Fresh Ahi Recipe Ideas

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kilikini, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    Aloha folks! Once again I'm asking for recipe ideas from you all. Yesterday, my roommate brought
    home a 20 pound Ahi that was freshly caught. We skinned it, gutted it, boned it, etc. but we didn't
    have a decent knife for the job and as a result we have large chunks instead of proper filets.
    That's okay, the fish is still good. Anyway, here in Hawaii everybody either eats their Ahi raw (as
    in Sashimi or Poke); or it's grilled and served on a bun; or it's coated in macadamia nuts and
    sauteed; or its slathered in mayo, wrapped in ti leaves and baked.

    All of those ways are good, but old.

    Does anybody have any other ideas on how to cook the fish? I have about 7 pounds, but it's separated
    out into 4 baggies so if we need to freeze some, it's okay.

    TIA kilikini

    --
    "Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." -- Homer
    Simpson

    Tags:

  2. "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip ahi info>

    > Does anybody have any other ideas on how to cook the fish? I have about 7 pounds, but it's
    > separated out into 4 baggies so if we need to freeze
    some,
    > it's okay.
    >
    > TIA kilikini
    >
    > --
    > "Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson

    While not my personal preference, my father's quite fond of giving ahi a short soak in a commercial
    italian dressing and then grilling it.

    My personal preferences would be to sear the fish and serve with a light teriyaki glaze. (After a
    few raw slices diped in a mix of soy, ginger, garlic and wasabi, that is)

    Jason

  3. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Jason Tinling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip ahi info>
    > >
    > > Does anybody have any other ideas on how to cook the fish? I have about
    7
    > > pounds, but it's separated out into 4 baggies so if we need to freeze
    > some,
    > > it's okay.
    > >
    > > TIA kilikini
    > >
    > > --
    > > "Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." --
    Homer
    > > Simpson
    > >

    > While not my personal preference, my father's quite fond of giving ahi a short soak in a
    > commercial italian dressing and then grilling it.
    >
    > My personal preferences would be to sear the fish and serve with a light teriyaki glaze. (After a
    > few raw slices diped in a mix of soy, ginger, garlic and wasabi, that is)
    >
    > Jason

    Jason, we did the sashimi thing yesterday <g>. We (me, my boyfriend, my dog and my two cats)
    enjoyed it! The cats had a little bit more for breakfast. kilikini

  4. x-no-archive: yes

    kilikini wrote:

    >Aloha folks! Once again I'm asking for recipe ideas from you all. Yesterday, my roommate brought
    >home a 20 pound Ahi that was freshly caught. We skinned it, gutted it, boned it, etc. but we didn't
    >have a decent knife for the job and as a result we have large chunks instead of proper filets.
    >That's okay, the fish is still good. Anyway, here in Hawaii everybody either eats their Ahi raw (as
    >in Sashimi or Poke); or it's grilled and served on a bun; or it's coated in macadamia nuts and
    >sauteed; or its slathered in mayo, wrapped in ti leaves and baked.
    >
    >All of those ways are good, but old.
    >
    >Does anybody have any other ideas on how to cook the fish? I have about 7 pounds, but it's
    >separated out into 4 baggies so if we need to freeze some, it's okay.
    >
    >TIA kilikini

    Blackened? I had some "cajun seared sashimi" that was great. It wasn't really sashimi although it
    was pretty much raw except for the spice-encrusted outside. It appeared to have been cooked on a
    grill with balckening spices; I'm sure you could do it in a pan too.

    Naomi D.

  5. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Naomi Darvell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > kilikini wrote:
    >
    > >Aloha folks! Once again I'm asking for recipe ideas from you all. Yesterday, my roommate brought
    > >home a 20 pound Ahi that was freshly
    caught.
    > >We skinned it, gutted it, boned it, etc. but we didn't have a decent
    knife
    > >for the job and as a result we have large chunks instead of proper
    filets.
    > >That's okay, the fish is still good. Anyway, here in Hawaii everybody either eats their Ahi raw
    > >(as in Sashimi or Poke); or it's grilled and served on a bun; or it's coated in macadamia nuts
    > >and sauteed; or its slathered in mayo, wrapped in ti leaves and baked.
    > >
    > >All of those ways are good, but old.
    > >
    > >Does anybody have any other ideas on how to cook the fish? I have about
    7
    > >pounds, but it's separated out into 4 baggies so if we need to freeze
    some,
    > >it's okay.
    > >
    > >TIA kilikini
    >
    > Blackened? I had some "cajun seared sashimi" that was great. It wasn't
    really
    > sashimi although it was pretty much raw except for the spice-encrusted
    outside.
    > It appeared to have been cooked on a grill with balckening spices; I'm
    sure you
    > could do it in a pan too.
    >

    > Naomi D.

    Naomi, that's called blackened seared Ahi - which is absolutely fabulous! We talked about doing it
    that way, but it's best in a really hot cast iron pan -which we don't have! If we get our grill nice
    and hot, we can try it on that. Shoot, we have 7 pounds! We can do anything! <g>

    It's funny, now that the cats *know* we have the fish in the 'fridge, every time they hear the door
    open, they come running and crying. No, maybe bleating is a better word. They never really cared
    about the refrigerator before.......... he he he.

    kilikini

  6. x-no-archive: yes

    Another way to do ahi is seared with pepper, like a pepper steak.

    With both those, some kind of sauce is nice. Roy's does a creamy sauce with mustard and soy sauce
    with the blackened ahi; I like wasabi mayo with the peppered ahi.

    Naomi D.

  7. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Naomi Darvell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > Another way to do ahi is seared with pepper, like a pepper steak.
    >
    > With both those, some kind of sauce is nice. Roy's does a creamy sauce
    with
    > mustard and soy sauce with the blackened ahi; I like wasabi mayo with the peppered ahi.
    >

    > Naomi D.

    I was thinking about some sort of creamy tarragon or dill sauce...... kili

  8. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Naomi Darvell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >

    > >"Naomi Darvell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m15.aol.com...
    > >> x-no-archive: yes
    > >>
    > >> Another way to do ahi is seared with pepper, like a pepper steak.
    > >>
    > >> With both those, some kind of sauce is nice. Roy's does a creamy sauce
    > >with
    > >> mustard and soy sauce with the blackened ahi; I like wasabi mayo with
    the
    > >> peppered ahi.
    > >>

    > >> Naomi D.
    > >>

    > >I was thinking about some sort of creamy tarragon or dill sauce...... kili
    > >

    > When's the next plane? I'm coming over!
    >

    > Naomi D.

    ROFLMAO, planes fly in and out constantly! It's a beautiful day today too, sunny, light trades and
    only 72 degrees as of 9:15 am. Nice! kili

  9. "JLove98905" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Seeing this thread about ahi has made me remember my annoyance at
    discovering
    > that "ahi" is not a valid Scrabble word. I KNEW ahi was a real word! I
    knew it
    > was fish - is it similar to tuna?
    >
    > -jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

    Jen,

    IIRC, Ahi is the Hawaiian (not English) word for yellowfin tuna.

    Jason

  10. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "Jason Tinling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "JLove98905" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m20.aol.com...
    > > Seeing this thread about ahi has made me remember my annoyance at
    > discovering
    > > that "ahi" is not a valid Scrabble word. I KNEW ahi was a real word! I
    > knew it
    > > was fish - is it similar to tuna?
    > >
    > > -jen Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright
    > >

    > Jen,
    >
    > IIRC, Ahi is the Hawaiian (not English) word for yellowfin tuna.
    >
    > Jason

    Is is the word for yellowfin tuna, yes. kili