Friction gear shifter (for front chain rings)

rnewmark

Jun 17, 2009
I've got Shimano combined gear / brake shifters (indexed triple on left side, indexed 8 speed on right side). The triple always causes chain scrape down at the derailleur for many gear combinations, which I'm fed up with living with.

I'm considering replacing the triple with an 'old fashioned' down tube friction shifter, but that would spoil the look of the bike.

Does anyone know of a make of combined gear / brake shifter for the triple which is friction based - ie not indexed?

Thanks
Richard

rnewmark said:
I've got Shimano combined gear / brake shifters (indexed triple on left side, indexed 8 speed on right side). The triple always causes chain scrape down at the derailleur for many gear combinations, which I'm fed up with living with.

I'm considering replacing the triple with an 'old fashioned' down tube friction shifter, but that would spoil the look of the bike.

Does anyone know of a make of combined gear / brake shifter for the triple which is friction based - ie not indexed?

Thanks
Richard

Closest type would be CAMPAGNOLO one, made before 2006, any level. They are a 11 click ratcheting friction type that is compatible with any front derailleur.

I don’t want to sound rude, but have you tried adjusting the shifters? I am not sure what you mean by:
The triple always causes chain scrape down at the derailleur for many gear combinations, which I'm fed up with living with.
What are the many gear combinations you are talking about? Is it rubbing on the small ring and all across the cassette? Or is it in all the chainrings now matter what cog you are in?
Not really know what the issue is, you may need to double check the derailleur height as well as the limit screws. It would be best if you just start from the beginning and try to tune the derailleur. You can use the Park Tool website for help.

Park Tool Website

If you really want new shifters with friction on the left, you can always go with barcon’s.

Thanks for pointing me to the Park Tool web site, ... It looks really useful. However, the problem with 'chain scrape' is nothing to do with adjustment - it is the fundamental design of the indexed system. I've since discovered that the better gear/brake shifters have a trim feature (effectively 4 clicks instead of 3 for the triple) designed to eliminate the scrape.
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...00-2203/SI-6LX0B_EN_v1_m56577569830686309.pdf
Trimming (noise prevention operation)

so, other people have the problem too - it can't be just me choosing non-optimal front/back gear combinations.

rnewmark said:

Has the chain rub always existed OR did it manifest itself after you changed the chain?

Is the front derailleur the original, 8-speed front derailleur that came with the rest of the drivetrain?

How long/short are the chainstays on the frame?

I had a set of Shimano's 8-speed, 105 Triple-capable shifters & the only time I remember a problem was when I momentarily mis-matched a 9-speed Shimano chain (which created all kinds of unpleasant problems which were resolved before taking the bike back onto the road by re-installing an 8-speed Shimano chain) OR if the front derailleur wasn't trimmed.

As Peter mentioned, a Campagnolo LEFT shifter will resolve your problem ...

Because you are concerned with the cosmetics of your bike, you should get a pair ... a pair of non-QS, 10-speed Campagnolo shifters can be a direct replacement without any machinations other than unwrapping your handlebars, strapping the derailleur cable housing alongside the brake cable housing, and then re-wrapping the handlebars.

Thanks for all the replies. I think my problem stems from the fact that my Shimano shifters for the triple chainrings do not have a trim feature. They are about 7 years old. I thought all shifters were like mine!
I only just discovered that most new shifters come with this trimming feature.

But to buy new shifters, campagnolo or other, would be impractical. I see they are almost a quarter of the price of the bike new!

I think I'll have to go for a bar end shifter (and those aren't cheap for something so simple!), and ignore the cosmetics!

rnewmark said:
But to buy new shifters, campagnolo or other, would be impractical. I see they are almost a quarter of the price of the bike new!
FYI. I don't know how much-or-little you paid for your bike; but, you can often get a used set of non-QS, 10-speed Campagnolo shifters for under $100US ...

Better, yet, you can get a new pair of non-QS, 10-speed Campagnolo shifters for only a little more -- if you are patient, you should be able to get a new pair of the older-style (2000-to-2008), non-QS, 10-speed Campagnolo Veloce shifters for about $120US +/- through eBay.

N.B. The RIGHT Campagnolo shifter will be labeled with '10 SPEED' or '9 SPEED' (rare) or be blank (which means it is a 9-speed) or 'CARBON / BB-SYSTEM' (which means it is probably a 9-speed unless it was converted).

Again, the shifters you do NOT want have a 'QS' on the LEFT shifter.

Of course, you could spend 2-to-3 times more through mail order OR even more if you get the top-of-the-line through an LBS; but, why pay more?

Since your shifters presumably work, you can recoup a portion of the purchase price of a pair of Campagnolo 10-speed shifters by reselling your 8-speed Shimano shifters on eBay. Heck, because Shimano shifters seem to command an unwarranted premium, you may actually end up breaking even OR even being a little ahead after you are done!

I'll take your advice & look on eBay for non-QS Campagnolo. Although I never seem to have success on eBay if looking for something specific....

I've managed for 7 years, I can wait a little longer. The bike is a touring bike, which still only costs £450, and has had just about everything replaced 3 times (not shifters!) but is perfect for me

Bye for now

Well if you are going to buy a new shifter, why not also look for a newer shimano model. I use barcons, so I am not sure what model or what year shimano put the trim function in for the standard shift/brake levers. Hopefully somebody else will chime in. This way as you search you can look at both the Campy and Shimano models.

guidosan said:
Well if you are going to buy a new shifter, why not also look for a newer shimano model. I use barcons, so I am not sure what model or what year shimano put the trim function in for the standard shift/brake levers. Hopefully somebody else will chime in. This way as you search you can look at both the Campy and Shimano models.
The trim feature first came out on Shimano brifters in 2003 on the triple chainring 9-speed 105 and up.

I've just put in a bid for
SunTour bar end shifters on eBay (end time 05-Jan-10 20:42:22 GMT)

but if I don't get it, I suppose any brifters that have a trim feature will solve the annoying scrape problem (assuming that the trim feature does actually work well and consistently).

Now that I've discovered the word 'trim', I see that the forums are chock-a-block full with threads about it. After reading more about it, barcons for simplicity seem to make more sense....