General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Fresh produce for summer

Started by David Hare-Scott · · Last activity · 5 posts · 309 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
10 December 2005
Last activity
10 December 2005
Original author
David Hare-Scott
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
309
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production now.
    Last night we had zuccinis, cut when about the size of a man's middle
    finger, steamed with just a touch of butter, so sweet! The night before we
    had green and yellow salad; lettuce, rocket, basil, yellow baby button
    squash just blanched, butter beans ditto, with a simple oil and lemon juice
    dressing. Full of flavour and nutrition. I am so happy.

    We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos, capsicum
    etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure! Now I just need to find
    the $$ to put up a glasshouse so we can extend the growing season and have
    fresh veges most of the year.

    David

  2. David Hare-Scott wrote on 10 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production
    now. Last night we had zuccinis, cut when about the size of a man's
    middle finger, steamed with just a touch of butter, so sweet! The
    night before we had green and yellow salad; lettuce, rocket, basil,
    yellow baby button squash just blanched, butter beans ditto, with a
    simple oil and lemon juice dressing. Full of flavour and nutrition.
    I am so happy.

    We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos,
    capsicum etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure! Now I just
    need to find the $$ to put up a glasshouse so we can extend the
    growing season and have fresh veges most of the year.

    David

    Try Grilling the Zukes on the Barbie...liberaly brush them with Italian
    salad dressing...very nice.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.
    The ears keep the hat up.

  3. David Hare-Scott said:

    We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos, capsicum
    etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure!

    You use dead fish for fertilizer too!

    --Lia

  4. David Hare-Scott said:

    Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production now.

    We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos

    *Bated* breath... fish have baited breath

    Quoted message said:

    Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure!

    Hopefully *well composted* manure... you never want to place
    uncomposted manure in your garden.

    You need to get yourself a composter, can't garden without it.

    This is the one I have, very well made, only one I've seen with a 25yr
    warranty, and works very well. I've tried others but none have lasted
    more than a few years... the tumbling kind are the worst. I've been
    using this one I think 12 years now, still as good as new. Produces
    about 40 gallons (that's 8 five gal contractor pails full) of
    exceptionally rich humous twice each year.

    Best Buy: http://www.composters.com/docs/bins_p4.html#sm

    Sheldon Bio

  5. Sheldon replied to David Hare-Scott:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos

    *Bated* breath... fish have baited breath


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    You need to get yourself a composter, can't garden without it.

    This is the one I have, very well made, only one I've seen with a 25yr
    warranty, and works very well. I've tried others but none have lasted
    more than a few years... the tumbling kind are the worst. I've been
    using this one I think 12 years now, still as good as new. Produces
    about 40 gallons (that's 8 five gal contractor pails full) of
    exceptionally rich humous twice each year.

    I don't believe your composter would do a very good job making humous.

    From dictionary.com:

    humous
    n: a thick spread made from mashed chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and
    garlic; used especially as a dip for pita; originated in the Middle East
    [syn: hummus, humus, hommos, hoummos]

    humus
    n. A brown or black organic substance consisting of partially or wholly
    decayed vegetable or animal matter that provides nutrients for plants and
    increases the ability of soil to retain water.

    Bob

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.