Fresh produce for summer

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by David Hare-Scott, Dec 9, 2005.

  1. Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production now.
    Last night we had zuccinis, cut when about the size of a man's middle
    finger, steamed with just a touch of butter, so sweet! The night before we
    had green and yellow salad; lettuce, rocket, basil, yellow baby button
    squash just blanched, butter beans ditto, with a simple oil and lemon juice
    dressing. Full of flavour and nutrition. I am so happy.

    We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos, capsicum
    etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure! Now I just need to find
    the $$ to put up a glasshouse so we can extend the growing season and have
    fresh veges most of the year.

    David

    Tags:

  2. David Hare-Scott wrote on 10 Dec 2005 in rec.food.cooking

    > Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production
    > now. Last night we had zuccinis, cut when about the size of a man's
    > middle finger, steamed with just a touch of butter, so sweet! The
    > night before we had green and yellow salad; lettuce, rocket, basil,
    > yellow baby button squash just blanched, butter beans ditto, with a
    > simple oil and lemon juice dressing. Full of flavour and nutrition.
    > I am so happy.
    >
    > We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos,
    > capsicum etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure! Now I just
    > need to find the $$ to put up a glasshouse so we can extend the
    > growing season and have fresh veges most of the year.
    >
    > David

    Try Grilling the Zukes on the Barbie...liberaly brush them with Italian
    salad dressing...very nice.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  3. David Hare-Scott wrote:

    > We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos, capsicum
    > etc. Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure!

    You use dead fish for fertilizer too!

    --Lia

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    David Hare-Scott wrote:
    > Our rather delayed new vege garden is just getting into production now.
    >
    > We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos

    *Bated* breath... fish have baited breath

    > Isn't it wonderful what grows out of manure!

    Hopefully *well composted* manure... you never want to place
    uncomposted manure in your garden.

    You need to get yourself a composter, can't garden without it.

    This is the one I have, very well made, only one I've seen with a 25yr
    warranty, and works very well. I've tried others but none have lasted
    more than a few years... the tumbling kind are the worst. I've been
    using this one I think 12 years now, still as good as new. Produces
    about 40 gallons (that's 8 five gal contractor pails full) of
    exceptionally rich humous twice each year.

    Best Buy: http://www.composters.com/docs/bins_p4.html#sm

    Sheldon Bio

  5. Sheldon replied to David Hare-Scott:

    >> We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos

    > *Bated* breath... fish have baited breath

    <snip>
    > You need to get yourself a composter, can't garden without it.
    >
    > This is the one I have, very well made, only one I've seen with a 25yr
    > warranty, and works very well. I've tried others but none have lasted
    > more than a few years... the tumbling kind are the worst. I've been
    > using this one I think 12 years now, still as good as new. Produces
    > about 40 gallons (that's 8 five gal contractor pails full) of
    > exceptionally rich humous twice each year.

    I don't believe your composter would do a very good job making humous.

    From dictionary.com:

    humous
    n: a thick spread made from mashed chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and
    garlic; used especially as a dip for pita; originated in the Middle East
    [syn: hummus, humus, hommos, hoummos]

    humus
    n. A brown or black organic substance consisting of partially or wholly
    decayed vegetable or animal matter that provides nutrients for plants and
    increases the ability of soil to retain water.

    Bob