Frequency of taking supplements

[email protected] wrote:

> I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget

and
> need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
>
> A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
>
> B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

Your choices are idiotic!

It would have to be choice B, which would then become
your full daily dose.
--
john gohde

"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote
> > David Cohen wrote:
> >> "Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote

that

of

> >> Die younger.

> > Oh my, people died from a lack of twin labs?
> >
> > And you of course have proof of this ludicrous
> > assertion ;)

> Everyone born before 1900, who did not use twin labs supplements, is dead.
> All of them. A coincidence? I think not.

ROFLMFAO!!!

"Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Immunization did not increase the life expectancy in North America.

Rubbish, what a complete troll!
Polio was controlled by vaccination.
Remember measles?
Sure improved hygiene such the spread
of commerical soap, the understanding
of germs, filtration and chlorination of water supplies,
quarantines, anti TB drugs, antibiotics, medicine,
vitamin supplement and fortification have also helped
lengthen average life expectancy.

I suppose pizza gurl may not even believe in the
"germ theory"?

JQ

-----Hoping for a chicken in every pot and
---- expecting a loon in every discussion.

Pizza Girl wrote:

> Average lifespan of adults over 10 and dying os old age, was 42 years a few
> hundred years ago (not counting the 50% of the children dying before 10
> years of age)
>
> Now we average what ? 72 years?
>
> All because of supplementation.

Uh hmm...has nothing to do with advances in medicine...you
have heard of such things as antibiotics, inoculations, and
all those childhood diseases no one dies of today? not to
mention silly little things like appendicitis, syphilis...
Oh nevermind pizzeria, just take your vits and troll happily
on. After all, everyone knows a daily multi cures cancer...

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> While that may be true, in order to get the daily amount of even just
> B-vitamins from your food, you'd have to eat an impossible amount of
> food!

How's this for an idea? We evolved over millions of years without
artificial supplements. Is it just possible that your idea of minimum
requirements of B vitamins might be a tad off?

Tim

In article <[email protected]>,
"David Cohen" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote
>> David Cohen wrote:
>>> "Tom Phillips" <[email protected]> wrote

[snip]

>>> Die younger.

>> Oh my, people died from a lack of twin labs?
>>
>> And you of course have proof of this ludicrous
>> assertion ;)

> Everyone born before 1900, who did not use twin labs supplements, is dead.
> All of them. A coincidence? I think not.

LOL!

--
Jim Seymour | "It is wrong always, everywhere and
WARNING: The "From:" address is a | for everyone to believe anything upon

"Tim" <nospamthanks@nowhere> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> While that may be true, in order to get the daily amount of even just
>> B-vitamins from your food, you'd have to eat an impossible amount of
>> food!

> How's this for an idea? We evolved over millions of years without
> artificial supplements. Is it just possible that your idea of minimum
> requirements of B vitamins might be a tad off?

We evolved for millions of years without antibiotics, too, so clearly they
can't do anything for us.

Peter

In article <[email protected]>,
"Rene" <[email protected]> writes:
[snip]

> This is an excellent place to buy supplements inexpensively:
> http://www.puritans.com/

[snip]
> As far as quality goes, they can hardly be beat also. Check out this site
> to see whether your supplement has what it says it has:
> http://www.consumerlabs.com/
> Puritan's Pride is always on the top 10 "good" list. It seems you just
> can't go wrong with them.

ISTR Puritan's Pride was one of the ones whose vitamin E was
complete, whereas many (most?) contain just the d-alpha component.

I was curious, because of recent news reports of studies allegedly
suggesting vit. E supplements may not be such a good idea after all,
vs. a Gary Null thing on PBS (during recent fund raising) where he
said the problem with most vit. E studies is they're done on common
off-the-shelf vit. E, containing only d-alpha, whereas, he says, the
d-gamma component is the most important bit.

Not taking a stand on any of these issues, one way or the other, just
noting these things.

--
Jim Seymour | "It is wrong always, everywhere and
WARNING: The "From:" address is a | for everyone to believe anything upon
spam trap. DON'T USE IT! Use: | insufficient evidence."
[email protected] | - W. K. Clifford, ca. 1876

In article <e%[email protected]>,
"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> and

> >> B.
> >>
> >> Due to the water soluble nutrients.
> >>
> >> And get a second job, to afford more supplements. What are you? Lazy?
> >>
> >> :)

> > He could also just be over-spending...
> > Supplements are affordable even on a tight budget if you know how to
> > shop.

> This is true.
>
> Trying to set a good example for <<joni>>?
>
> David

<shrugs>
Whatever works... ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Cohen wrote:
> >
> > Of course. What the diet and running morons fail to understand is that
> > optimal levels of micronutrients, for optimal health and longevity, can not
> > be achieved with just "a healthy diet". To do so would require tens of
> > thousands of calories a day, or impossibly enormous volumes of food.
> >

> gee, I wonder what the human race did before
> the modern suppliment industry...?

They had a drastically reduced life expectancy...
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > Supplementing is pretty much madatory nowadays!
> > Especially if one is weight lifting.

> Yeah, don't forget that daily does of steroids...

Whatever...

You are obviously clueless!

I'm not even going to go there with you.
There is FAR more to weightlifting
and bodybuilding than drugs!!!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > mjoann <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Or maybe he knows that a nonnatural supplement is nowhere near as
> > > beneficial as it would be naturally occurring in the correct proportions
> > > in real food?
> > >
> > > mjoann
> > >

> > While that may be true, in order to get the daily amount of even just
> > B-vitamins from your food, you'd have to eat an impossible amount of
> > food!

> And what "daily amount" is that? Whatever the government says?

