Iraqi fracas. But, as a Navy veteran, I don't
> think so.

Actually Hawaii was stolen from the Hawaiians to support US business interests.

> mike
>
> --
> Mike Fischbein [email protected] Any opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of any other
> entity. They may not even be mine.

"Michael Fischbein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> W K <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Thats different from expressing a view. France said "hey ... does this need to be done now ...
> > so fast". If that election went the other way I doubt that it would have been now
and
> > so fast. Otherwise there would be no difference between the two US parties.
>
> No, that's *not* what France said. What France said was closer to "there is no way we will
> endanger our lucrative contracts with Iraq by ever supporting any military action against them,
> regardless of their aggression, conduct, or support of terrorism."

********!

All of the lucrative oil contracts will now go to "Stealth" **** Cheney and friends.

> There *were* many countries that expressed the attitude you describe above. But not France.
>
> mike
>
> --
> Mike Fischbein [email protected] Any opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of any other
> entity. They may not even be mine.

"bosaci" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:x4Kja.338855$L1.96512@sccrnsc02...
>
> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > George-<< For chrissake, here we go again. George F. Johnson A veteran for peace
> >
> >
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > Michelin is French. I think Avocet is as well.
>
> I really like French women, I don't think that I can give
them up!
>
>
I'd better like French women - I married one................

"J.Ouellet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Again :-( ..... a "patriot" targeting France ?!?
>
> Better leave politics to politicians...and talk Cycling!

<Rational Argument Snipped>

> You dont want to ride with French tires Pete ?!? It's up to you. Go ahead if its your way to heal
> your political frustration ... us, real cyclists will ride and enjoy best products, whether there
> are from France, Irak or Mars....because cycling makes a better life.
>
> Again, leave politics to politicians....and enjoy peacefull cycling
>

Oh No! Patriotic Americans should support their country and its friends by buying reliable
Anglo-American brands. I, for one, have:

-replaced all my Michelin tires with Hutchinsons;

-replaced my TA cranks with Stronglights;

-junked my Bic pens in favor of Watermans;

-thrown out all my Truffaut and other French videos and replaced them with reliable fare from MGM
and Universal;

-poured out several bottles of Perrier and bought a case of Poland Spring water instead;

-cancelled any plans to visit France and commenced my own boycott of anything from Disney; we're
taking the kids to Universal/Orlando instead.

Peter Storey "Firmly in the right column - the fifth one"

> anonymous writes:
>
> > Those of you boycotting French products might be interested in an article in the Wall Street
> > Journal.
>
>
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB104940909953735600-search,00.html?collect
ion=wsjie%2F30day&vql_string=michelin%3Cin%3E%28article%2Dbody%29
>
> That is, if you are a subscriber.
>
> > South Carolina decided that it would be the patriotic thing to do to boycott French products.
> > Then they discovered that there were Michelin tire plants all over South Carolina. Suddenly, the
> > bill that had been introduced to formalize the boycott disappeared from the State Senate.
>
> > There are several interesting ethical questions in this behavior, but I think it points out the
> > problems with being short sighted.

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:W%[email protected]...
> This syndrome is also known a the conservative approach, aka knee jerk. A liberal view would
> investigate more than the most obvious aspect of an issue after having been trolled by the John
> Wayne Justice perception. "I can tell black hats from white hats and to hell with liberalism.
> Six-gun the bastards!" Let's go to war! We know who the bad guys are.
>
> Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

After your own knee-jerk Manichean comments I'll remain skeptically non-"liberal". Thanks

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Mark Lee wrote:
>
> "Lance" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Pete Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> > > Well if you are a veteran for peace I would think you would be upset
> with a
> > > country that sells equipment including nuclear supplies and gives moral support to someone we
> > > are at war with.
> >
> > Is Lance Armstrong a traitor?
>
> He's loyal - but only to cash and himself.
>
> > He said he would race in the Tour de France, war or no war. Should Bush let him back in the US
> > if he wins the Tour?
>
> Yes. Anyone who has eaten French fries, used a French letter, given or received a French kiss,
> competed in a French sport or driven a French car should be tried for Anti-US activities in the
> US. Mark Lee
Are you related to Wen Ho Lee?

