Frequency of taking supplements

joni wrote:

> Tom Phillips wrote:
> > Pizza Girl wrote:
> > >
> > > Average lifespan of adults over 10 and dying os old age, was 42

> years a few
> > > hundred years ago (not counting the 50% of the children dying

> before 10
> > > years of age)
> > >
> > > Now we average what ? 72 years?
> > >
> > > All because of supplementation.

> > Uh hmm...has nothing to do with advances in medicine...you
> > have heard of such things as antibiotics, inoculations, and
> > all those childhood diseases no one dies of today? not to
> > mention silly little things like appendicitis, syphilis...
> > Oh nevermind pizzeria, just take your vits and troll happily
> > on. After all, everyone knows a daily multi cures cancer...

> Actually both sides are correct - medical advances, immunizations,
> nutrition, etc are all contributing factors to Americans longevity.

Actually, Americans have the poorest diets and nutrition
in the world.

So

joni wrote:

> Actually both sides are correct - medical advances, immunizations,
> nutrition, etc are all contributing factors to Americans longevity. So
> its a combination of things. However increased supplementation of
> vitamins/antioxidents/minerals is also right up there with why we live
> a bit longer today

Better nutrition has helped increase life expectancies, but that is due
more to a variety of seasonal foods being available year round rather
than supplements. You can thank grocery stores, greenhouses and imports
from tropical locations for increased access to nutrition.

mjoann

joni wrote:

> Actually both sides are correct - medical advances, immunizations,
> nutrition, etc are all contributing factors to Americans longevity. So
> its a combination of things. However increased supplementation of
> vitamins/antioxidents/minerals is also right up there with why we live
> a bit longer today

Better nutrition has helped increase life expectancies, but that is due
more to a variety of seasonal foods being available year round rather
than supplements. You can thank grocery stores, greenhouses and imports
from tropical locations for increased access to nutrition.

mjoann

I have my doubts about it. I am not sure what difference it makes to me.

Remember, it's only a theory anyway.
I don't believe in Christian Mythology either but then I have never been
much of a sheep. I follow what makes sense based on primal instincts not
what I have been told to believe.

"John Que" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Immunization did not increase the life expectancy in North America.
> >

> Rubbish, what a complete troll!
> Polio was controlled by vaccination.
> Remember measles?
> Sure improved hygiene such the spread
> of commerical soap, the understanding
> of germs, filtration and chlorination of water supplies,
> quarantines, anti TB drugs, antibiotics, medicine,
> vitamin supplement and fortification have also helped
> lengthen average life expectancy.
>
> I suppose pizza gurl may not even believe in the
> "germ theory"?
>
> JQ
>
> -----Hoping for a chicken in every pot and
> ---- expecting a loon in every discussion.
>

>>This guy is one of those dorks who thinks because you get colored
urine, that the vitamins don't do any good. Well he's a fool. Proof you

ask? Ok. Take Glucosamine Chondroitin, and it will similarly color your

urine, but you still get the full effects of the supplements within. <<

COMMENT

Glucosamine/Chondroitin colors your urine? What color? Are you posting
from some kind of alternate universe?

SBH

"Runs With Knives" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Rene" <[email protected]> writes:
> [snip]
>>
>> This is an excellent place to buy supplements inexpensively:
>> http://www.puritans.com/

> [snip]
>> As far as quality goes, they can hardly be beat also. Check out this
>> site
>> to see whether your supplement has what it says it has:
>> http://www.consumerlabs.com/
>> Puritan's Pride is always on the top 10 "good" list. It seems you just
>> can't go wrong with them.

> ISTR Puritan's Pride was one of the ones whose vitamin E was
> complete, whereas many (most?) contain just the d-alpha component.

This is the vitamin E I take:
http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10008046
but looking at the Puritans website, they have one that is soooo much
cheaper
http://www.puritan.com/pages/Categories.asp?sc=3&xs=94D11E3F529344DA9E0B0995A9B9DA80&CID=103.
It does not list the mg though. No tocotrienols either. I guess I will
stick with Carlson's.

