Frequency of taking supplements

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Apr 2, 2005.

  1. I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget and
    need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?

    A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.

    B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. David Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget

    and
    > need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    >
    > A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    >
    > B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    B.

    Due to the water soluble nutrients.

    And get a second job, to afford more supplements. What are you? Lazy?

    :)

    David

  3. T

    T Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget
    > and need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    >
    > A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    >
    > B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    Eat a normal diet and forego the supplements?

  4. Paulo

    Paulo Guest

    "T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget
    >> and need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    >>
    >> A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    >>
    >> B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    > Eat a normal diet and forego the supplements?

    Who told you to take them?

  5. mjoann

    mjoann Guest

    Scorn B Woe wrote:

    > T wrote:
    >
    >>Eat a normal diet and forego the supplements?

    > This guy is one of those dorks who thinks because you get colored
    > urine, that the vitamins don't do any good.

    Or maybe he knows that a nonnatural supplement is nowhere near as
    beneficial as it would be naturally occurring in the correct proportions
    in real food?

    mjoann

  6. On 2 Apr 2005 07:03:53 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    >
    >B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    Eat fruits, vegetables and other stuff naturally containing them. Or
    grow themselves and freeze down what you do not eat daily

    Even in a balcony and windowsill you may grow lot of healthy
    vegetables

  7. Scorn B Woe

    Scorn B Woe Guest

    mjoann wrote:
    > Or maybe he knows that a nonnatural supplement is nowhere near as
    > beneficial as it would be naturally occurring in the correct

    proportions
    > in real food?
    >
    > mjoann

    True, but we aren't talking ideals. In an ideal world nobody would need
    supplements, but as we all know it's not a perfect world, and we can't
    all eat what we want when we need it.

  8. Proton Soup

    Proton Soup Guest

    On 2 Apr 2005 07:10:03 -0800, "David Cohen" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget

    >and
    >> need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    >>
    >> A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    >>
    >> B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    >B.
    >
    >Due to the water soluble nutrients.

    Since you seem to be looking for consensus here, I'll have to agree
    with David and choose B.

    As for those other people saying you should just eat a healthy diet,
    that is certainly good advice, but no one eats healthy every day. I
    think you should both supplement and try to eat healthy, getting a
    wide variety of fruits and vegetables and animals.

    -----------
    Proton Soup

    "And all this peace has been deceiving,
    I need some wind to get me sailing"

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    "joni" <[email protected]> writes:
    [snip]
    > I would ask him what is he currently
    > taking/why/and to make sure he is not duplicating ingredients in his
    > current product choices because that is where you waste money.

    A rational approach, IMO.

    [snip]
    > You may just need to trim down what you
    > want to take versus what you can afford and add in the extras when you
    > have the cash.

    [snip]

    You have to be careful with this "none of the above" choice, too.
    Some supplements will not be as effective as they might otherwise
    be if certain other "enabler" vitamins/minerals/etc. are not in
    adequate supply in the body.

    --
    Jim Seymour | "It is wrong always, everywhere and
    WARNING: The "From:" address is a | for everyone to believe anything upon

  10. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Proton Soup" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>> I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget

    >>and
    >>> need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    >>>
    >>> A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    >>>
    >>> B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    >>B.
    >>
    >>Due to the water soluble nutrients.
    >>

    > Since you seem to be looking for consensus here, I'll have to agree
    > with David and choose B.
    >
    > As for those other people saying you should just eat a healthy diet,
    > that is certainly good advice, but no one eats healthy every day. I
    > think you should both supplement and try to eat healthy, getting a
    > wide variety of fruits and vegetables and animals.

    Of course. What the diet and running morons fail to understand is that
    optimal levels of micronutrients, for optimal health and longevity, can not
    be achieved with just "a healthy diet". To do so would require tens of
    thousands of calories a day, or impossibly enormous volumes of food.

    David

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget

    > and
    > > need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    > >
    > > A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    > >
    > > B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    > B.
    >
    > Due to the water soluble nutrients.
    >
    > And get a second job, to afford more supplements. What are you? Lazy?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > David

    He could also just be over-spending...
    Supplements are affordable even on a tight budget if you know how to
    shop.

    What is he taking?
    --
    Om.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "T" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget
    > > and need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    > >
    > > A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    > >
    > > B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    > Eat a normal diet and forego the supplements?

    <snork> BWahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!

    If you are to get enough "nutrition" in your diet simply from food,
    you'd have to eat so much, you'll be a blimp in NO time!

    Do some research. I have. ;-)

    Supplementing is pretty much madatory nowadays!
    Especially if one is weight lifting.
    --
    Om.

  13. Scorn B Woe

    Scorn B Woe Guest

    >Who told you to take them?>

    The voices.

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    mjoann <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Scorn B Woe wrote:
    > >
    > > T wrote:
    > >
    > >>Eat a normal diet and forego the supplements?

    > > This guy is one of those dorks who thinks because you get colored
    > > urine, that the vitamins don't do any good.

    > Or maybe he knows that a nonnatural supplement is nowhere near as
    > beneficial as it would be naturally occurring in the correct proportions
    > in real food?
    >
    > mjoann

    While that may be true, in order to get the daily amount of even just
    B-vitamins from your food, you'd have to eat an impossible amount of
    food!

    Milligram per milligram, supplements are CHEAPER and more efficient than
    food!

    C'mon folks! I know you know better than this!!!
    --
    Om.

