Friction shifter missing something?

Dan O

Guest
http://www.daisyheadmayzie.net/~dan/DSC00115.JPG (~500kB, server goes
offline for ~8hrs/day at ~7GMT or so)

If I tighten the downtube shift lever for my front double enough to
hold the derailer, it is very hard to shift, and doesn't feel right at
all. Seems like something's missing (outer parts shown in linked
pic). Seems like there should be teflon washer or something like that
between the spring steel plate and the alum (?) lever.

If I am missing a piece, where can I get a replacement? (short of
buying a whole shifter on ebay) Should I just cut a washer out of
plastic milk jug or thin leather or pleather or cardboard? Maybe a
couple washers of different diameter? (the spring steel plate is flat
and the inside of the lever is tapered down to the hole)

On Jun 15, 9:04 am, Dan O <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.daisyheadmayzie.net/~dan/DSC00115.JPG(~500kB, server goes
> offline for ~8hrs/day at ~7GMT or so)
>
> If I tighten the downtube shift lever for my front double enough to
> hold the derailer, it is very hard to shift, and doesn't feel right at
> all. Seems like something's missing (outer parts shown in linked
> pic). Seems like there should be teflon washer or something like that
> between the spring steel plate and the alum (?) lever.
>
> If I am missing a piece, where can I get a replacement? (short of
> buying a whole shifter on ebay) Should I just cut a washer out of
> plastic milk jug or thin leather or pleather or cardboard? Maybe a
> couple washers of different diameter? (the spring steel plate is flat
> and the inside of the lever is tapered down to the hole)

Should have added it's a Shimano S-424 shifter (I think).

On Jun 15, 9:04 am, Dan O <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://www.daisyheadmayzie.net/~dan/DSC00115.JPG(~500kB, server goes
> offline for ~8hrs/day at ~7GMT or so)
>
> If I tighten the downtube shift lever for my front double enough to
> hold the derailer, it is very hard to shift, and doesn't feel right at
> all. Seems like something's missing (outer parts shown in linked
> pic). Seems like there should be teflon washer or something like that
> between the spring steel plate and the alum (?) lever.
>
> If I am missing a piece, where can I get a replacement? (short of
> buying a whole shifter on ebay) Should I just cut a washer out of
> plastic milk jug or thin leather or pleather or cardboard? Maybe a
> couple washers of different diameter? (the spring steel plate is flat
> and the inside of the lever is tapered down to the hole)

Okay, I've got to do something to get me to work in the morning. I'm
going to cut a washer out of a cereal box and see if that helps.

On Jun 15, 11:02 am, Dan O <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 9:04 am, Dan O <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >http://www.daisyheadmayzie.net/~dan/DSC00115.JPG (~500kB, server goes
> > offline for ~8hrs/day at ~7GMT or so)

> > ... downtube shift lever... Seems like something's missing...
> > Seems like there should be teflon washer or something like that
> > between the spring steel plate and the alum (?) lever.

> > If I am missing a piece... [can] I just cut a washer out of
> > plastic... or cardboard?

> Okay, I've got to do something to get me to work in the morning. I'm
> going to cut a washer out of a cereal box and see if that helps.

Well, it doesn't seem any worse with cardboard in there. We'll see...

Dan O wrote:
> http://www.daisyheadmayzie.net/~dan/DSC00115.JPG (~500kB, server goes
> offline for ~8hrs/day at ~7GMT or so)
>
> If I tighten the downtube shift lever for my front double enough to
> hold the derailer, it is very hard to shift, and doesn't feel right at
> all. Seems like something's missing (outer parts shown in linked
> pic). Seems like there should be teflon washer or something like that
> between the spring steel plate and the alum (?) lever.
>
> If I am missing a piece, where can I get a replacement? (short of
> buying a whole shifter on ebay) Should I just cut a washer out of
> plastic milk jug or thin leather or pleather or cardboard? Maybe a
> couple washers of different diameter? (the spring steel plate is flat
> and the inside of the lever is tapered down to the hole)

Shimano Type L or Z shifter, yes?

Clean and oil all internal surfaces. Crud doesn't move as easily nor
hold as well as a clean oil film. If still trouble no harm in adding a
thin polyvinyl washer I suppose.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>