Friday the 13th. Are you afraid?

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
Today is Friday the 13th,at least it is here as I type this. The superstition that this day is bad luck stems from ancient times from many beliefs, that I won't go into,but you are welcome to post your stories as to why if you wish.
I am aware that the superstition may be more pronounced in the US than elsewhere.
I myself pay little attention to the date and go about my usual business.
I have read that many people do not travel on Friday the 13th but statistically hospitals show as much as a 52% increase in visitation on this date.
How many of you will forego riding your bike today or avoid other activities that you would normally do?

jhuskey said:
Today is Friday the 13th,at least it is here as I type this. The superstition that this day is bad luck stems from ancient times from many beliefs, that I won't go into,but you are welcome to post your stories as to why if you wish.
I am aware that the superstition may be more pronounced in the US than elsewhere.
I have read that many people do not travel on Friday the 13th but statistically hospitals show as much as a 52% increase in visitation on this date.
How many of you will forego riding your bike today or avoid other activities that you would normally do?
today is my birthday....

turned out to be good luck for me today....

I hadn't even realized it was the 13th until I noticed this post.

Time to drop off my home equity line payment.

MountainPro said:
today is my birthday....

Happy birthday!
I got married on Saturday the 13th and my anniversary is on Friday the 13th sometimes.
So far so good.

So MP...do you get lucky on Friday the 13th?

MountainPro said:
today is my birthday....

happy Birthday Pro !

A few beers to celebrate, eh ?
Or maybe a meal out ?

jhuskey said:

JH, Friday 13th is as strong here as it is in your neck of the woods.

A lot of superstition pertains to it here in this country.
I pay little attention to it to be honest although I wouldn't go out of my way to tempt fate either !

I read soemwhere that Fri 13th and the superstition arose from the Last Supper (Good Friday, 12 Disciples and Jesus Christ = 13).
Who knowswhat the origins of the superstition is.
I expect that there are many claims as to how it started.

jhuskey said:
Happy birthday!
I got married on Saturday the 13th and my anniversary is on Friday the 13th sometimes.
So far so good.

So MP...do you get lucky on Friday the 13th?
cheers, ..

i am usually lucky i suppose on my birthday, people keep giving me stuff and talking me out for a meal or a pint...

the Friday 13th superstition is very prevalent i the UK...even before the Jason movies.

It could have something to do with the Last Supper as lim suggested but i know it at least dates back to medeaval times...

limerickman said:
happy Birthday Pro !

A few beers to celebrate, eh ?
Or maybe a meal out ?
Hi Lim,

tonite its a pizza, a couple of cold beers and a DVD...saving up for my trip to Cali this June...so i asked my wife to keep her money and spend it there intsead..

MountainPro said:
Hi Lim,

tonite its a pizza, a couple of cold beers and a DVD...saving up for my trip to Cali this June...so i asked my wife to keep her money and spend it there intsead..

very good.
When are you off to Ca ?

limerickman said:
very good.
When are you off to Ca ?
late June 2005 for 3 weeks...

staying near LA and were visiting DisneyLand, Vegas, San Fransisco...all the usual tourist hostspots...

anyone got any suggestions as to where i should visit in the locality?

Well, it's sunny out today, and it's supposed to rain all weekend. Superstition or not, I'm planning on bailing out of the office early to go riding.

limerickman said:
JH, Friday 13th is as strong here as it is in your neck of the woods.

A lot of superstition pertains to it here in this country.
I pay little attention to it to be honest although I wouldn't go out of my way to tempt fate either !

I read soemwhere that Fri 13th and the superstition arose from the Last Supper (Good Friday, 12 Disciples and Jesus Christ = 13).
Who knowswhat the origins of the superstition is.
I expect that there are many claims as to how it started.

As you say the Last Supper and the crucifiction in theory occured on Friday and many other stories from ancient times as an origin.
The increased number of accidents may be due to people staying home instead of traveling.
People tend to pay less attention to safety in a familiar environment.

MountainPro said:
scary...imagine that, two people born on the same day of the year...

