Frickin' [email protected]##[email protected]%!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bomba, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank and
    see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads even
    more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle with a
    hacksaw. It may take me some time...

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank
    > and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads
    > even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle
    > with a hacksaw. It may take me some time...
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    fuck the hacksaw, break out the oxy/acetylene torch!

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank
    >and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads
    >even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle with
    >a hacksaw. It may take me some time...

    D'Oh... there's a MUCH easier way.

    Just take out the crank bolt (sounds like you already did this) and go ride the bike. Do lots o'
    jumping with the left crank forward and backward. It'll come off soon enough. It's the same thing
    that happens when someone doesn't torque their crank bolts enough.

    I wouldn't recommend doing any kamikaze downhills while waiting for the crank to fall off though -
    around the block on the road would be a good idea.

    Oh, and it could possibly ruin the crank, though it sounds like that's already a foregone
    conclusion...

  4. bomba wrote:
    > So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank
    > and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads
    > even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle
    > with a hacksaw. It may take me some time...

    I wish I could say that hasn't happened to me, but I can't. Might I suggest finding someone w/ a
    good compressor and an assortment of air-tools..... They should have a cut-off wheel. Makes short
    work of it.

  5. "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank
    | and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads
    | even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle
    | with a hacksaw. It may take me some time...

    Why hacksaw hard steel when you could accomplish it much easier splitting the end of the crank arm?
    Is the BB shot? Slicing through exposed aluminum is far easier than going through hardened CroMo.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 1/27/2003

  6. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Ground Control© wrote:
    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > | So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank
    > | and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads
    > | even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle
    > | with a hacksaw. It may take me some time...
    >
    > Why hacksaw hard steel when you could accomplish it much easier splitting the end of the crank
    > arm? Is the BB shot? Slicing through exposed aluminum is far easier than going through
    > hardened CroMo.

    I was just thinking that. I'm just not exactly sure how I can saw the arm without damaging the frame
    in the process. I'll check out the logistics when I get home.

  7. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | Ground Control© wrote:
    | > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | > | So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side
    | > | crank and see that the thread is pretty weak.
    Try
    | > | it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads even more.
    Hooray!
    | > | Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle with a hacksaw.
    | > | It may take me some time...
    | >
    | > Why hacksaw hard steel when you could accomplish it much easier
    splitting
    | > the end of the crank arm? Is the BB shot? Slicing through exposed
    aluminum
    | > is far easier than going through hardened CroMo.
    |
    | I was just thinking that. I'm just not exactly sure how I can saw the arm without damaging the
    | frame in the process. I'll check out the logistics when I get home.

    I've actually done it on occasion with an air driven grinder, but you can probably take the
    blade out of a hacksaw and get at the edge, cutting deep enough to get a chisel in there and
    finish the job.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 1/27/2003

  8. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Nelson Binch wrote:

    > | I was just thinking that. I'm just not exactly sure how I can saw the arm without damaging the
    > | frame in the process. I'll check out the logistics when I get home.
    >
    > I've actually done it on occasion with an air driven grinder, but you can probably take the
    > blade out of a hacksaw and get at the edge, cutting deep enough to get a chisel in there and
    > finish the job.

    Yeah, I managed it eventually. Hacked it up loads and it eventually came off. Now have spangly,
    shiney new RF's on there.

  9. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Ground Control© wrote:
    > > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > | So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side
    > > | crank and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the
    > > | threads even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo
    > > | spindle with a hacksaw. It may take me some time...
    > >
    > > Why hacksaw hard steel when you could accomplish it much easier splitting the end of the crank
    > > arm? Is the BB shot? Slicing through exposed aluminum is far easier than going through hardened
    > > CroMo.
    >
    > I was just thinking that. I'm just not exactly sure how I can saw the arm without damaging the
    > frame in the process. I'll check out the logistics when I get home.

    Have anything better than a hacksaw? I'm thinking of something like a grinder with a smaller
    blade... I guess a heavy-duty Dremel tool or something like that. /s

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    supabonbon wrote:

    > Have anything better than a hacksaw?

    No.

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    DON'T DO IT. Don' t hack it, use a rotary tool with a diamon cut off wheel.

    Fire up MTB 03

  12. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Doof" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank
    > > and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads
    > > even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle
    > > with a hacksaw. It may take me some time...
    > >
    > > --
    > > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    > >
    > > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    > >

    > fuck the hacksaw, break out the oxy/acetylene torch!

