Friction shifting Vs Index

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>

> > Indexed shifting is a wonderful thing. One of several that have

represented
> > significant progress for the bicycle (the others being dual-pivot

brakes,
> > lighter saddles that are actually comfortable, helmets that don't look

like
> > mushrooms, and high-performance clincher tires...

> It's just interesting to me how things that are very important to one
> person can be quite negligible to another person who's doing exactly the
> same things.

Or, important in some circumstances but not others. Of my 7 current bikes, 3
have friction, 1 has an early version of Shimano indexed shifting that I run
as friction because I'm more used to it, and 3 have gripshift indexed
shifting. I don't miss indexing on my road bikes, but I can't imagine
riding my recumbent without it, because I shift gears much, much more often
on the recumbent -- can't stand up. Likewise, mountain bikes actually ridden
off-road on rough terrain are easier to deal with if you can keep both hands
on the bars at all times.

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:07:51 +1000, bubelrocks
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes, Jeff, this is a new bike, but it shifts onto all rings smoothly.
>Thanks for all the replies that let me know small hands can be a
>problem with STI. My initial thought before I even rode the bike was
>that I wanted indexed bar-ends, and I think my experience & the balance
>of this advice is confirming that this is the way to go, partly because
>I'm a trundler, not a racer, spending a fair bit of time on the tops &
>the ends of the drops. I think I'll get cyclocross-style auxiliary
>brake levers to make me comfy on the tops as well. Thanks to all. :)

Hi, I just thought of something, have you tried shifting from over the
tops? I can't even reach the shifter levers, when in the drops. I ride
with my hands on the tops of the hoods and I shift/brake that way.
Rest your thumbs on the hood tops and reach down to the levers. If
this technique works for you, you might find it more comfortable and
convenient than bar cons.

I'm no racer, either, but I like to go as fast as I can, much of the
time. I have the add on brake levers on my other bike, I got them
primarily to improve my braking abilities on the left/front brake. For
some reason the STI levers are easier for me to use, for braking, than
the aero brake levers that I have on that bike.

Try using your STI levers from over the hoods and let us know how that
works.

Life is Good!
Jeff

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:41:32 -0500, Jeff Starr wrote:

> Hi, I just thought of something, have you tried shifting from over the
> tops? I can't even reach the shifter levers, when in the drops.

That's usually an unfortunate consequence of "ergo" bars, traditional
"maes" bend or similar bars would reduce this reach quite a bit but may or
may not be as comfortable for you overall.

I threw some Ritchey Biomax bars on my old road bike because I really like
the flat portion before the hoods, and the shallow drop. I've got rather
long fingers, but find the reach to the brake levers to be barely adequate.