Where is FREDC? I have a very interesting murder case to discuss with him.
Amusement park manager charged with second degree murder.

MountainPro said:
late June 2005 for 3 weeks...

staying near LA and were visiting DisneyLand, Vegas, San Fransisco...all the usual tourist hostspots...

anyone got any suggestions as to where i should visit in the locality?

Mt Diablo! ~30km east of SF. I've got an extra bike you can borrow. Bring SPD shoes and your lungs.

I heard the 13 thing came from the number of witches in a coven. Also heard 13 is a good number in Italy.

http://www.templarhistory.com/philip.html

This is the Reason the Friday the 13th is unlucky.

Philip "Le Bel" called Philip the Fair was born in the year 1268, 0ne hundred and fifty years after the formation of the Knights Templar and was King of France from 1285-1314. How could someone as corrupt as he, be called by the people, Philip the Fair? The term "The Fair" was a reference to Philip IV's good looks, being tall and handsome with long blonde hair and blue eyes. Philip Le Bel, in contrast to his pleasing looks, was a cold and secretive man who had strong wishes for France to be the head of the empire. In order to accomplish this plan he would need great financial resources (which the Templars possessed) and a week and subservient Papal Throne. Philip is well known for his battles with Boniface VIII (see chronology below) At one point Philip publicly burned Boniface VIII's Bull Unam Sanctam which gave the Pope absolute supremacy over everyone.

There was, at the time of around 1305, a plan to unite all the religious fighting orders into one order called the Knights of Jerusalem. A plan, which Jacques de Molay was involved in but disapproved of, for fear that the other orders were not, as disciplined as his Templar Knights. The supreme ruler of this order (The Rex Bellator or War King) was Philip Le Bel's desire. In fact he even went so far as to make this a proposal to Rome, stating that future Kings of France should automatically be given the title and any extra revenues of the order given to the Rex Belletor. The uniting of the orders never did come to be.

Philip's persecution of the Templars in his quest for money was not his first attempt to destroy a people. He first went after the Jews and the Italian bankers (Lombards) He expelled Jews from France after taking their properties.

"First he seized all the Jews in his kingdom and forced them to give up their fortunes by removing one of their eyes and threatening to remove the other"

The Magic Of Obelisks
Peter Tompkins

Philip in his quest for more and more money, recalled all the coinage and melted it down for his usage. He then replaced it all with coins minted of lesser value. This in a round about way, is probably the first recorded case of devaluing currency. It was when Philip so devalued the French currency that he was forced to seek refuge from his people in a Templar shelter. Here in the Paris temple, Philip became aware, perhaps for the first time of the true wealth of the Knights Templar. It was here in the protecting arms of the order that he first manifested the idea of stealing their vast wealth for his political agenda.

As the Templars were free of all authority save for that of the Papal Throne, the only way Philip could lawfully seize Templar assets was to accuse them of magic and heresy, which he did through his right hand man, Guillaume de Nogart, who has King Philip's chancellor. An interesting side note to Guillaume is that the lawyer's parents had been burned at the stake as Albigensian heretics.

On Friday the 13th of October 1307 (the real reason the day carries bad luck) all the Templars in France were arrested on a variety of charges and accusations. The trials of the Templars lasted from that date through until March 19th, 1314 when Jacques de Molay the last (known) Grand Master of the order was burned at the stake. So the story goes, as he burned in agony, he invited both Philip and to join him within a year. Philip the Fair, accuser of the Templars died in 1314, perhaps helping to perpetuate some of the myths of occultism surrounding the Templar knights.

DiabloScott said:
Mt Diablo! ~30km east of SF. I've got an extra bike you can borrow. Bring SPD shoes and your lungs.

I heard the 13 thing came from the number of witches in a coven. Also heard 13 is a good number in Italy.

Now Pro - you've no excuses, you can get some training in while you're over in sunny Ca in June, with Diablo !!!
Should be nice and warm there too.
No need for the leg/arm warmers that we use in this part of the world.

My girlfriend and I watched all the Friday the 13th movies (1-11) over 6 months. It was fun, but never scary. Good horror is mostly silly.