René

> I was curious, because of recent news reports of studies allegedly
> suggesting vit. E supplements may not be such a good idea after all,
> vs. a Gary Null thing on PBS (during recent fund raising) where he
> said the problem with most vit. E studies is they're done on common
> off-the-shelf vit. E, containing only d-alpha, whereas, he says, the
> d-gamma component is the most important bit.
>
> Not taking a stand on any of these issues, one way or the other, just
> noting these things.
>
> --
> Jim Seymour | "It is wrong always, everywhere and
> WARNING: The "From:" address is a | for everyone to believe anything
> upon
> spam trap. DON'T USE IT! Use: | insufficient evidence."
> [email protected] | - W. K. Clifford, ca.
> 1876

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Rene" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > I'd vote "B", but if you shop around for brands etc., you might find
>> > you
>> > are overspending.
>> >
>> > I use a lot of "Now" brand. It's a generic brand but I and many others
>> > have found it to be excellent. I use their minerals and as many of the
>> > other additional supplements I can find as available.
>> >
>> > For the multi', "Solgar" was recommended to me by a doctor I know that
>> > is heavily into nutrition and herbals.
>> >
>> > When I compared it to others, it was higher in B-complex than just
>> > about
>> > any other multi'. I supplement minerals separately.
>> >
>> > Since B-vitamins are water soluble and are some of the more important
>> > ones, that is one thing I look for when buying supplements.
>> >
>> > Have you looked on line for supplement purchases? You can save 25% to
>> > 30% on name brands sometimes if you find the right company.
>> > --
>> > Om.
>> >
>> > "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack
>> > Nicholson

>> This is an excellent place to buy supplements inexpensively:
>> http://www.puritans.com/
>> Right now they have a buy 1 get 2 free sale and shipping is usually free
>> when you spend enough ($50 maybe). Each month is a different sale. Most
>> products are gluten free.
>> As far as quality goes, they can hardly be beat also. Check out this
>> site
>> to see whether your supplement has what it says it has:
>> http://www.consumerlabs.com/
>> Puritan's Pride is always on the top 10 "good" list. It seems you just
>> can't go wrong with them.
>>
>> (I am not affiliated with Puritan's Pride whatsoever.)
>> René
>>

> Really!
> Thanks! I have bookmarked that site for later perusal...
> Heaven knows I can always use a source for good and less expensive
> supplements! I often shop GNC on their discount days with my card.

One problem with Puritan's Pride is slow delivery. But the savings makes it
worth it!

> I like "Isopure" Whey powder. ;-)

Puritan's has a whey powder you might want to check out and compare. Why do
you like Isopure? Because of ingredients or taste?

René

> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack
> Nicholson

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:17:42 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"T" <nospamthanks@nowhere> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget
>>> and need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
>>>
>>> A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
>>>
>>> B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

>> Eat a normal diet and forego the supplements?

>Better yet, eat a healthy diet and forego the supplements.
>
>Jeff

I run a lot of fruits and vegetables through a juicer. I don't keep
tabs on nutrients, but juicing is an easy way to get lots of them, and
quick.

Dave

Tom Phillips wrote:
> joni wrote:
> > Actually both sides are correct - medical advances, immunizations,
> > nutrition, etc are all contributing factors to Americans longevity.

> Actually, Americans have the poorest diets and nutrition
> in the world.

"In the world' eh? I'll be sure to tell that to a third world person
with their one grain of rice.

<<joni>>

joni wrote:

> Tom Phillips wrote:
> > joni wrote:
> > > Actually both sides are correct - medical advances, immunizations,
> > > nutrition, etc are all contributing factors to Americans longevity.

> > Actually, Americans have the poorest diets and nutrition
> > in the world.

> "In the world' eh? I'll be sure to tell that to a third world person
> with their one grain of rice.

At least they have all that wheat we send them.
For thier part Americans prefer junk food and
associated diseases by a vast margin.

BTW, you can live on nothing but rice, provided it ain't
the white American kind that's had the **** (i.e.,
nutrients) processed out of it.

Now unless they're anymore stupid nutritional arguments...

wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Rene" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> This is an excellent place to buy supplements inexpensively:
> >> http://www.puritans.com/
> >> Right now they have a buy 1 get 2 free sale and shipping is usually free
> >> when you spend enough ($50 maybe). Each month is a different sale. Most
> >> products are gluten free.
> >> As far as quality goes, they can hardly be beat also. Check out this
> >> site
> >> to see whether your supplement has what it says it has:
> >> http://www.consumerlabs.com/
> >> Puritan's Pride is always on the top 10 "good" list. It seems you just
> >> can't go wrong with them.
> >>
> >> (I am not affiliated with Puritan's Pride whatsoever.)
> >> René
> >>

> > Really!
> > Thanks! I have bookmarked that site for later perusal...
> > Heaven knows I can always use a source for good and less expensive
> > supplements! I often shop GNC on their discount days with my card.

> One problem with Puritan's Pride is slow delivery. But the savings makes it
> worth it!
>

> > I like "Isopure" Whey powder. ;-)

> Puritan's has a whey powder you might want to check out and compare. Why do
> you like Isopure? Because of ingredients or taste?
>
> René

It mixes with a shaker, has NO gritty texture (it's very smooth), has an
excellent flavor AND it comes in lactose free/zero carb.