<lol> The US-RDA governmental recommendations are more ignorant than you
are!
--

In article <[email protected]>, "Rene" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] wrote:

> >> proportions

> >> I'm counting calories to lose weight. And it's working. Eating with a
> >> 500 calorie deficit per day, being 45 y/o, and exercising alot, (cardio
> >> and weights) it's difficult or impossible for me to meet my nutritional
> >> requirements through food alone. Hence the reason I'm taking
> >> supplements.
> >>
> >> For those who take the position that supplements are unnecessary,
> >> that's your prerogative. Maybe I'll take that debate up with you in
> >> another thread sometime in then future and learn something. But for now
> >> I plan on continuing to take them. So I'd like to hear from the "pro
> >> supplement" crowd and see if there's a simple answer to my question.
> >> Which choice is the better one, A or B? Thanks.
> >>

> > I'd vote "B", but if you shop around for brands etc., you might find you
> > are overspending.
> >
> > I use a lot of "Now" brand. It's a generic brand but I and many others
> > have found it to be excellent. I use their minerals and as many of the
> > other additional supplements I can find as available.
> >
> > For the multi', "Solgar" was recommended to me by a doctor I know that
> > is heavily into nutrition and herbals.
> >
> > When I compared it to others, it was higher in B-complex than just about
> > any other multi'. I supplement minerals separately.
> >
> > Since B-vitamins are water soluble and are some of the more important
> > ones, that is one thing I look for when buying supplements.
> >
> > Have you looked on line for supplement purchases? You can save 25% to
> > 30% on name brands sometimes if you find the right company.
> > --
> > Om.
> >
> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack
> > Nicholson

> This is an excellent place to buy supplements inexpensively:
> http://www.puritans.com/
> Right now they have a buy 1 get 2 free sale and shipping is usually free
> when you spend enough ($50 maybe). Each month is a different sale. Most
> products are gluten free.
> As far as quality goes, they can hardly be beat also. Check out this site
> to see whether your supplement has what it says it has:
> http://www.consumerlabs.com/
> Puritan's Pride is always on the top 10 "good" list. It seems you just
> can't go wrong with them.
>
> (I am not affiliated with Puritan's Pride whatsoever.)
> René

Really!
Thanks! I have bookmarked that site for later perusal...
Heaven knows I can always use a source for good and less expensive
supplements! I often shop GNC on their discount days with my card.

I like "Isopure" Whey powder. ;-)
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Cohen wrote:

> > > gee, I wonder what the human race did before
> > > the modern suppliment industry...?

> > Die younger.

> Oh my, people died from a lack of twin labs?
>
> And you of course have proof of this ludicrous
> assertion ;)

Look at the increase in lifespans over time....

I think even a clueless moron like yourself can see the obvious!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
mjoann <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > <snork> BWahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!
> >
> > If you are to get enough "nutrition" in your diet simply from food,
> > you'd have to eat so much, you'll be a blimp in NO time!
> >
> > Do some research. I have. ;-)

> Apparently not. Most of the raw foods that hold the most minerals and
> vitamins have very few calories.
>
> It would be pretty difficult to become a "blimp" while depending on low
> calorie fruits and vegetables such as kale, carrots or broccoli, in
> fact, many people do that to LOSE weight.
>
> mjoann

And become scrawny little pencil necks while they are at it from lack of
protein....... ;-D
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
mjoann <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > mjoann <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Or maybe he knows that a nonnatural supplement is nowhere near as
> >>beneficial as it would be naturally occurring in the correct proportions
> >>in real food?
> >>
> >>mjoann
> >>

> > While that may be true, in order to get the daily amount of even just
> > B-vitamins from your food, you'd have to eat an impossible amount of
> > food!
> >
> > Milligram per milligram, supplements are CHEAPER and more efficient than
> > food!
> >
> > C'mon folks! I know you know better than this!!!

> First of all, a high quality supplement is not going to be the cheap
> junk at the grocery store. Plus, regular produce is so cheap; carrots
> are hardly going to send you into bankruptcy! Secondly, no supplement is
> ever as high in quality as food; no kind of processed vitamin even in
> food is. Real, usually raw, organic food is the best "supplement" you
> can get. Healthy foods (if uncooked) will have the enzymes, etc. that
> help you utilize the vitamins and minerals, as well as the optimal
> ratios. The human body is designed to utilize vitamins and minerals in
> their natural state, not as derived using chemicals. Even if supplements
> do any good, the amount that your body absorbs isn't as high as the
> amount that's actually listed on the label.
>
> I should hope people know better, we all learned about the values of
> real food in elementary school. The only reasons to push supplements are
> to help those with serious deficiencies and mostly, to line the pockets
> of drug companies who love a sucker.
>
> mjoann

Look...
Here is a nice fact for you.

When it comes to important minerals and trace minerals, the carrots and
stuff don't "create" those. Same goes for several essential elements.

If they are not PRESENT in the soil, they are not going to be in the
food!

Our current farming practices use a lot of commercial fertilizers as the
soils that veggies are being grown in are sadly depleted!

If you can afford to buy all organic, fine! Go for it. That will help a
lot.

It's interesting that the vast majority of livestock feeds ARE
supplemented!

Heavily.

Read any feed tag. I have. I raise poultry and my own eggs, and some of
my own meat as well.

Veterinarians know the value of food "supplements" for animals. Only a
fool would not apply the same needs to humans!

You can get a lot of what you need from your food, but, as the original
OP stated, he is consuming a hypocaloric diet! There is no way in HELL
you can eat what you need to get the proper amount of micronutrients and
still maintain a hypocaloric diet!

And, athletes, due to the stress they put on their bodies, DO need extra
nutrients! Hence, supplementation...