    Thanks for once again proving that you don't know jack shit about bicycles, doofpig.

    Try a gear puller if you have one, Bomba.

    JD has old VW tools

  13. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    > "Doof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side
    > > > crank and see that the thread is pretty weak.
    Try
    > > > it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads even more.
    Hooray!
    > > > Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle with a hacksaw.
    > > > It may take me some time...
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    > > >
    > > > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    > > >

    > > fuck the hacksaw, break out the oxy/acetylene torch!
    >
    > Thanks for once again proving that you don't know jack shit about
    bicycles, doofpig.

    > Try a gear puller if you have one, Bomba.
    >
    > JD has old VW tools

    What's that JD, (1) 10mm wrench? ;^)

    Lance

  14. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hehehe, I just went thru the exact same scenario about two months ago. I got out my trust hammer,
    used a towel to keep the crank arm pointed up with the bike turned upside down. After a few solid
    whacks that made the bike flip over, it wasn't even beginning to budge. Getting excessively pissed
    off, I started looking thru my dremel tools, hacksaw, and other stuff, not finding anything that
    would work well IMO. Now I am ready to kill small children and animals, I lined it back up, and let
    fly with one last shot. The crank arm finally let go, and probably would have flown about a good 100
    feet if I wasn't in the garage. The bike almost did a complete flip in the air, and nearly landed
    back upside down. Damn, that felt good. After a little drywall patch for the point of crank-arm
    impact, I got my new RaceFace cranks and BB on now and life is good again.....

  15. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank
    > > and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads
    > > even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle
    > > with a hacksaw. It may take me some time...
    > >
    > > --
    > > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    > >
    > > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    > >

    > fuck the hacksaw, break out the oxy/acetylene torch!

    Applying that kind of heat near the bottom bracket shell is a sure way to warp it and misalign the
    frame let alone the possibility of cutting the BB shell. JD's post makes a lot more sense.

    --

    Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]posting.google.com...
    > "Doof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side
    > > > crank and see that the thread is pretty weak.
    Try
    > > > it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads even more.
    Hooray!
    > > > Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle with a hacksaw.
    > > > It may take me some time...
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    > > >
    > > > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    > > >

    > > fuck the hacksaw, break out the oxy/acetylene torch!
    >
    > Thanks for once again proving that you don't know jack shit about
    bicycles, doofpig.

    > Try a gear puller if you have one, Bomba.
    >
    > JD has old VW tools

    you fucking dumbass, can't tell a joke if it jumped up and bit your sorry ass in the face, sorry
    mother fucker...

  17. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "JustaDick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side
    > > > crank and see that the thread is pretty weak.
    Try
    > > > it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads even more.
    Hooray!
    > > > Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle with a hacksaw.
    > > > It may take me some time...
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    > > >
    > > > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    > > >

    > > fuck the hacksaw, break out the oxy/acetylene torch!
    >
    > Thanks for once again proving that you don't know jack shit about
    bicycles, doofpig.

    try using the gear puller, and pulling your no sense of humor, couldn't spot a joke if it jumped up
    and bit your sorry ass in the face, head out of your ass dumb mother fucker....

    > Try a gear puller if you have one, Bomba.
    >
    > JustaDick has old VW tools for the JESUS SAVES MICROBUS behind the Koresh
    style compound in Fruita

    Dave (The Cult of "lack of" Personality!)

  18. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side
    > > > crank and see that the thread is pretty weak.
    Try
    > > > it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads even more.
    Hooray!
    > > > Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle with a hacksaw.
    > > > It may take me some time...
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    > > >
    > > > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    > > >

    > > fuck the hacksaw, break out the oxy/acetylene torch!
    > >

    > Applying that kind of heat near the bottom bracket shell is a sure way to warp it and misalign the
    > frame let alone the possibility of cutting the BB shell. JD's post makes a lot more sense.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Dave Haley www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

    jeez, you guy's are a bunch og humorless folks ain't cha...

    Dave, nevermind.....

  19. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:56:14 GMT, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >bomba <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>So I've got my nice new Race Face BB and cranks through. Go to remove the old XT left-side crank
    >>and see that the thread is pretty weak. Try it with a crank puller, but just wrecked the threads
    >>even more. Hooray! Am now currently trying to work my way through the toughened cro-mo spindle
    >>with a hacksaw. It may take me some time...
    >
    >D'Oh... there's a MUCH easier way.
    >
    >Just take out the crank bolt (sounds like you already did this) and go ride the bike.

    Simpler is better....I'll keep this one on file.

    :-]