friction only (or switchable) bar end shifters

cloudhead

Jul 8, 2010
Hello, I am in need of replacing some worn-out bar end shifters on a 1985 Trek 720 touring bike that I am restoring. The existing are Suntour. Rear is 5 cogs, front 3 cogs, Sachs-Huret Duopar derailleur. I'm trying to keep as much of it original as possible, but since this will be a long-distance tourer again, I need reliability.

Are the Shimano Ultegra shifters that claim to be switchable between index and friction compatible with older friction derailleurs? Any other suggestions appreiated. Ebay's choice of replacement originals is not very promising.

Thanks,

Court

cloudhead said:
Hello, I am in need of replacing some worn-out bar end shifters on a 1985 Trek 720 touring bike that I am restoring. The existing are Suntour. Rear is 5 cogs, front 3 cogs, Sachs-Huret Duopar derailleur. I'm trying to keep as much of it original as possible, but since this will be a long-distance tourer again, I need reliability.

Are the Shimano Ultegra shifters that claim to be switchable between index and friction compatible with older friction derailleurs? Any other suggestions appreiated. Ebay's choice of replacement originals is not very promising.

Thanks,

Court

In friction mode, yes.

cloudhead said:

Yes, the RIGHT Shimano bar end shifter can be toggled between indexed & friction modes.

You may be inputting the wrong search parameter for SunTour Barcons (or, other brand) bar end shifters ... they may not be numerous, but they are certainly available.

BTW. I haven't taken a Barcon apart, but I think that you may be able to rejuvenate your current shifters by cutting new shims/washers from EITHER thin brass sheet (which you can buy from a 'hobby store') OR a soda/beer can OR possibly plastic (e.g., the clear from a vacuum packed item OR the bottle cap from a plastic milk jug, etc. ... try different thicknesses & densities).

alfeng said:
Yes, the RIGHT Shimano bar end shifter can be toggled between indexed & friction modes.

You may be inputting the wrong search parameter for SunTour Barcons (or, other brand) bar end shifters ... they may not be numerous, but they are certainly available.

BTW. I haven't taken a Barcon apart, but I think that you may be able to rejuvenate your current shifters by cutting new shims/washers from EITHER thin brass sheet (which you can buy from a 'hobby store') OR a soda/beer can OR possibly plastic (e.g., the clear from a vacuum packed item OR the bottle cap from a plastic milk jug, etc. ... try different thicknesses & densities).

The problem is a stripped head of the bolt that holds the shim in. Actually it's beyond stripped--it's thrashed. It was stripped 20 years ago and has been sitting in storage corroding ever since. I was hoping to find a way to work it out but I think i have to drill it out at my friends metal shop if i want to save the handlebars.

I found some nice shifters last night at Velo Orange that should work fine and look nice too. Dia Compe Silver Bar-End Shifters (warning: a dangerous site to visit when restoring a touring bike!!)

I do want to thank you for that advice tho. Since I plan to be far away from any bike shops on this bike, it's good to know how to adapt broken parts whenever the time may come.