Friction shifter on a Campag 10 speed drivetrain

Nick Burns

Guest
Has anyone tried friction shifters on a 10 speed Campag drivetrain? I want to set up a TT bike and
would like to have friction shift levers mounted on the bar extension,

TIA

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Has anyone tried friction shifters on a 10 speed Campag drivetrain? I want to set up a TT bike and
> would like to have friction shift levers mounted on the bar extension,

Friction shift levers will work with *any* drivetrain. It is a true advantage to them, although
indexing has become so popular that it is now ubiquitous.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

>Has anyone tried friction shifters on a 10 speed Campag drivetrain? I want to set up a TT bike and
>would like to have friction shift levers mounted on the bar extension,

It'll work but you will have trouble getting clean shifts due to the very narrow cog spacing. Why
not use the Campy 10 bar end levers made for this application? Phil Brown

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anyone tried friction shifters on a 10 speed Campag drivetrain? I want to set up a TT bike and
>would like to have friction shift levers mounted on the bar extension,

I just replaced my Campy 8 speed bar ends (on my TT bike) with Dura Ace 9 speeds because they
provide a friction shift mode. I have two race wheels - one with Campy spacing and a disc with
Shimano spacing. Now it doesn't much matter which wheel I'm running - just slip in in and go (and I
can trim the derailleur - after all, my hands are just sitting there on the shifter anyway with
nothing else to do...).

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Has anyone tried friction shifters on a 10 speed Campag drivetrain? I want to set up a TT bike and
> would like to have friction shift levers mounted on the bar extension,

Having only ever used friction up to that point, I tried friction DT shifting on shimano 9. Whilst
it worked, it felt a lot more fiddly than on a seven and I abandoned any idea of racing on it as
nobody else would be fiddling like that.

With a six/seven, if you got it slightly wrong you could still ride out of saddle with a hint
of rattle, but with these chamfered teeth and close spacings virtuoso skill is required for
rapid shifts.

Andrew Bradley

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just replaced my Campy 8 speed bar ends (on my TT bike) with Dura Ace 9 speeds because they
> provide a friction shift mode. I have two race wheels - one with Campy spacing and a disc with
> Shimano spacing. Now it doesn't much matter which wheel I'm running - just slip in in and go (and
> I can trim the derailleur - after all, my hands are just sitting there on the shifter anyway with
> nothing else to do...).

What about shifts before out of saddle climbs and corners. No probs? Do bar end shifters have more
travel than DT shifters? (Which would presumably reduce the skill factor)

Andrew Bradley

Chris-<< Has anyone tried friction shifters on a 10 speed Campag drivetrain? I want to set up a TT
bike and would like to have friction shift levers mounted on the bar extension, >><BR><BR>

The 'big barrel' C-Record friction shifter coupled with a modern rear der would get all 10
cogs...these were made in about 1989-1991...I can get ya a pair. The older smaller barrel, with a
slant parallogram rear der, would require the shifter to move more than 180 degrees to get the
biggest cog.

[email protected] (Andrew Bradley) wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I just replaced my Campy 8 speed bar ends (on my TT bike) with Dura Ace 9 speeds because they
>> provide a friction shift mode. I have two race wheels - one with Campy spacing and a disc with
>> Shimano spacing. Now it doesn't much matter which wheel I'm running - just slip in in and go (and
>> I can trim the derailleur - after all, my hands are just sitting there on the shifter anyway with
>> nothing else to do...).
>
>What about shifts before out of saddle climbs and corners. No probs? Do bar end shifters have more
>travel than DT shifters? (Which would presumably reduce the skill factor)

I haven't actually RIDDEN it yet (that's the bike I crashed heavily on, and there aren't any TTs
coming up so I've hung it up for a while).

I guess there is SOME advantage to being able to slap the shifter down a couple clicks before a
corner, but I also like being able to fine-tune the chain, so I think overall I'll like the shifting
better (I'll be sure and report if I don't).