Friction

Tim Hall

Guest
Today I did experiments involving friction.

First involved the coefficient of friction of tyre rubber on
wet tarmac. At 71kph on a slight left hander there isnn't
enough friction to keep a tandem where it should oughter be.

Second involved lycra on wet tarmac. When sliding down the
road on yer raes, lycra wears through _very_ quickly.

Which leads us quickly to the third experiment, involving
skin and tarmac. This lasts about the same time as lycra,
but hurts more.

And I got a hole in my brand new Altura jacket. Can they
be patched?

Tim

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:16:41 GMT, Cipher
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tim Hall wrote:
> > Can they be patched? Tim
>

>Which one, the lycra shorts, yer raes, or your brand new
>Altura jacket? :D

All three can be patched, but it would probable be a waste
of time to ask a doctor to conduct a painful skin graft
operation on a patch of skin which will probably self repair
in a week or two.

Originally posted by Tim Hall
Today I did experiments involving friction.

First involved the coefficient of friction of tyre rubber on wet tarmac. At 71kph on a slight left hander there isnn't enough friction to keep a tandem where it should oughter be.

Second involved lycra on wet tarmac. When sliding down the road on yer raes, lycra wears through _very_ quickly.

Which leads us quickly to the third experiment, involving skin and tarmac. This lasts about the same time as lycra, but hurts more.

And I got a hole in my brand new Altura jacket. Can they be patched?

Tim

Sounds like a nasty bit of research was undertaken there :(

Good job the "experiment" did not extend to seeing what the friction co-efficient was of bone on tarmac and how long it needed to be in contact with the road surface before the body was brought to rest :eek:

Get your **** patched up with band-aid. As for your jacket - a good stripe or two of duct tape will do the job ;)

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in
message > And I got a hole in my brand new Altura jacket.
Can they be patched?

Sorry to hear of your crash. I cut my Gore jacket in my
first crash last month and looked in the yellow pages under
"Clothing Alterations". Found several places there that
will repair clothes.

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net