Friction

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    Today I did experiments involving friction.

    First involved the coefficient of friction of tyre rubber on
    wet tarmac. At 71kph on a slight left hander there isnn't
    enough friction to keep a tandem where it should oughter be.

    Second involved lycra on wet tarmac. When sliding down the
    road on yer raes, lycra wears through _very_ quickly.

    Which leads us quickly to the third experiment, involving
    skin and tarmac. This lasts about the same time as lycra,
    but hurts more.

    And I got a hole in my brand new Altura jacket. Can they
    be patched?

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Cipher

    Cipher New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2002
    Which one, the lycra shorts, yer raes, or your brand new Altura jacket? :D

  3. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:16:41 GMT, Cipher
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tim Hall wrote:
    > > Can they be patched? Tim
    >

    >Which one, the lycra shorts, yer raes, or your brand new
    >Altura jacket? :D

    All three can be patched, but it would probable be a waste
    of time to ask a doctor to conduct a painful skin graft
    operation on a patch of skin which will probably self repair
    in a week or two.

  4. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004

    Sounds like a nasty bit of research was undertaken there :(

    Good job the "experiment" did not extend to seeing what the friction co-efficient was of bone on tarmac and how long it needed to be in contact with the road surface before the body was brought to rest :eek:

    Get your arse patched up with band-aid. As for your jacket - a good stripe or two of duct tape will do the job ;)

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message > And I got a hole in my brand new Altura jacket.
    Can they be patched?

    Sorry to hear of your crash. I cut my Gore jacket in my
    first crash last month and looked in the yellow pages under
    "Clothing Alterations". Found several places there that
    will repair clothes.

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  7. Msa

    Msa Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > At 71kph on

    Jeez! I feel for ya.

    --
    Mark (MSA) This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not
    volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during