Frequency of Open Pro click / creak

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ralph Sanchez, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Right now, I have two sets of road wheels, and I'm trying to get rid of extra gear, so I'd like to
    sell one. I'm just having trouble deciding which one to put up on ebay. One set is a Velomax Circuit
    Comp, and the other is Mavic Open Pro (32) / Ultegra. The Open Pro set has about 500 miles, and I
    haven't heard any sort of creaking or clicking yet. I was wanting to get some feedback from other
    Open Pro / Ultegra owners to see how many have encountered the creak at some point, and how many
    never have. Today, I think I prefer the Open Pro wheelset, but I tend to think the clicking will
    drive me nuts if it ever starts. I know it's a crapshoot riding those wheels - I just want to kind
    of estimate what my odds are.

    Thanks in advance for any feedback, -rs

    Tags:

  2. Aljan12

    Aljan12 Guest

    Ralph, I have an Ultegra/Open Pro wheelset that has served me well for several thousand miles. There
    were two instances where "clicking" had occurred. The first occurrance was solved by greasing the
    spokes where they cross and contact each other. The last instance required a drop of oil on each
    spoke eyelet. Both episodes of "clicking" occurred after rainy rides. If your wheels start to make
    noise, one of these remedies should help. Good luck, ZEUS

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ralph Sanchez wrote:
    > Right now, I have two sets of road wheels, and I'm trying to get rid of extra gear, so I'd like to
    > sell one. I'm just having trouble deciding which one to put up on ebay. One set is a Velomax
    > Circuit Comp, and the other is Mavic Open Pro (32) / Ultegra. The Open Pro set has about 500
    > miles, and I haven't heard any sort of creaking or clicking yet. I was wanting to get some
    > feedback from other Open Pro / Ultegra owners

    (Hubs are irrelevant)

    > to see how many have encountered the creak at some point, and how many never have. Today, I
    > think I prefer the Open Pro wheelset, but I tend to think the clicking will drive me nuts if it
    > ever starts.

    Won't necessarily. The clicking often only occurs at low speed - and then is only heard if you have
    sharp hearing and are riding in a quiet environment. Other clicking/creaking problems with these
    rims may be more annoying (?), but there are ways of curing all the various problems in any case.

    > I know it's a crapshoot riding those wheels - I just want to kind of estimate what my odds are.

    I've owned five Open Pros. Two of them clicked after a while (I think noticed first after 500+
    miles) - due to pins or whatever it is rattling around inside. But I never noticed it at normal
    speed because centrifugal force holds the bits still.

    I wouldn't base the whole decision on the noise thing. It's just a small factor.

    ~PB

  4. > I've owned five Open Pros. Two of them clicked after a while (I think noticed first after 500+
    > miles) - due to pins or whatever it is rattling around inside. But I never noticed it at normal
    > speed because centrifugal force holds the bits still.

    I've had Open Pros that would drive you totally nuts at *any* speed due to clicking. Even got
    complaints from people riding around me. But, as far as I know, clicking has been a thing of the
    past for maybe two years now (in other words, if you buy a current rim, you shouldn't have to worry
    about the racket). We've built quite a few over the past couple of years and zero noise problems.
    Before then? Definitely a potential issue, frequently made worse, it seemed, by any riding in the
    rain whatsoever (meaning that people whose rims never saw rain were less likely to have the noise,
    while those who did would get the noise afterward, and it would continue from that point on, whether
    you continued to ride in the rain or not).

    > Ralph Sanchez wrote:
    > > Right now, I have two sets of road wheels, and I'm trying to get rid of extra gear, so I'd like
    > > to sell one. I'm just having trouble deciding which one to put up on ebay. One set is a Velomax
    > > Circuit Comp, and the other is Mavic Open Pro (32) / Ultegra. The Open Pro set has about 500
    > > miles, and I haven't heard any sort of creaking or clicking yet. I was wanting to get some
    > > feedback from other Open Pro / Ultegra owners
    >
    > (Hubs are irrelevant)
    >
    > > to see how many have encountered the creak at some point, and how many never have. Today, I
    > > think I prefer the Open Pro wheelset, but I tend to think the clicking will drive me nuts if it
    > > ever starts.
    >
    > Won't necessarily. The clicking often only occurs at low speed - and then is only heard if you
    > have sharp hearing and are riding in a quiet environment. Other clicking/creaking problems with
    > these rims may be more annoying (?), but there are ways of curing all the various problems in
    > any case.
    >
    > > I know it's a crapshoot riding those wheels - I just want to kind of estimate what my odds are.
    >
    > I've owned five Open Pros. Two of them clicked after a while (I think noticed first after 500+
    > miles) - due to pins or whatever it is rattling around inside. But I never noticed it at normal
    > speed because centrifugal force holds the bits still.
    >
    > I wouldn't base the whole decision on the noise thing. It's just a small factor.
    >
    > ~PB

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    The Open Pro set will sell on Ebay buy you'll likely get $135 for them less Ebay commission. People
    aren't into plain old spoked wheels. You might get more $ for the Velomax set.