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > mjoann wrote:
    > > Scorn B Woe wrote:

    > > > This guy is one of those dorks who thinks because you get colored
    > > > urine, that the vitamins don't do any good.

    > > Or maybe he knows that a nonnatural supplement is nowhere near as
    > > beneficial as it would be naturally occurring in the correct

    > proportions
    > > in real food?
    > >
    > > mjoann

    > I'm counting calories to lose weight. And it's working. Eating with a
    > 500 calorie deficit per day, being 45 y/o, and exercising alot, (cardio
    > and weights) it's difficult or impossible for me to meet my nutritional
    > requirements through food alone. Hence the reason I'm taking
    > supplements.
    >
    > For those who take the position that supplements are unnecessary,
    > that's your prerogative. Maybe I'll take that debate up with you in
    > another thread sometime in then future and learn something. But for now
    > I plan on continuing to take them. So I'd like to hear from the "pro
    > supplement" crowd and see if there's a simple answer to my question.
    > Which choice is the better one, A or B? Thanks.

    I'd vote "B", but if you shop around for brands etc., you might find you
    are overspending.

    I use a lot of "Now" brand. It's a generic brand but I and many others
    have found it to be excellent. I use their minerals and as many of the
    other additional supplements I can find as available.

    For the multi', "Solgar" was recommended to me by a doctor I know that
    is heavily into nutrition and herbals.

    When I compared it to others, it was higher in B-complex than just about
    any other multi'. I supplement minerals separately.

    Since B-vitamins are water soluble and are some of the more important
    ones, that is one thing I look for when buying supplements.

    Have you looked on line for supplement purchases? You can save 25% to
    30% on name brands sometimes if you find the right company.
    --
    Om.

  16. David Cohen wrote:

    > Of course. What the diet and running morons fail to understand is

    that
    > optimal levels of micronutrients, for optimal health and longevity,

    can not
    > be achieved with just "a healthy diet".

    What the weightlifting morons fail to grasp is that if you don't want
    the opinions of runners, you shouldn't crosspost to a running group.

    (RR removed from groups)

  17. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote
    > David Cohen wrote:
    >
    >> Of course. What the diet and running morons fail to understand is

    > that
    >> optimal levels of micronutrients, for optimal health and longevity,

    > can not
    >> be achieved with just "a healthy diet".

    > What the weightlifting morons fail to grasp is that if you don't want
    > the opinions of runners, you shouldn't crosspost to a running group.

    I want the opinion of the runners. Makes me feel superior, by comparison.

    > (RR removed from groups)

    RR added back in. I'd hate for you to miss my pithy comments.

    David

  18. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >> > I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget

    >> and
    >> > need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    >> >
    >> > A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    >> >
    >> > B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    >> B.
    >>
    >> Due to the water soluble nutrients.
    >>
    >> And get a second job, to afford more supplements. What are you? Lazy?
    >>
    >> :)

    > He could also just be over-spending...
    > Supplements are affordable even on a tight budget if you know how to
    > shop.

    This is true.

    Trying to set a good example for <<joni>>?

    David

  19. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "W3bTV D Z" <[email protected]> wrote
    > [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget and
    >> need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
    >>
    >> A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
    >>
    >> B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

    > I exercise alot but due to tight schedule can't afford to spend hours
    > in the gym every day. What's the better choice if I'd like to build
    > long lean muscles that are so much in vogue these days:
    >
    > A. Do 10 min of bowflex every other day
    > B. Do 5 min of bowflex every day

    You can start with either, but will need to go to less, less frequently, in
    order to continue to make inroads into recovery ability. Soon, you'll only
    need to do 5 seconds of Bowflex every other month.

    David

  20. Tom Phillips

    Tom Phillips Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > mjoann wrote:
    > > Scorn B Woe wrote:

    > > > This guy is one of those dorks who thinks because you get colored
    > > > urine, that the vitamins don't do any good.

    > > Or maybe he knows that a nonnatural supplement is nowhere near as
    > > beneficial as it would be naturally occurring in the correct

    > proportions
    > > in real food?
    > >
    > > mjoann

    > I'm counting calories to lose weight. And it's working. Eating with a
    > 500 calorie deficit per day, being 45 y/o, and exercising alot, (cardio
    > and weights) it's difficult or impossible for me to meet my nutritional
    > requirements through food alone. Hence the reason I'm taking
    > supplements.

    Not true. Eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables
    (complex carbs) should satisfy most nutritional needs and
    reduce caloric intake. Add a few nuts, whole grains, skim
    milk or yogurt etc., but no refined processed or fast foods
    (simple carbs and fat.) In other words a largely vegetarian
    diet of whole foods which also supplies a fair amount of
    daily water needs.

    > For those who take the position that supplements are unnecessary,
    > that's your prerogative. Maybe I'll take that debate up with you in
    > another thread sometime in then future and learn something. But for now
    > I plan on continuing to take them. So I'd like to hear from the "pro
    > supplement" crowd and see if there's a simple answer to my question.
    > Which choice is the better one, A or B? Thanks.

    B. taking excess suppliments or loading up on suppliments
    (mega doses) is a bad idea plus wasteful, since your body
    only excretes what it doesn't need. Besides what's a
    "full dose"? There are only recommendations, and most
    suppliments contain far more than people need in a single
    dose -- even if their diet sucks. Most vitamins especially
    in tab form are poorly absorbed, unlike the nutrients from
    real food. Only occasionally do I take a multi cap; only
    other suppliments I routinely take are C, E (250 mg/units
    or less), plus calcium and magnesium (powdered.)