If I'm going to have carbs, I'll eat them. <G>
--

Dave K <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:17:42 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >"T" <nospamthanks@nowhere> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> Eat a normal diet and forego the supplements?

> >Better yet, eat a healthy diet and forego the supplements.
> >
> >Jeff

> I run a lot of fruits and vegetables through a juicer. I don't keep
> tabs on nutrients, but juicing is an easy way to get lots of them, and
> quick.
>
> Dave

Yes, it is indeed, as long as you can afford them.
But, I often wonder about folks that say they cannot afford fresh
produce.

When I eat fresh veggies, my grocery bill goes DOWN!
Lb. for lb., they are not that expensive when compared to a lot of other
foods.
--

Tom Phillips <[email protected]> wrote:

> joni wrote:
> >
> > Tom Phillips wrote:

> > > Actually, Americans have the poorest diets and nutrition
> > > in the world.

> > "In the world' eh? I'll be sure to tell that to a third world person
> > with their one grain of rice.

> At least they have all that wheat we send them.
> For thier part Americans prefer junk food and
> associated diseases by a vast margin.
>
> BTW, you can live on nothing but rice, provided it ain't
> the white American kind that's had the **** (i.e.,
> nutrients) processed out of it.

You sure can... if you don't mind eventually suffering from essential
amino acid deficiencies.

Rice does NOT contain complete proteins.
Mix rice with beans and you are ok.

Honestly dude, have you studied nutrition at all???

> Now unless they're anymore stupid nutritional arguments...

--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Spend the money on good shrink to figure out
you believe the advertising for supplements.
Humans have run for millions of years on
ordinary food.

rick++ wrote:
> Spend the money on good shrink to figure out
> you believe the advertising for supplements.
> Humans have run for millions of years on
> ordinary food.

True. And even just 100 years ago, they died before age 50. What a stupid
comment.
--
-Larry

On 2 Apr 2005 07:03:53 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I take alot of vitamin and mineral supplements, but I'm on a budget and
>need to stretch them out. What's the better choice, healthwise?
>
>A. Take a full dose of all supplements every other day.
>
>B. Take a half dose of all supplements every day.

I add my vote for 'B' - half dose every day.

Also, skip the 'less necessary' vitamins and buy just the most
important ones (multi, omega 3).

Watch for sales and stock-up (I just bought a bunch of 'Swiss' brand
vitamins at 50% off)

Forego the supplements and be reborm without inborm metabolic errrors.

Better yet be reborm with a self-administered antibiotic system that works
no matter what.

> Put your money where your mouth is.

You mean my time in this case.

> Show me some stats from the countries in Europe that had no polio
> vaccination policy and how it is still rampant there.

I'll suggest you look at vaccination coverage and disease frequency per
year.
Check the WHO site it has a load of maps and Stats.
The following links goes to a chart that shows the overall view.
http://www.who.int/vaccines-surveillance/graphics/htmls/measlescascov.htm

Whether a nation has a formal system or an informal system makes little
difference if the final result is wide vaccination coverage.

> I remember measles. I had them bad. It's a childhood disease. Why is there
> no vaccine against influenza or colds or other diseases they could

actually
> show success?

No it is a disease often caught in childhood but an adult can get it also.
Very bad for the human fetus when caught by the pregnant adult female human.

> You have been brainwashed by your mommy. You are spouting rubbish that you
> have been told like a sheep with no proof. Do you believe in God too?

Well, I am not the one who thinks disease germs are just are a "theory."

On another forum "God" responded and called me an idiot which
is an abuse of the word. I notice you abuse the word "theory" like
a creationists often do.

JQ
-----promising a beer in every belly
-----and a water fowl in every pot

> "John Que" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Immunization did not increase the life expectancy in North America.
> > >

> > Rubbish, what a complete troll!
> > Polio was controlled by vaccination.
> > Remember measles?
> > Sure improved hygiene such the spread
> > of commerical soap, the understanding
> > of germs, filtration and chlorination of water supplies,
> > quarantines, anti TB drugs, antibiotics, medicine,
> > vitamin supplement and fortification have also helped
> > lengthen average life expectancy.
> >
> > I suppose pizza gurl may not even believe in the
> > "germ theory"?
> >
> > JQ
> >
> > -----Hoping for a chicken in every pot and
> > ---- expecting a loon in every discussion.

I am sure your WHO charts are lies anyway.

I am sure they do not mention the tens of thousands of people they have
murdered with their vaccinations. Some civilizations in their conquered
world do not exist because fo these "cures" you have been brainwashed to
believe in.