    None of my Open Pro rims squeek. A good friend had every set of his 3 sets squeek. In discust, he
    gave me a set of rims, which I built up and they don't squeek. I didn't go anything special.

    On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 15:37:39 GMT, "Ralph Sanchez" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Right now, I have two sets of road wheels, and I'm trying to get rid of extra gear, so I'd like to
    >sell one. I'm just having trouble deciding which one to put up on ebay. One set is a Velomax
    >Circuit Comp, and the other is Mavic Open Pro (32) / Ultegra.

  6. Chluu907

    Chluu907 Guest

    I've got a set of Open Pro 28H w/Ultegra Hubs. No clicking in about 1K.

    Is the lacing pattern a possible issue (just a "blind" shot in the dark)? I have mine Front: Radial,
    Rear: 3X drive, Radial Non drive. Haven't had a problem so far.

    Claude

  7. Claude: I've seen them laced a number of ways, with little apparent effect on the clicking. As I
    mentioned though, I haven't seen this for some time; I don't think it's an issue with recent
    production. They (Mavic) certainly heard enough about it from customers and shops to want to take
    care of it!

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

    "Chluu907" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a set of Open Pro 28H w/Ultegra Hubs. No clicking in about 1K.
    >
    > Is the lacing pattern a possible issue (just a "blind" shot in the dark)?
    > have mine Front: Radial, Rear: 3X drive, Radial Non drive. Haven't had
    > problem so far.
    >
    > Claude

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    I think that the clicking and creaking are 2 different issues. My rear Helium clicked as did a T217.
    I'm sure they must have fixed that by now.

    Spoke creaking seems to still be around.

    On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:09:33 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Claude: I've seen them laced a number of ways, with little apparent effect on the clicking. As I
    >mentioned though, I haven't seen this for some time; I don't think it's an issue with recent
    >production. They (Mavic) certainly heard enough about it from customers and shops to want to take
    >care of it!

  9. The rhythmic clicking was from the pins coming loose at the seams. Typically a good fix would be to
    take a punch and a mallet and give it a good rap on the seams.

    in article [email protected]com, Paul Kopit at

    > I think that the clicking and creaking are 2 different issues. My rear Helium clicked as did a
    > T217. I'm sure they must have fixed that by now.
    >
    > Spoke creaking seems to still be around.
    >
    > On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:09:33 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Claude: I've seen them laced a number of ways, with little apparent effect on the clicking. As I
    >> mentioned though, I haven't seen this for some time; I don't think it's an issue with recent
    >> production. They (Mavic) certainly heard enough about it from customers and shops to want to take
    >> care of it!

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  10. I was told to drill a tiny hole on the top surface, near the joint and inject some Krazy Glue
    (cyanoacrylate) or something like it. If you get it into the right spot it is supposed to glue the
    metal piece into place or something. I have yet to try it. Well, that idea is sure better than the
    typical dumb looks at the Mavic booth at Interbike.. almost as bad as asking about the always
    ominous red cleat squeak at the Look booth.. :) Same dumb looks, different location.

    Bruce

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BA6481A2.289BF%[email protected]...

    > The rhythmic clicking was from the pins coming loose at the seams. Typically a good fix would be
    > to take a punch and a mallet and give it a good rap on the seams.
    >

    > in article [email protected], Paul Kopit at
    > [email protected] wrote on 02/03/2003 05:41 PM:
    >
    > > I think that the clicking and creaking are 2 different issues. My rear Helium clicked as did a
    > > T217. I'm sure they must have fixed that by now.
    > >
    > > Spoke creaking seems to still be around.
    > >
    > > On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:09:33 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Claude: I've seen them laced a number of ways, with little apparent
    effect
    > >> on the clicking. As I mentioned though, I haven't seen this for some
    time;
    > >> I don't think it's an issue with recent production. They (Mavic)
    certainly
    > >> heard enough about it from customers and shops to want to take care of
    it!

    > --
    >
    > Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea aye tee
    > why you ti ay aitch aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    > double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  11. I have a creaking set of Open Pro/Ultegra wheels and went through the "drill a small hole and put
    glue near the rim seam" procedure 2 times with no effect. Turns out it was the eyelets - some WD40
    sprayed there solves the problem for a while but then it recurrs.

    Be sure to try the oil on the eyelets before going for the "loose pin" fix.

  12. In article <kGY%[email protected]>, Donald Specker <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have a creaking set of Open Pro/Ultegra wheels and went through the "drill a small hole and put
    >glue near the rim seam" procedure 2 times with no effect. Turns out it was the eyelets - some WD40
    >sprayed there solves the problem for a while but then it recurrs.

    A gummier oil works better I find, something that dries up a little, like linseed oil. It sticks
    better. I think some kind of adhesive would also do a good job if you could apply it neatly enough.

    --Paul

  13. What?

    What? Guest

    news:HrZ%9.31794$A%[email protected]...