Michael Fischbein <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > Perhaps part of this is that Europeans have had two major, devastating wars on their soil in the
> > past century. Americans haven't had a major war on US soil since the Civil War- no one alive
> > remembers it.
>
> A few months ago I was on vacation SCUBA diving in Hawaii. Oddly enough, there seemed to be a
> large display concerning a war where the US involvement started with an attack on US soil. It was
> quite a bit later than the US Civil War, too, happening in late 1941. I'm surprised that you
> hadn't heard of it, Mr. McNamara.

>
> > Perhaps part of this is that Europeans have had two major,
devastating
> > wars on their soil in the past century. Americans haven't had a
major
> > war on US soil since the Civil War- no one alive remembers it.
>
> quite a bit later than the US Civil War, too, happening in late 1941.
>
Yes, WWII was a major war, and yes, some action took place on US soil (mainly in US waters -- it was
principally ships that were attacked), but to suggest that there is any closeness between the amount
of fighting that took place on US soil as opposed to on European soil in WWII is, at best,
disengenuous and at worst, plain old stupid.

JT

--
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

"Peter Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Oh No! Patriotic Americans should support their country and its friends by buying reliable
> Anglo-American brands. I, for one, have:
>
> -replaced all my Michelin tires with Hutchinsons;
>
> -replaced my TA cranks with Stronglights;
>
> -junked my Bic pens in favor of Watermans;
>
> -thrown out all my Truffaut and other French videos and replaced them with reliable fare from MGM
> and Universal;
>
> -poured out several bottles of Perrier and bought a case of Poland Spring water instead;

I believe Calistoga water would do as well.

Pete Russell <[email protected]> wrote:
>Once again I will mention that in my origonal post I did not mention war or boycot just that I did
>not want to buy french TIRES maby their rubber isn't as good or something it was most of you folks
>that twisted it into a political thread.

Suuure.

I think this makes it into the class of lie that insults the people it is told to merely by the
suggestion that they might believe it.

>Nationalism is the the strongest in countries outside the US,

Which planet are you from?
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

[email protected] (Peter Storey) wrote in message
>
> Oh No! Patriotic Americans should support their country and its friends by buying reliable
> Anglo-American brands. I, for one, have:
>
> -replaced all my Michelin tires with Hutchinsons;
>
> -replaced my TA cranks with Stronglights;

I presume this was posted with tongue firmly in cheek? Hutchinson and Stronglight, despite the
very English-sounding names, are both French companies anyway (the latter being owned by Zefal,
the pump people)!

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Peter Storey) wrote in message
> >
> > Oh No! Patriotic Americans should support their country and its friends by buying reliable
> > Anglo-American brands. I, for one, have:
> >
> > -replaced all my Michelin tires with Hutchinsons;
> >
> > -replaced my TA cranks with Stronglights;
>
> I presume this was posted with tongue firmly in cheek? Hutchinson and Stronglight, despite the
> very English-sounding names, are both French companies anyway (the latter being owned by Zefal,
> the pump people)!

Oh dear. Well, thanks for the explanation. I think I'll pour out all my French cognac and stick to
good old Hennessey.

He didn't suggest anything about how much was fought on US soil versus how much on European
soil, did he?

I believe he was pointing out the partially incorrect statement that the US hadn't had a major war
on our soil - certainly the loss of 3000 at Pearl might count is some history books.

