Fresh Fruit Compote

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Daisy, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Daisy

Daisy Guest

I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I have an amount of fresh
    strawberries and would like to make a compote for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.

I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some sort of red liqueur like cassis
    - or even port wine. I would add some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about 1
    tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and pour over the syrup/gelatine mixture
    and leave to set.

I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help me?

Oh, I am in summer where I am. That's why I have extra strawberries. But I think a compote should
    embrace other fresh fruits also.

Thanx

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

Tags:

2. Reg

Reg Guest

Daisy wrote:

> I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I have an amount of fresh
    > strawberries and would like to make a compote for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.
    >
    > I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some sort of red liqueur like
    > cassis - or even port wine. I would add some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about
    > 1 tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and pour over the syrup/gelatine
    > mixture and leave to set.
    >
    > I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help me?
    >

This doesn't use gelatin, but I don't think you need it.

Strawberry Compote

Recipe By : Emeril Lagasse Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories :
    Accompaniment Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 pints Fresh strawberries -- washed, patted dry, and sliced 1 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Grand Marnier

In a non-reactive saucepan, over medium heat, combine 2 pints of the strawberries, sugar and
    liquor. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the fruit is
    soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. In a food processor, fitted with a
    metal blade, puree the strawberries until smooth. Turn into a mixing bowl, and add the remaining
    sliced strawberries. Mix well. This recipe yields about 2 cups.

Recipe Source: EMERIL LIVE with Emeril Lagasse From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # EM-1C24)

--
    Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

3. Daisy

Daisy Guest

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:24:27 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

>Daisy wrote:
    >
    >> I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I have an amount of fresh
    >> strawberries and would like to make a compote for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.
    >>
    >> I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some sort of red liqueur like
    >> cassis - or even port wine. I would add some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about
    >> 1 tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and pour over the syrup/gelatine
    >> mixture and leave to set.
    >>
    >> I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help me?
    >>
    >
    >This doesn't use gelatin, but I don't think you need it.
    >
    > Strawberry Compote
    >
    >Recipe By : Emeril Lagasse Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories :
    >Accompaniment Desserts
    >
    > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    > 3 pints Fresh strawberries -- washed, patted dry, and sliced 1 cup Sugar
    > 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
    >
    > In a non-reactive saucepan, over medium heat, combine 2 pints of the strawberries, sugar and
    > liquor. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the fruit is
    > soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. In a food processor, fitted with a
    > metal blade, puree the strawberries until smooth. Turn into a mixing bowl, and add the
    > remaining sliced strawberries. Mix well. This recipe yields about 2 cups.
    >
    > Recipe Source: EMERIL LIVE with Emeril Lagasse From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # EM-1C24)

Sorry - but this is nothing like any compote I have ever seen, or experienced. The above is pureed
    strawberry - of which there are literally hundreds of recipes around.

I want the recipe that does NOT heat the fruit in a pan, but leaves the fruit whole in a bowl with a
    heated mixture over the top. I simply cannot remember whether the mixture contained gelatine and
    arrowroot or either of them. - and I need the amount of sugar and water plus either the amount of
    gelatine and/or arrowroot.

Thanks for the reply though. Cheers

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

4. Denise~*

Denise~* Guest

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:16:49 +1300, Daisy <[email protected]>
    wrote:

>Oh, I am in summer where I am. That's why I have extra strawberries. But I think a compote should
    >embrace other fresh fruits also.

This one is from Cooks.com

STRAWBERRY & RHUBARB COMPOTE

1 qt. strawberries 2 1/2 c. rhubarb 1 5/8 c. water 4 1/2 c. sugar 1 tsp. cornstarch 1 tbsp. cold
    water Wash fruit, cook the rhubarb in water with the sugar, low heat. When soft take out rhubarb,
    boil strawberries 2 minutes in same water; take out, arrange with rhubarb in layers in bowl. Stir
    the cornstarch with cold water until smooth. Stir into hot juice and boil 2 minutes, stirring
    constantly. Pour over fruit. Serve hot or cold with cream. Serves 6 to 8.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?