BB

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> Michael Fischbein <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Perhaps part of this is that Europeans have had two major, devastating wars on their soil in the
>>>past century. Americans haven't had a major war on US soil since the Civil War- no one alive
>>>remembers it.
>>
>>A few months ago I was on vacation SCUBA diving in Hawaii. Oddly enough, there seemed to be a
>>large display concerning a war where the US involvement started with an attack on US soil. It was
>>quite a bit later than the US Civil War, too, happening in late 1941. I'm surprised that you
>>hadn't heard of it, Mr. McNamara.
>
>
> "Michael Fischbein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Perhaps part of this is that Europeans have had two major,
>>
> devastating
>
>>>wars on their soil in the past century. Americans haven't had a
>>
> major
>
>>>war on US soil since the Civil War- no one alive remembers it.
>>
>>A few months ago I was on vacation SCUBA diving in Hawaii. Oddly enough, there seemed to be a
>>large display concerning a war where the US involvement started with an attack on US soil. It was
>>quite a bit later than the US Civil War, too, happening in late 1941.
>>
>
> Yes, WWII was a major war, and yes, some action took place on US soil (mainly in US waters -- it
> was principally ships that were attacked), but to suggest that there is any closeness between the
> amount of fighting that took place on US soil as opposed to on European soil in WWII is, at best,
> disengenuous and at worst, plain old stupid.
>
> JT
>
> --
> *******************************************
> NB: reply-to address is munged
>
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
> *******************************************

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Peter Storey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Oh No! Patriotic Americans should support their country and its friends by buying reliable
> >
> >
> >
> > -junked my Bic pens in favor of Watermans;
> >
> > -thrown out all my Truffaut and other French videos and replaced them with reliable fare from
> > MGM and Universal;
> >
> > -poured out several bottles of Perrier and bought a case of Poland Spring water instead;
>
> I believe Calistoga water would do as well.

Perrier owns Calistoga (or was that the joke?)

"Alexey Merz" <[email protected]> wrote
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote
> > "Peter Storey" <[email protected]> wrote
> > >
> > > Oh No! Patriotic Americans should support their country and its friends by buying reliable
> > > Anglo-American brands. I, for one, have:
> > >
> > > -replaced all my Michelin tires with Hutchinsons;
> > >
> > > -replaced my TA cranks with Stronglights;
> > >
> > > -junked my Bic pens in favor of Watermans;
> > >
> > > -thrown out all my Truffaut and other French videos and replaced them with reliable fare from
> > > MGM and Universal;
> > >
> > > -poured out several bottles of Perrier and bought a case of Poland Spring water instead;
> >
> > I believe Calistoga water would do as well.
>
> Perrier owns Calistoga

My goodness, now wouldn't that be ironic?

Yeah, but we can colonise them slowly. first, we colonize their language and then the rest.
Stronglight , Hutchinsons, we will send Lance to the French Tour...

Andres

[email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote in message
> [email protected] (Peter Storey) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >
> >
>
> I presume this was posted with tongue firmly in cheek? Hutchinson and Stronglight, despite the
> very English-sounding names, are both French companies anyway (the latter being owned by Zefal,
> the pump people)!
>
> David E. Belcher
>
> Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

[email protected] (andres muro) wrote in message
> Yeah, but we can colonise them slowly. first, we colonize their language and then the rest.
> Stronglight , Hutchinsons, we will send Lance to the French Tour...
>
> Andres
>

Damn right, Andres. After all, it worked pretty well in England. Look at a current map of the place,
and you'll see places named after Boston and Gloucester MA, Chester PA, Albany NY, Camden ME,
Richmond VA, Manchester NH --- well, I could go on and on. In fact, we colonized them so well, they
even speak English!!!

France is coming along a little more slowly, but I understand they already have a town named after
Paris, Texas. Pretty soon, we'll have them doing all sorts of American things --- like making
casseroles for the church fete and buying fat-free sorbet at the supermarket.

Peter Storey

(Fortunately, England was last conquered by an ordinary fella named Norman. Can you imagine if he'd
been French?)

Status
Not open for further replies.